U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-10-2006, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Lynn, MA.
5 posts, read 13,141 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

All I want is a garage to PARK my CAR
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2006, 06:41 AM
 
741 posts, read 3,263,051 times
Reputation: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelf
I'm gonna raise the BS flag here. I'm from NC and married military. We were stationed in NJ for 7 years. I heard plenty from the folks up there from hurtful things about my accent to my way of life. And quite frankly, the majority of the people we met were not very friendly and that was from one end of the state to the other. Heaven forbid we were to ask someone how they're doing in a store, they acted as if we wanted something from them instead of just being friendly.

It wasn't everyone we met, we made quite a few good friends there as well. I just wanted you to know, that yes some of the folks up north still think us southerners are slow and stupid.




right on Jas
How many flags do you have? I never heard anyone say Southerners are slow and stupid! Let's see, I come from Southern blood. My family is all from the mountains in Virginia, unfortunetly, as a child I had to go with momsie to NJ. My father speaks with such a strong southern accent I say What a million times. And we laugh.My southern family has comprised a "book" well it's our family tree ( looks like a book though) This tree dates back to the 1700's , All from Virginia, Tennesse, NC, SC and even some in Kentucky. I would be highly offended if anyone said my father was slow and stupid. He still lives on that mountain with his cows, chickens, dog, and horse! The majority of people you met were not friendly? Well, the majority of people I have met were friendly, except when I go visiting in Virginia and travel without my dad. Because I'm still considered a "Yankee" it doesnt matter how much Southern blood pumps through my veins, I don't talk Southern therefore I'm not considered Southern. But, hey that's OK.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2006, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Georgia
1,258 posts, read 2,077,802 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
What are you guys talking about...... didn't you get the memo.... WE'RE the mean ones. Southerners are undisputedly more friendly and welcoming than Northerners. It's a fact! (hey, isn't that actually the reason that many of you say you want to move south?)
Yes Southerners are definately more friendly and welcoming than Northerners, it's much easier for them to put the knife in your back that way!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2006, 02:27 PM
 
Location: New York City
104 posts, read 358,353 times
Reputation: 41
That's unfortunate. However, when you move to a non-transplant area, you will be the transplants, thereby making it a new transplant area for others to follow.

It's a bit odd how you couldn't get along with anyone from NY or NJ. Perhaps you're the problem, not them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Hi all,
we are looking to relocate from the Northeast to near the Raleigh area (haven't decided where yet), but after reading many of these posts we started to get worried.

Here is the deal: we want to get away from the people from New York and New Jersey (sorry, I don't mean to offend, but we have grown up near there our entire lives and we are very displeased with this area right now). Honestly, we want to move out into the "country". We want close to an acre of land and the small town friendliness we thought we would get there. If we wanted to live with Yankees we would stay up north.

When we came to visit last year, it seemed exactly like what we are looking for, now we are not so sure. I suppose my real question is then, where can we go to stay away from the transplants? They are the reason we are moving out of our state. They invaded us first, ruined life here for us, then made their way down the coast.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by New_Yorker; 08-26-2006 at 02:36 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2006, 07:12 PM
 
Location: CT
20 posts, read 99,198 times
Reputation: 17
Wont you too be"a transplant"?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2006, 02:35 AM
 
Location: Long Island
3 posts, read 14,604 times
Reputation: 17
Default Dam yankees

As another NY'er who is considering the move off of LI and down to Raleigh I can understand the view of native NC's getting annoyed at those of us too. After all, I am a native Long Islander and I am leaving because we were also invaded, by ILLEGALS! However,please understand our situation up here first before you judge. I can't blame you for stereotyping all Northerners as bad, because I am sick and tired of trying to find the good in the mexican invaders on Long Island. I resent the fact that 75% of my tax bill goes to the schools up here, and it's not because our schools are so great, we are footing the bill for those that don't pay taxes. OUr school system spends $14,000 more per pupil than anywhere else in the country and we get absolutely nothing in return for our money. When our children graduate high school and college, very rarely do they stay on long island because of the lack of jobs, salary, and affordable housing. We also have an over redundancy of government=higher taxes. We have state tax, village tax, library tax, water tax, fire tax, county tax, and anything else the corruption that they call government can think to tax us on here. And we are not even getting quality service for our money!!! While I cant speak for all the transplants my wife and i are both Republicans, and when the liberal mindset took over Long Island it also destroyed the quAlity of life here. It bothers me too that the liberals created this problem here and then they complain about the high cost of living and want to move! Our open land and beautiful landscape which we once enjoyed has been knocked down to be replaced by low income housing, jobs are non existent unless you want a 12 hour workday and 4 hours of commuting to NYC! Liberals love the excuse that the illegals will do the jobs that no one else wants, but now they are taking over the supermarkets, department stores, and any other job they can take from us. Oh did I mention the gangs? I bet northerners don't go down to NC and start gangs right? Well up here we have Latin Kings, MS-13, etc. They are in out schools with our kids, causing havoc on our streets, tying up our healthcare system and our police and ambulance resources. Long Island is a sinking ship, those of us that see the writing on the wall know to get out now. I really don't see the logic in paying $400k for a "Starter home" with an $8,000 property tax bill, and a $350 per month electric bill. Salaries on Long Island? Not much more than long island, and here our economy is headed for a crash. Most people are robbing peter to pay paul, home equity loans are a source of income here! Our corrupt politicians with their liberal beliefs are not looking at the long term here. While our elected officials are suppose to represent us, they are more interested in pay offs, gifts,etc. from developers and business with alterior motives such as cheap labor. There is no one here to look out for the little guy anymore. Our largest employer here is local government, people don't have a voice here because the majority wont "**it where they eat".

Forgive me because I have rambled on, but I hope that for every obnoxious NY'er that moves to NC there is another that leaves a good impression. My apologies for those that have made it harder for those like myself. I look forward to starting over, from what I have seen so far- NC reminds of what Long Island once was, when there was hope!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2006, 08:10 AM
 
33 posts, read 107,287 times
Reputation: 24
^ Being a native LIer I see LINYmk's point. It is a sad commentary but most of it is true.

On LI you will find a lot of people picking up and going because the majority of LIers are from families that did the same thing not too long ago...from Europe to NYC/Brooklyn to Long Island... it's in our blood to keep moving for a better life for our families. Most of us are not rooted here for generations.

It is sad what has happened on LI -- from the taxes, to the political corruption to the contamination of our resources.

I would only hope that we are not seen as outsiders but as Americans looking for a better quality of life we feel we can get elsewhere. Not all NYers are looking for the golden ticket in NC -- just a little reprieve and some quality time with our families without worrying about meeting the next months bills.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2006, 08:15 AM
 
889 posts, read 2,849,873 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYmk View Post
As another NY'er who is considering the move off of LI and down to Raleigh I can understand the view of native NC's getting annoyed at those of us too. After all, I am a native Long Islander and I am leaving because we were also invaded, by ILLEGALS! However,please understand our situation up here first before you judge. I can't blame you for stereotyping all Northerners as bad, because I am sick and tired of trying to find the good in the mexican invaders on Long Island. I resent the fact that 75% of my tax bill goes to the schools up here, and it's not because our schools are so great, we are footing the bill for those that don't pay taxes. OUr school system spends $14,000 more per pupil than anywhere else in the country and we get absolutely nothing in return for our money. When our children graduate high school and college, very rarely do they stay on long island because of the lack of jobs, salary, and affordable housing. We also have an over redundancy of government=higher taxes. We have state tax, village tax, library tax, water tax, fire tax, county tax, and anything else the corruption that they call government can think to tax us on here. And we are not even getting quality service for our money!!! While I cant speak for all the transplants my wife and i are both Republicans, and when the liberal mindset took over Long Island it also destroyed the quAlity of life here. It bothers me too that the liberals created this problem here and then they complain about the high cost of living and want to move! Our open land and beautiful landscape which we once enjoyed has been knocked down to be replaced by low income housing, jobs are non existent unless you want a 12 hour workday and 4 hours of commuting to NYC! Liberals love the excuse that the illegals will do the jobs that no one else wants, but now they are taking over the supermarkets, department stores, and any other job they can take from us. Oh did I mention the gangs? I bet northerners don't go down to NC and start gangs right? Well up here we have Latin Kings, MS-13, etc. They are in out schools with our kids, causing havoc on our streets, tying up our healthcare system and our police and ambulance resources. Long Island is a sinking ship, those of us that see the writing on the wall know to get out now. I really don't see the logic in paying $400k for a "Starter home" with an $8,000 property tax bill, and a $350 per month electric bill. Salaries on Long Island? Not much more than long island, and here our economy is headed for a crash. Most people are robbing peter to pay paul, home equity loans are a source of income here! Our corrupt politicians with their liberal beliefs are not looking at the long term here. While our elected officials are suppose to represent us, they are more interested in pay offs, gifts,etc. from developers and business with alterior motives such as cheap labor. There is no one here to look out for the little guy anymore. Our largest employer here is local government, people don't have a voice here because the majority wont "**it where they eat".

Forgive me because I have rambled on, but I hope that for every obnoxious NY'er that moves to NC there is another that leaves a good impression. My apologies for those that have made it harder for those like myself. I look forward to starting over, from what I have seen so far- NC reminds of what Long Island once was, when there was hope!
Ditto for California, same complaints that people will never understand because they have not lived through it. With the exception of property taxes not being that high due to Prop. 13. (Thank goodness for that.)
Some people will never understand the magnitude of the Illegial Immigrant invasion/issue that is ruining their states.
When your state is run over by 38% of it now being Hispanic and projections of over 50% in the next 5- 10 years then tell me for all the people that feel a "Northern, Western, Floridian" invasion what would you rather have?????
I am not against these people personally, most are wonderful people who are looking for a better quality of life and survival, they are hard working people. But, with so many concentrated in a few select areas, i myself in Calif. began to feel lke i was living in Mexico, not Calif.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2006, 08:46 AM
 
Location: MI
333 posts, read 1,097,180 times
Reputation: 168
Just curious - where do these people "live" in CA with such high costs of living.

Saw on TV the other day that large amounts of crops in both Florida and CA are going unharvested since the illegals are being cracked down on and its harder to get over the border. Those that do get over are going into construction where they make on average $15/hour as opposed to $10/hour in the crop fields. Interesting... but I still try to figure out which $450K house they are living in on $10/hour. Even apartment rates are very expensive in SoCal

They say "Americans" won't do these jobs... I think the problem is the Americans who WOULD do such jobs can't afford the area where these jobs are located... if I am going to make $10/hour I'd rather do it in Tulsa Oklahoma where I can buy a house for $130,000 or rent an apartment for $500/month. Why go to CA?

Anyhow in theory your oranges and lemons should be costing more down the road since the places where these products are grown are too expensive for low wage Americans to live and we are paying illegals $15/hour to build our $600K southern Cal homes
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2006, 09:17 AM
 
889 posts, read 2,849,873 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
Just curious - where do these people "live" in CA with such high costs of living.

Saw on TV the other day that large amounts of crops in both Florida and CA are going unharvested since the illegals are being cracked down on and its harder to get over the border. Those that do get over are going into construction where they make on average $15/hour as opposed to $10/hour in the crop fields. Interesting... but I still try to figure out which $450K house they are living in on $10/hour. Even apartment rates are very expensive in SoCal

They say "Americans" won't do these jobs... I think the problem is the Americans who WOULD do such jobs can't afford the area where these jobs are located... if I am going to make $10/hour I'd rather do it in Tulsa Oklahoma where I can buy a house for $130,000 or rent an apartment for $500/month. Why go to CA?

Anyhow in theory your oranges and lemons should be costing more down the road since the places where these products are grown are too expensive for low wage Americans to live and we are paying illegals $15/hour to build our $600K southern Cal homes
Simple, they live either in apartments with no joke, can be up to 12 people living in them. They will sleep in bathrooms, dining rooms you name it. They tend to live in L.A, Salinas, Fresno, North, South you name it. Basically all areas that are harvested as well.I was close to Salinas( Lettuce Capitol of the World) with the town mostly now all hispanics.For the ones that move out of the fields they are in construction paying a starting wage of $12-14 and moving up in the trades.They work very hard for that money and are very happy with it. They are also in the tourist areas and are in the Hotel/Resort Industry.
They have no qualms doubleing up with family members to rent or buy homes. Mortage lenders are happy to finance a home with two couples on the deed. This i know for a fact.Then they rent rooms out as well. They are very creative.For the ones that work the "system" the claim they are unmarried single mothers with 4 kids or so as their husbands go out and work for cash.They get all kinds of food stamps, housing money, day care etc. They know more about "WlK" and "section 8" than i ever will.
By the way there is no home in the area i left for $450k More like $650k and they buy homes
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top