U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,898,424 times

Advertisements

Wake County will probably overtake Mecklenburg within the next several years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2006, 09:01 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,666,080 times
Stay clear of Raleigh, Charlotte, and maybe even Asheville now. Dont live in the suburbs of any of these cities. Then you should be fine.

I live near Huntersville, which is just north of Charlotte. There are as many NY and NJ plates as there are NC plates on the road. No, Im not kidding. People moving here think they are moving to some paradise but actually if youve lived here all your life you know its not (anymore). The natives of Charlotte and Mecklenburg county are being taxed out and most have left already. It will be more common for you to hear a northern accent than a southern accent in Charlotte, I know the Raleigh area has to be the same way.

If you move out east or west, you will find numerous small quaint towns. But they do not have a thriving economy or big paying jobs like Charlotte. Just slow paced towns that time has seemingly passed by. And that sounds like what you are looking for. Find it on your own. If someone tells you about it it means its already been discovered and the yankees are preparing for the next town takeover.

Last edited by Carolina_native; 05-09-2006 at 09:08 PM..

Old 05-09-2006, 09:11 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,666,432 times
Asheville doesn't seem to have a great number of the NY & NJ folks, but we do have a lot of Florida transplants at least during the months of April through October. Then it's back to the winter home.

If we had a lot of NY & NJ folks, I could probably find a decent sub, pizza and bagel shop around here. Nothing's worse than the southern versions.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-09-2006 at 09:49 PM..

Old 05-10-2006, 09:15 AM

16 posts, read 67,953 times
Sugar,
I was in the other direction in CT., and the NY "mindset" (nasty, arrogant, materialistic, non-livestock, etc.) invaded what used to be a little farming town. The mercedes and big SUV's replaced the pick-ups. I used to go down the road and wave to several times to friends I passed. They came for the cheaper land and taxes and then insisted on all the amenities they had in their previous place and once they outnumbered the "old timers", they started voting the extras in and as I left, my house taxes were ready to about double. I bailed in Nov. and landed in CA, which is an awful place. I am outside the bay area and the people there are the same as the new yorkers. I am leaving the first part of June and heading to where I originally intended, NC. I too, don't want to be around any yankees, I want to be around country people, with old-fashioned American values, so I can have my livestock again and hopefully live in peace.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:17 AM

143 posts, read 443,461 times
I was pleased when a couple of the kids working in the Verizon store in Durham, after hearing that we were moving to Mebane, said, "Why? Boooring."

To my mind, Alamance County had what I was looking for. It is my fervent hope that the high-maint types do not find it

Old 05-10-2006, 01:14 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,391 times
Yeah, Alamance County (which I live about 10-20 minutes from) seems to be mostly rural/small town. (Other than Burlington, of course, which isn't really a big city.) I too hope it remains mostly undiscovered.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:26 PM

132 posts, read 367,414 times
Shhhhh..... I won't tell if you don't. I think I'm going to take the advice of another poster and find quaint places myself through a little old fashioned exploring. I wouldn't want to spoil anything. And I don't want other Northerners to find it because that would defeat the purpose of moving away from them.

We want to fit in with people down there not change them in the least bit. If anything we want to change. We don't fit in here anyway. People keep saying we are crazy for moving down there because it is so "slow", we say that is exactly the way we like it.

Thanks for all of the help everyone! Perhaps one day our paths will cross.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,898,424 times
So the term for you would be a "Doughface", as opposed to the much more hated "Carpetbagger". You should fit in better then.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:19 PM

463 posts, read 1,518,582 times
NW Guilford County. Summerfield, Oakridge, Pleasant Garden, NW Greensboro, Stokesdale. Great places to live, close to amenities.
Stokesdale is more rural than the rest but also more reasonably priced. Might be too much of a culture shock for you though.

We don't have flocks moving here yet :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia
Hi all,
we are looking to relocate from the Northeast to near the Raleigh area (haven't decided where yet), but after reading many of these posts we started to get worried.

Here is the deal: we want to get away from the people from New York and New Jersey (sorry, I don't mean to offend, but we have grown up near there our entire lives and we are very displeased with this area right now). Honestly, we want to move out into the "country". We want close to an acre of land and the small town friendliness we thought we would get there. If we wanted to live with Yankees we would stay up north.

When we came to visit last year, it seemed exactly like what we are looking for, now we are not so sure. I suppose my real question is then, where can we go to stay away from the transplants? They are the reason we are moving out of our state. They invaded us first, ruined life here for us, then made their way down the coast.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 PM

136 posts, read 704,297 times
I've heard the acrnonym Clayton Let All Yankes Take Over Now as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina