Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 12:51 PM

132 posts, read 402,458 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
we are looking to relocate from the Northeast to near the Raleigh area (haven't decided where yet), but after reading many of these posts we started to get worried.

Here is the deal: we want to get away from the people from New York and New Jersey (sorry, I don't mean to offend, but we have grown up near there our entire lives and we are very displeased with this area right now). Honestly, we want to move out into the "country". We want close to an acre of land and the small town friendliness we thought we would get there. If we wanted to live with Yankees we would stay up north.

When we came to visit last year, it seemed exactly like what we are looking for, now we are not so sure. I suppose my real question is then, where can we go to stay away from the transplants? They are the reason we are moving out of our state. They invaded us first, ruined life here for us, then made their way down the coast.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM

Location: I temporarily live on Earth until my owners bring me back to Nephlon 12
8 posts, read 51,996 times
Stay out of Cary. Some people say Cary is an acronym for "Central Area for Relocated Yankees."

Old 05-09-2006, 01:04 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,914,003 times
Stay away from the major metro areas, i.e. Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte. They like to cluster around those areas in large numbers for some unknown reason. Maybe employment?

Last edited by mm34b; 05-09-2006 at 01:07 PM..

Old 05-09-2006, 02:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,533,759 times
The eastern 3rd of the state is much less "transplant friendly" and is much more the "old south". I know this sounds weird, but I am a transplanted northerner (from upstate ny) who lives in Apex (just outside Raleigh) and is moving back north. I like the inland Northeast, which is VERY different from the Bos-wash corridor, a lot, and it is where I feel at home and where I am moving back to this year. But I have to say that I really do enjoy "home town" North Carolina. Where almsot everyone was born and raised in the area and it has a very strong community feel. These areas unfortunetly also tend to be the ones the LEAST welcoming to newcomers' especially ones from the NYC metro. They also tend to not have the most vibrant economies. But I'm assuming that if you want to move to the country a high-tech economy isn't a major prioriy. I'd suggest the areas NEAR but not on the coast. The coast tends to be heavily "transplanted" and also gets slammed by hurricanes quite often. Places like Samspson, Duplin, and Bladen Counties are, as it sounds, the types of areas you are looking for.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
The eastern 3rd of the state is much less "transplant friendly" and is much more the "old south". I know this sounds weird, but I am a transplanted northerner (from upstate ny) who lives in Apex (just outside Raleigh) and is moving back north. I like the inland Northeast, which is VERY different from the Bos-wash corridor, a lot, and it is where I feel at home and where I am moving back to this year. But I have to say that I really do enjoy "home town" North Carolina. Where almsot everyone was born and raised in the area and it has a very strong community feel. These areas unfortunetly also tend to be the ones the LEAST welcoming to newcomers' especially ones from the NYC metro. They also tend to not have the most vibrant economies. But I'm assuming that if you want to move to the country a high-tech economy isn't a major prioriy. I'd suggest the areas NEAR but not on the coast. The coast tends to be heavily "transplanted" and also gets slammed by hurricanes quite often. Places like Samspson, Duplin, and Bladen Counties are, as it sounds, the types of areas you are looking for.
I lived in one of those NC "hometowns". When I moved there in July of 1960, the town had a population of 1,200. Forty-six years later, the population has grown by an additional 200 folks and almost everyone is related.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:52 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,742,825 times
Cary: Citizens Are Relocated Yankees

Old 05-09-2006, 05:27 PM

787 posts, read 3,573,267 times
If you come to Snow Hill, I can almost guarantee you that you will be one of the few that moved here on purpose. LOL
They put up banners last week that read, "Discover Snow Hill, founded in 1828." I nearly laughed my head off. With a population of about 1500 people just in the city limits, I bet Greene County doesn't have 10000 people in the entire county. As for discovering anything that I don't know that already existed, I doubt that I will find anything. Maybe someone will move here that hasn't been here so long that they won't overlook whatever it is that we are suppose to discover. The Indians did that for us. But seriously, we have our good points, few that they are. It is just that not many people pick up a North Carolina map and say "Honey, let's move to Snow Hill in Greene County."
Most people that are here got here through two ways. Their family, all 13 generations of them were born here and so were you or you married someone that had the 13 generations of family here. But if you come here, please let me know in advance. I will round up everyone to welcome you here. They would probably do it anyway. Like I said, someone purposely moving here is rare if not impossible. Good luck where ever you land.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
If you come to Snow Hill, I can almost guarantee you that you will be one of the few that moved here on purpose. LOL
They put up banners last week that read, "Discover Snow Hill, founded in 1828." I nearly laughed my head off. With a population of about 1500 people just in the city limits, I bet Greene County doesn't have 10000 people in the entire county. As for discovering anything that I don't know that already existed, I doubt that I will find anything. Maybe someone will move here that hasn't been here so long that they won't overlook whatever it is that we are suppose to discover. The Indians did that for us. But seriously, we have our good points, few that they are. It is just that not many people pick up a North Carolina map and say "Honey, let's move to Snow Hill in Greene County."
Most people that are here got here through two ways. Their family, all 13 generations of them were born here and so were you or you married someone that had the 13 generations of family here. But if you come here, please let me know in advance. I will round up everyone to welcome you here. They would probably do it anyway. Like I said, someone purposely moving here is rare if not impossible. Good luck where ever you land.
You're right. Your entire county has a population of only 21,000.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:03 PM

787 posts, read 3,573,267 times
"You're right. Your entire county has a population of only 21,000."

I figured that there were cities just to the west of us that had that many people in it. And Greene County isn't even the smallest county in North Carolina. I wonder where Clay County ranks? I bet it is one of the smallest if not the smallest. And Lee County is small as well. Mecklingburg is the largest I believe.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
"You're right. Your entire county has a population of only 21,000."

I figured that there were cities just to the west of us that had that many people in it. And Greene County isn't even the smallest county in North Carolina. I wonder where Clay County ranks? I bet it is one of the smallest if not the smallest. And Lee County is small as well. Mecklingburg is the largest I believe.
The smallest NC county population is Tyrrell with 4,149.

Clay is 5th smallest with 8,775.

Lee County is small in land area only. Lee has almost 50 thousand residents.

Greene ranks 19th smallest population.

Mecklenburg is the most populated county.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-09-2006 at 09:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina