U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 14,611 times

Advertisements

Another thing that drives the housing market so ridiculously high here are the investor owned properties. It is very rare to drive down any block on Long Island that doesn't have at least 1/3 of the houses with accessory apartments. These investors will turn a single family home into an array of illegal apartments housing sometimes up to 50 illegals in it! They are literally destroying the neighborhoods from the inside out! Common sense would tell you that if you eliminated accessory apartments you would eliminate most of the problems, but corrupt politicians accept payoffs in the laundered sense of political donations. If you work hard and save for your home you want to raise your family in you will take some pride in your neighborhood and the condition of your home, but if you are renting a house with 40 other "Compadres" you could care less. Investors are willing to pay $500k for a crappy home here because they know they can generate Thousands a month in rent, most of them paying off the houses within a year. I simply can't afford to pay a $3000 a month mortgage for a starter home, to the investors it's not a home but a money making machine. And with the ratio of new immigrants to non looing for housing there will always be a demand to house undocumented workers here. The illegals on Long Island get treated far better than those of us paying taxes- Free healthcare, goverment services, schools, jobs, and leeway with law enforcement because the cops are so frustrated that it is out of their hands too. Imagine paying $8k in property taxes and living next to undocumented illegals? Blasting spanish music all night on the front lawn, fighting, garbage everywhere as they whistle at your 11 year old daughter playing hopscotch in front of your house. But the liberals here attempt to control people like me and ignore the problem by being quick to blast us and labeling us as racists! As I said before, the politicians know full well that the Long Island economy is headed for a crash, and this area will soon be more crime ridden than NYC was in the 80's. They simply don't care, they are in it for the short term payoffs, they surround themselves in gated communities while destroying the middle class areas and schools. Voting doesn't matter either, 2 party system here is just a smokescreen since the offenders will just join whatever side will get them in. Stay and try and fight? It's beyond that, it's time to wave the white flag and move out of here. I would much rather look back 10 years from now and have some solace in the fact that I was smart enough to get out when I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 03:39 PM

889 posts, read 2,851,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYmk View Post
Another thing that drives the housing market so ridiculously high here are the investor owned properties. It is very rare to drive down any block on Long Island that doesn't have at least 1/3 of the houses with accessory apartments. These investors will turn a single family home into an array of illegal apartments housing sometimes up to 50 illegals in it! They are literally destroying the neighborhoods from the inside out! Common sense would tell you that if you eliminated accessory apartments you would eliminate most of the problems, but corrupt politicians accept payoffs in the laundered sense of political donations. If you work hard and save for your home you want to raise your family in you will take some pride in your neighborhood and the condition of your home, but if you are renting a house with 40 other "Compadres" you could care less. Investors are willing to pay $500k for a crappy home here because they know they can generate Thousands a month in rent, most of them paying off the houses within a year. I simply can't afford to pay a $3000 a month mortgage for a starter home, to the investors it's not a home but a money making machine. And with the ratio of new immigrants to non looing for housing there will always be a demand to house undocumented workers here. The illegals on Long Island get treated far better than those of us paying taxes- Free healthcare, goverment services, schools, jobs, and leeway with law enforcement because the cops are so frustrated that it is out of their hands too. Imagine paying $8k in property taxes and living next to undocumented illegals? Blasting spanish music all night on the front lawn, fighting, garbage everywhere as they whistle at your 11 year old daughter playing hopscotch in front of your house. But the liberals here attempt to control people like me and ignore the problem by being quick to blast us and labeling us as racists! As I said before, the politicians know full well that the Long Island economy is headed for a crash, and this area will soon be more crime ridden than NYC was in the 80's. They simply don't care, they are in it for the short term payoffs, they surround themselves in gated communities while destroying the middle class areas and schools. Voting doesn't matter either, 2 party system here is just a smokescreen since the offenders will just join whatever side will get them in. Stay and try and fight? It's beyond that, it's time to wave the white flag and move out of here. I would much rather look back 10 years from now and have some solace in the fact that I was smart enough to get out when I did.
Sounds just like Calif. and for the people in other areas who have seen an influx of some, trust me they have seen nothing yet. For all the people complaining on this forum for the invasion of West or North comming out here,thank your lucky stars it's not the invasion other states have had to deal with.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:44 PM

117 posts, read 378,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Sounds just like Calif. and for the people in other areas who have seen an influx of some, trust me they have seen nothing yet. For all the people complaining on this forum for the invasion of West or North comming out here,thank your lucky stars it's not the invasion other states have had to deal with.
Good point! They haven't seen anything yet.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,260,948 times
So when we move to NC from Long island next year ; what will we be known as.

Let me see ; we could be called ; New Yorkers, but that wouldnt be true as we immigrated from ireland 20 years ago and still have our accent.

We want to leave Long Island because we would love to raise our boys in a safe, friendly, environemtn where we also wont be bankrupt.

dorothy

Old 09-07-2006, 12:58 AM

34,696 posts, read 33,714,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Here is the deal: we want to get away from the people from New York and New Jersey (sorry, I don't mean to offend, but we have grown up near there our entire lives and we are very displeased with this area right now). Honestly, we want to move out into the "country". We want close to an acre of land and the small town friendliness we thought we would get there. If we wanted to live with Yankees we would stay up north.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
I laughed when I read this. I was born in the Bronx and lived on Long Island until I was in my early 40's and moved to MD in 1995 because of work. Now, I'm getting ready to retire and this area is not the place to be in retirement so I checked out Asheville hoping I'd find some nice red staters and a peaceful pretty town. Instead the place was overcrowded and loaded with big city northern people with big city mentality. Plus, it wasn't all that cheap to live there. What a disappointment! I'm looking at Tennessee now. Have you considered Eastern Tennessee? No state income tax. Sales tax is high but Tennessee was ranked #48 on State and Local Tax Burden (NC was ranked #32 and NY was #1). Housing prices are more reasonable than what I saw in NC. You can live in a country location near mountains and lakes but still not be that far from Knoxville or Chattanooga. There are some pics posted by people who live in Eastern Tennessee on the City Data Tennessee forum.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,273 times
Default Mooresville and Lake Norman

For some reason Mooresville and Lake Norman, NC have so many people from up north it is insane. All I have to say is if you want to move into this area from anywhere please learn how to drive. The traffic is very congested here and we do not have time for tailgaters, people that cut you off, and yell obscene things at you in a northern accent while you try to get into a turning lane. This is still the south... We have shot guns.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:29 PM

889 posts, read 2,851,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven View Post
For some reason Mooresville and Lake Norman, NC have so many people from up north it is insane. All I have to say is if you want to move into this area from anywhere please learn how to drive. The traffic is very congested here and we do not have time for tailgaters, people that cut you off, and yell obscene things at you in a northern accent while you try to get into a turning lane. This is still the south... We have shot guns.
You know,its the natives that cut you off and tailgate, dont know where you are comming from!

Old 09-07-2006, 08:32 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,664,003 times
I have to echo the original poster. We made our first trip to Raleigh + surrounding area this past week. It was eerie - it was as if someone took central NJ, consolidated it, and put it in the middle of NC. Even the Crabtree Mall looked just like the mall in Edison/Woodbridge. My husband and I dislike all the HOAs here, and the Raleigh area seems to have more HOAs than NJ, which really surprised us. I guess we are odd - we would prefer to have a house on a lot larger than 0.29 acres and a house that isn't a mirror image of all its neighbors. The roads were filled with aggressive drivers who cut each other off, and at red lights, honked their horn if the car in front didn't start to move the very second the light turned green. It was amazing! We are still considering moving to the Raleigh area because financially it is a good move for us, but wow, it would be just like we never left NJ and we were looking forward to a slightly slower paced life.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:25 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,669,166 times
Let me put it plain and simple.

If you are looking for a slower paced life go to North Dakota or Idaho. Seriously.

If you insist on coming to NC for a slower paced life - however you define it - you cannot go to Mooresville, Huntersville, Charlotte, etc. These are not "small town or slow paced" by any stretch of the imagination. Its pretty much Charlotte. You cannot travel from Charlotte and actually leave Charlotte. From Charlotte you have Huntersville to Cornelius to Davidson to Mooresville, its all connected now.

You will have to go some place detatched out west or out east in the state. Property and taxes will be a lot lower, and there will not be any traffic. You will have to drive miles for entertainment though. Bu thats my definition of "slower paced." And its the only area free of transplants, newcomers, yankees - whatever people are calling themselves these days.

Thats the truth.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:13 PM

21,645 posts, read 30,264,166 times
Is it slower paced in Western N.C. say Waynesville area???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina