U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:28 PM

9 posts, read 78,660 times

Advertisements

Not to immediately start off this thread by making any enemies, but we would like to relocate to an area of NC where liberals are not frowned upon. We have grown used to the politics around us (though we know that is not the norm, even for CA). We are not super-crazy lefties, just moderately left.....But we are nowhere near extremely far right.

We don't tolerate racism, and do not want to expose our child to any place that accepts it. We are pro-labor, pro-working families. There are other things that are very important: education and cost of housing, job outlook, and things to do.....ie: culture, parks, outdoor activites, etc.

My husband and I cannot afford to raise our family in the bay area of Northern California anymore. Though we do own a home, we have been outpriced. Working to the bone to just barely get by is no way of life. Having to constantly worry whether we can pay the bills, just so we can be home-owners is no way of life. A horrible education system is no way of life for our child.

So, we are in search of a better place. My research so far points to Chapel Hill or Carrboro, NC.

Any other places in NC that might suit our left-leaning family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2006, 07:47 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,324,710 times
Orange & Durham Counties are the most left-leaning by far. Also Warren, Northampton, Hertford, Bertie and Edgecombe Counties a little less.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-08-2006 at 08:00 PM..

Old 05-08-2006, 08:30 PM

104 posts, read 411,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpoodle
Not to immediately start off this thread by making any enemies, but we would like to relocate to an area of NC where liberals are not frowned upon. We have grown used to the politics around us (though we know that is not the norm, even for CA). We are not super-crazy lefties, just moderately left.....But we are nowhere near extremely far right.

We don't tolerate racism, and do not want to expose our child to any place that accepts it. We are pro-labor, pro-working families. There are other things that are very important: education and cost of housing, job outlook, and things to do.....ie: culture, parks, outdoor activites, etc.

My husband and I cannot afford to raise our family in the bay area of Northern California anymore. Though we do own a home, we have been outpriced. Working to the bone to just barely get by is no way of life. Having to constantly worry whether we can pay the bills, just so we can be home-owners is no way of life. A horrible education system is no way of life for our child.
So, we are in search of a better place. My research so far points to Chapel Hill or Carrboro, NC.

Any other places in NC that might suit our left-leaning family?
Okay. Here I am. A Moderately Liberal community of one (two with my husband). There are some of us and some who don't want to 'self-identify' in this political environment. I just can't wait for the Republicans to run their course and let things get back to normal. Some people aren't smart enough to know there is a difference between Liberal and 'ultra left liberal'. Welcome to the state. We will win this cause! You should check out removed

Last edited by Yac; 05-10-2006 at 02:37 AM..

Old 05-08-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Orange & Durham Counties are the most left-leaning by far. Also Warren, Northampton, Hertford, Bertie and Edgecombe Counties a little less.

It is interesting that these are the places you will find the most educated people too. Hummm.....

Old 05-08-2006, 08:34 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,848,215 times
I think by what your saying Carrboro would be good for you and right next to Chapel Hill. Basically you can walk from one to the other. I myself like walking around Carrboro. You have some some unique shops there. You will love the Weaver Steet Market there. It is owned by the community. I love to go get their coffee, sit out front and meet some interesting people. removed Best of luck to you if I can help in anyway let me know.

Regards,

Debbie

Last edited by Yac; 05-10-2006 at 02:37 AM..

Old 05-08-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF
I think by what your saying Carrboro would be good for you and right next to Chapel Hill. Basically you can walk from one to the other. I myself like walking around Carrboro. You have some some unique shops there. You will love the Weaver Steet Market there. It is owned by the community. I love to go get their coffee, sit out front and meet some interesting people. http://www.weaverstreetmarket.org/ (broken link) Best of luck to you if I can help in anyway let me know.

Regards,

Debbie
I'm not sure you'd want to live in Carrboro if you are a mature adult. It is mostly college students. You might want to check out Hillsboro.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,519,696 times
Durham is the most liberal big city in NC. but that's most likely becaue it of it's very large black population. It's more "blue" just by voting democratic, than atually "liberal" Chapel Hill is probably the most liberal town in NC, with a population of about 50k. Much of the northeastern/tidewater area of the state is also very "blue" but that again is because it's majority black population, and not so much being "liberal".

Old 05-08-2006, 10:09 PM

9 posts, read 78,660 times
So far it sounds like Chapel Hill is still the place for us......I can't wait to see it in early June. Will it be very humid the first week of June?

Thanks for the input so far. I appreciate the insider's views!

Any other places out there I have overlooked?

Old 05-08-2006, 10:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,519,696 times
Humid? YEAH. June-August this place is like a sauna.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:51 PM

4 posts, read 25,939 times
One thing you should note - housing can be pretty expensive in Chapel Hill. Carrboro is generally cheaper in that department, but not quite as attractive an area, either. You will, of course, find a lot of college students as Carolina Girl noted, but once you get off the campus, it's not nearly so college kid dominated.

Local politics are a big deal in Chapel Hill, and it's definitely the most left-leaning part of the state (the city recently hired a marketing firm to come up with a slogan for the town and it came back with "Left of Center, Right at Home." The city rejected it, but still...)

As for culture, outdoor activities, etc, Chapel Hill definitely has its offerings. The campus and surrounding area is beautiful with some great walking/jogging paths, an arboretum, etc. There's also a planetarium, and the university's theater puts on some pretty good productions. And of course, college sports are huge.

Some of the local schools are a bit lacking, though. Also, there are one or two events a year that, after dark, get pretty dangerous.

I'll cut myself off here, but let me know if you have any other questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina