U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,653,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014
Good points. Did you hear they were trying to put a Home Depot on Sunrise Hgwy where the LIPA bldg is? The community has stopped it so far. We will see who wins in the future.
I am guilty of shopping at these big chains too. But when we need something small, we shop at the local hardware and pharmacy. We used to own a small business years ago, so we know how it feels, but JAS was right. Why are people going to pay more of their hard earned $$ to help us stay in business?

These things apparently based on all the stores down there is not unique, wherever there are people, buisnesses flood the area, and it appears to be happening in NC too, I like small pharmacies too...unforuntely many are gone due to the Cv's and eckerds we have one every other corner - how many does one area need, ANYWHERE? In time, which has occurred in some areas, these stores are closing -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 10:22 AM

956 posts, read 4,072,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
If people didn't want Wal-Mart, Lowe's, etc they would go out of business. People vote with their dollars, and the votes often go towards the favor of businesses with lower prices when you're talking about durable goods.

If the guy who has been in the hardware business for 100 years had better prices and more selection, I would go to him over the big boxes. But I'm not going to pay him more money for a smaller selection of goods just to keep him in business.

The same doesn't hold true with what I would call "unique" goods. I eat at locally-owned restaurants much more than I do the chain places because the quality of food, the atmosphere, etc. appeals to me. My dollars have voted, and so have others' since those local places have stayed in business.

I would rather pay Home Depot $15 for an extension cord than pay Pop's Store $20 for the same item (assuming that it is even in stock).
My point was really, you can't blame the proliferation of Big Box stores in NC
on the Northerners or Floridians etc. It is an economic function independent of "who" is buying there. Cheaper always wins.
In fact my Dad felt like you do. When Lowe's opened in Marion, I asked him if he thought it would hurt the older lumber yards. God rest his soul, he said, "I hope so, they have been robbing people for long enough."

Old 08-10-2006, 10:26 AM

956 posts, read 4,072,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia
. I suppose my real question is then, where can we go to stay away from the transplants? They are the reason we are moving out of our state. They invaded us first, ruined life here for us, then made their way down the coast.
Maybe I missed it, but where are you now and how did this invasion take place?

Old 08-10-2006, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 20,416 times
I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading some of the posts on this thread. I live in Alamance County which is between Greensboro and Durham. (Hey there, Mebane friends! I grew up in Hawfields and now live south of Graham.) There are several Yankees here now -- my next-door neighbors are from Long Island and New Hampshire -- but we get along great. Sure we joke about our cultural differences, but it's all in good fun. Maybe other folks feel differently and truly dislike those from the North, but I find most Yankees intriguing and I enjoy teasing about accents and differences. All in good fun for me! My LI neighbor teaches at the local middle school and she tells stories about her kids gaping at her when --as Jen puts it -- "I get New York on them!" The students enjoy her though and she them. She calls them "southern belles" and "biscuits" since they tease her about her accent. Must say, her accent has mellowed some in the years she's been in NC (she's 33 and been here since college) so she doesn't sound nearly as bad as her mom who still lives on Long Island. LOL, I love to hear her talk about getting a cup of "cawfee." :-D

Welcome Northern friends! Looking forward to meeting you. :-)

Old 08-10-2006, 07:38 PM

152 posts, read 440,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading some of the posts on this thread. I live in Alamance County which is between Greensboro and Durham. (Hey there, Mebane friends! I grew up in Hawfields and now live south of Graham.) There are several Yankees here now -- my next-door neighbors are from Long Island and New Hampshire -- but we get along great. Sure we joke about our cultural differences, but it's all in good fun. Maybe other folks feel differently and truly dislike those from the North, but I find most Yankees intriguing and I enjoy teasing about accents and differences. All in good fun for me! My LI neighbor teaches at the local middle school and she tells stories about her kids gaping at her when --as Jen puts it -- "I get New York on them!" The students enjoy her though and she them. She calls them "southern belles" and "biscuits" since they tease her about her accent. Must say, her accent has mellowed some in the years she's been in NC (she's 33 and been here since college) so she doesn't sound nearly as bad as her mom who still lives on Long Island. LOL, I love to hear her talk about getting a cup of "cawfee." :-D

Welcome Northern friends! Looking forward to meeting you. :-)
Hi Susanne. You have made my night!!! I hope our paths cross when we move there. We bought a home in Summerfield and will be moving in less than 2 weeks. We are from LI and I can't wait to get there. Maybe we'll do cawfee

Old 08-10-2006, 08:32 PM

42 posts, read 168,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj
Almost this whole thread is "Northern Bashing" I have to say this , When Anyone from the Southern States moves up "NORTH" you will not find us bad mouthing you at all. .

I'm gonna raise the BS flag here. I'm from NC and married military. We were stationed in NJ for 7 years. I heard plenty from the folks up there from hurtful things about my accent to my way of life. And quite frankly, the majority of the people we met were not very friendly and that was from one end of the state to the other. Heaven forbid we were to ask someone how they're doing in a store, they acted as if we wanted something from them instead of just being friendly.

It wasn't everyone we met, we made quite a few good friends there as well. I just wanted you to know, that yes some of the folks up north still think us southerners are slow and stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
I think some of you need to relax about the "yankee" issue. I imagine that someone with a southern accent who moved to New Jersey would also get some jokes about his accent, mannerisms, etc. And if you think that there aren't any anti-southern people in the northeast, you're kidding yourselves.

right on Jas

Old 08-10-2006, 08:52 PM

Maybe you smelled bad

LOL

Old 08-10-2006, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 13,141 times
Hi to all;
I am from Lynn, Massachusetts. I will retire in 4 to 5 years. I don't think my retirement income (combined with my wife's) will meet expenses where I live. I am looking to re-locate in or near Hendersonville. I looked at your weather. My wife needs a climate without extremes (neither too hot or too cold ). I just would like to not be shoveling out of big blizzards anymore. My wife was concerned about the possibility of tornadoes. We are friendly people who like to keep to ourselves. We take people as they treat us. We are not very religious. Would we be welcome there?

Old 08-10-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysteve
Hi to all;
I am from Lynn, Massachusetts. I will retire in 4 to 5 years. I don't think my retirement income (combined with my wife's) will meet expenses where I live. I am looking to re-locate in or near Hendersonville. I looked at your weather. My wife needs a climate without extremes (neither too hot or too cold ). I just would like to not be shoveling out of big blizzards anymore. My wife was concerned about the possibility of tornadoes. We are friendly people who like to keep to ourselves. We take people as they treat us. We are not very religious. Would we be welcome there?
Well, be careful steve.... you'll be adding to the traffic. and lets not forget about the walmart you'll be bringing in on your moving truck. and the way you talk...........forghettaboutit. And the bugs......omg......you've never seen any like this, they look they like wear wigs......and if you're friendly, but from Mass., then you better move to Cary......you know....the place that alllllllllllllllllll us YANKEES go to. You'll be accepted there. You can live next door to your NJ neighbor. Or if you're really lucky, the neighbors that you live next to in Mass., will be your new neighbors...............Good Luck Steve
ps....the humidity will be just fine for your wife....only 100% in the spring on most days.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 13,141 times
Default Piping in again

Re: Walmart.
I am here to say it is true. Walmart has wiped out most of the smaller stores around me and now their prices are going way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina