U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2006, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest NC
1,611 posts, read 4,406,370 times
Reputation: 891

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojoe315
I've heard the acrnonym Clayton Let All Yankes Take Over Now as well.
We "Take Over" in areas where we are hired for jobs, where homes are built & marketed to us...
by whom? Your elected officials & businesspeople of course!

To all of those who do not want us in your towns, be sure the Powers That Be control the amount of building & jobs... that will do the trick.

Now I have to figure out, do you prefer that we keep to our ghettoes or that we "infest" your communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2006, 06:48 PM
JAS
 
Location: Metro Atlanta
569 posts, read 1,775,920 times
Reputation: 514
Default chill out

I think some of you need to relax about the "yankee" issue. I imagine that someone with a southern accent who moved to New Jersey would also get some jokes about his accent, mannerisms, etc. And if you think that there aren't any anti-southern people in the northeast, you're kidding yourselves.

If you're a nice person, others will be nice to you regardless of where you're from. If you're a jerk, others will treat you as such.

Most of the people you meet in the cities of NC don't really care. And the NC natives from the rural areas think that native NC'ers fom the cities are uppity, so you wouldn't be treated any differently than everyone else anyway.

Most of the time I hear the term Yankee, it is generally used in a joking manner, as opposed to "Let me go beat up a Yankee".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 PM
 
Location: New York
152 posts, read 441,077 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
I think some of you need to relax about the "yankee" issue. I imagine that someone with a southern accent who moved to New Jersey would also get some jokes about his accent, mannerisms, etc. And if you think that there aren't any anti-southern people in the northeast, you're kidding yourselves.

If you're a nice person, others will be nice to you regardless of where you're from. If you're a jerk, others will treat you as such.

Most of the people you meet in the cities of NC don't really care. And the NC natives from the rural areas think that native NC'ers fom the cities are uppity, so you wouldn't be treated any differently than everyone else anyway.

Most of the time I hear the term Yankee, it is generally used in a joking manner, as opposed to "Let me go beat up a Yankee".

My parents taught me a long time ago, it's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it.
I think the reason some people (including myself) are taking offense to the "yankee bashing", is because that is exactly what it is.
What is the difference what car one chooses to drive? Or what clothes they wear? I read one post where some NC native (or considers herself to be, although not) refers to Northeners wearing socks with loafers. Are they kidding? Do they not have a life? When something like what kind of car I drive bothers you, (generally speaking), does that not say something about the type of person you are? Live and let live.
Sorry, I'm just venting.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2006, 07:13 PM
 
1,035 posts, read 2,653,671 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014
[/b]
My parents taught me a long time ago, it's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it.
I think the reason some people (including myself) are taking offense to the "yankee bashing", is because that is exactly what it is.
What is the difference what car one chooses to drive? Or what clothes they wear? I read one post where some NC native (or considers herself to be, although not) refers to Northeners wearing socks with loafers. Are they kidding? Do they not have a life? When something like what kind of car I drive bothers you, (generally speaking), does that not say something about the type of person you are? Live and let live.
Sorry, I'm just venting.....
You are so right (socks with loafers was a fashion thing yrs ago with the penny in the shoe)

I prefer dress socks with sneakers (those old italians will know what I mean)

...I agree if all these things bother people I wish I had so little in life to worry about, I don't care what people drive or where as there are far to many others issues in my life to even consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2006, 07:14 PM
 
741 posts, read 3,263,826 times
Reputation: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
I think some of you need to relax about the "yankee" issue.
The way this "term" is being used here is very derogatory.
Most of the time I hear the term Yankee, it is generally used in a joking manner, as opposed to "Let me go beat up a Yankee".
LOL,
maybe with a rifle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2006, 07:24 PM
JAS
 
Location: Metro Atlanta
569 posts, read 1,775,920 times
Reputation: 514
Default socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014
[/b]
My parents taught me a long time ago, it's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it.
I think the reason some people (including myself) are taking offense to the "yankee bashing", is because that is exactly what it is.
What is the difference what car one chooses to drive? Or what clothes they wear? I read one post where some NC native (or considers herself to be, although not) refers to Northeners wearing socks with loafers. Are they kidding? Do they not have a life? When something like what kind of car I drive bothers you, (generally speaking), does that not say something about the type of person you are? Live and let live.
Sorry, I'm just venting.....
I'm not sure where the socks or car issue is coming from. I went to college in FL with some urban south-Floridians (who would never EVER consider themselves to be southern) who also made fun of northerners with socks & sandals, so it's not a southern thing if that's what you're talking about.

All I know is that I work in an extremely old-money, good-old-boy, conservative town (High Point), and I just don't see the yankee-bashing that some of you are talking about. Maybe it's because business and money are involved, but we have a mixture of NC natives and "yankees" in our office and everyone gets along fine. This includes a Long Island native, someone from upstate NY, 2 from PA, and a few people from Mich, Minn, Wisc, and Illinois.

Sorry, but I just don't see the hostility. I hear jokes, but the "yankees" also make jokes about southerners and nobody gets upset about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2006, 07:28 PM
 
741 posts, read 3,263,826 times
Reputation: 397
Us Yankees work hard, long hours because we know that's the only way to get ahead . If our hard work affords us the luxury of driving nice cars, SUV's, Hummer's or whatever so what we pay the bill. Someone said they miss seeing all the pickup trucks because we came in "droves" with our fancy wheels. There's plenty of NC residents driving the same fancy wheels. We come and contribute to your economy. You should see our newspaper's, It's NC advertising. I do not make fun of people from NC when I see them here in our "Diners" and today alone I saw about 7 different NC plates, I smiled at each one of them. I didn't say hey, What the *** are you doing here, Go Home. The Boardwalk here in NJ, on the 4th of July my family was sittting right next to a family from Greensboro watching the fireworks, we had great conversation, we didn't think they're accent was something to make fun of. We have alot of diversity here, with All types of people, it would be boring without them. Now, "Illegals" are another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2006, 07:46 PM
 
Location: New York
152 posts, read 441,077 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
I'm not sure where the socks or car issue is coming from. I went to college in FL with some urban south-Floridians (who would never EVER consider themselves to be southern) who also made fun of northerners with socks & sandals, so it's not a southern thing if that's what you're talking about.

All I know is that I work in an extremely old-money, good-old-boy, conservative town (High Point), and I just don't see the yankee-bashing that some of you are talking about. Maybe it's because business and money are involved, but we have a mixture of NC natives and "yankees" in our office and everyone gets along fine. This includes a Long Island native, someone from upstate NY, 2 from PA, and a few people from Mich, Minn, Wisc, and Illinois.

Sorry, but I just don't see the hostility. I hear jokes, but the "yankees" also make jokes about southerners and nobody gets upset about it.
I'm very happy to hear that you work in a place where everyone plays nice. That's the way it should be.
The mention of the socks and car thing was just me venting about another thread I had read and didn't respond to.
The hostility was not and is not on my part. Re-read the thread, if you will. And not just this one. There is much anomosity(sp.?) from the native/or not so native(lol) NCers, against "northeners", that is such crap. Like I said before, what is the difference what car I drive? When their pick-up is stuck on the side of the road, I will be there to help, BMW, SUV, rollerblades, kickers, hyundai, whatever, to help. And I hope they will do they same for me and my family. That's all.
As for friendly joking/ribbing. Bring it on.....I love a good joke, even if at the butt end of it.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2006, 08:13 PM
 
Location: New York
152 posts, read 441,077 times
Reputation: 63
Yankees? 26 world championships,enough said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 PM
 
164 posts, read 318,952 times
Reputation: 79
New York has always been the world's biggest melting pot, with acceptance of everyone, including people from every state. California, for decades and decades, has been the destination of choice for people from every country and, also important here, every state in the U.S. I hope that when we arrive in NC, we are welcomed with the same acceptance as we bestowed, for decades, on those from NC when they arrived in California. For our part, we promise to work hard to become Carolinians and to be respectful and enthusiatic about the culture there. That seems fair, doesn't it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top