U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 06:00 PM

64 posts, read 242,926 times

Advertisements

mY FAMILY AND I ARE LOOKING FOR A SMALL TOWN IN/ BY THE MOUNTAINS OF NC WHERE WE GET SNOW BUT IS ALSO NO MORE THAN 30 MIN FROM SHOPPING AND SPORTS, BALLET, BASEBALL, CUB SCOUTS AND SHOPPING. eNOUGH POPUKLATION TO SUSTAIN A JOB AS A HEATING AND AIR TECH ,,,,, ANY IDEAS?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 08:07 PM

73 posts, read 264,594 times
HELLO
BOONE OR BLOWING ROCK ARE BOTH SMALL TOWNS THAT RECIEVE AN GOOD AMOUNT OF SNOW.
QUINCY5121@NETZERO.NET

Old 12-31-2006, 04:07 PM

787 posts, read 3,317,460 times
Don't make the mistake of coming to Snow Hill if you are actually after snow. We were named for the white sands on the hills that resemble snow by the Indians back in 1799. What hills is beyond me. We have two good size ones that I would classify as hills. There is some areas that is wrapped up with kuduz that might have been hilly in the past and sandy. But not anymore. We don't get that much snow. Every now and then we get a good size one. Just enough to be inconvenient for a few days. But you can't count on it every winter.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 67,409 times
North of Winston Salem, Mount Airy, Pilot Mountain.... Lots of snow, but close to town.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:10 AM

26 posts, read 105,290 times
What is it like living in Snow Hill? How are the elementary schools? Hope to soon be a damn Yankee and maybe looking to settle in in Snow Hill or Ayden

Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 AM

507 posts, read 2,275,287 times
Snow? What is this snow you speak of?

You would have to go to the northern mountain counties and be over 3000' to see anything substantial. Boone, Blowing Rock area. The French Broad basin is pretty dry and average annual snowfall in Asheville is around 15". There has only been 1.9" recorded at the Asheville airport this winter. The winters over the past five years or so have been nothing but pathetic as far as snow goes. That 15" average is pretty optimistic. Boone, on the other hand, averages 40" of snow annually.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:38 AM

787 posts, read 3,317,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy1 View Post
What is it like living in Snow Hill? How are the elementary schools? Hope to soon be a damn Yankee and maybe looking to settle in in Snow Hill or Ayden
Snow Hill is a quiet little town. The schools are pretty good. I mean we all went to them. I graduated from the same school as my children did. And now my grandchildren are going to the same schools. We are about equal distance all the way around from larger towns like Kinston, Wilson, Greenville, Goldsboro. Where I live Kinston is slightly closer that the others. But people in the western end of the county would be closer to Goldsboro. I have to say the people are what we call good folks. Nothing was any plainer that on a couple of occasions that we needed these good folks and they came through for us. And now when someone else's child need medical care and the like, we donate and buy the barbaque plates and the like. There are no bowling alley and thearters as you would have to go to one of the towns I have mentioned for that. But if you want to live in a rural quiet area, I think Snow Hill has a lot to offer. I have lived here almost my entire life.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:55 PM

50 posts, read 252,806 times
How much snow are you looking for? Most of the towns listed still don't get much snow compared to other regions of the country. I think the largest snow Boone had this year was like 2 inches. Sure some years they get big snows but you can't really count on it just like any NC location. Just something to think about.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:09 PM

251 posts, read 1,050,553 times
I agree. You can't count on a lot of decent and consistent snowfalls anywhere in the state unless you live 6684' atop Mt. Mitchell.

But then you've got gale force winds to contend with.

To keep the blood flowing in our veins we do get nifty ice storms knocking power out for about a week though! We fire up the gennies and cook wieners on the propane grill all week long while wearing our old northern thermals and wondering why it feels so much colder than it did in the north. Yep, there's nothing like a good 'ole humid southern winter where you can't drive anywhere!

Come on down, y'all!

I'm serious. Ask everyone else living here. They'll tell you I'm not fibbing. I mean it!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...torm-back.html

Old 03-12-2007, 05:45 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,375,466 times
For what you're looking for, I'd check out Mars Hill. It's just north of Asheville and all it has to offer. It's a beautiful little college town and get about 18" of snow a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina