Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 11:40 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinToWhoKnowsWhere View Post
Love the Raleigh area! Our daughter went to UNC Chapel Hill so we are a little familiar with the metro area. Definitely on our list, especially the outlying areas.
The usual recommendation is to look at the collar counties, especially Chatham and Johnston, since the prices and (school-related) taxes are lower. Only rural Johnston (pretty right-leaning) is possible at that price. Chatham fits the bill; the stretch between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro has become quite a haven for retirees, but is quite pricey.

Looking at the map, maybe consider going past Pittsboro, to Sanford? It's the next county seat down and halfway between the Triangle and Pinehurst (which also crossed my mind, but the whole town's a country club: expensive & Republican). Sanford itself is blue, though Lee County is reddish purple. New UNC and Duke hospitals are under construction in Holly Springs and west Cary, within 30 minutes of Sanford; the main campuses are about 45 minutes away.

There are townhouses within the Triangle (I'm seeing some in Garner and south Durham) under $200K, but I'd worry about whether they'd be maintenance headaches.

Heading east from the Triangle, Greenville has the only medical school east of Durham. I don't know much about it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 04:30 AM

10 posts, read 9,938 times
Thank you for the great perspective! So many areas to consider, which is a good thing. We do notice many townhouses in NC, far more than in FL. Not loving the idea of so many stairs...we are still able to run up and down now...but who knows down the road

Old 03-21-2021, 11:42 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinToWhoKnowsWhere View Post
Thank you for the great perspective! So many areas to consider, which is a good thing. We do notice many townhouses in NC, far more than in FL. Not loving the idea of so many stairs...we are still able to run up and down now...but who knows down the road
Townhouses do not necessarily mean a lot of stairs. We are doing a real estate search and looking at quite a few 1.5 story townhomes where the master BR and usually one more are on the first floor with a bonus room or 3rd BR and bath on the second.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:17 PM

23 posts, read 16,638 times
I’m always surprised to hear how important some people feel other people’s politics are to them. Self described “Left-Leaning” and “not ultra-conservative” is mentioned.

If you move to a city or the suburb of a city in North Carolina you’ll find people with truly moderate political views: as in 80% of us. Relocate to a rural area of NC and you may find the ultra-conservative smokers that you’re trying to stay away from.

I have a home in Wilmington, NC and most everyone is in the 80% political camp.

The thing is, if you’re originally from the Madison, WI area and actually aren’t “left leaning” and are left wing, part of the 10% on the left crowd, you may not be happy anywhere outside of Manhattan, Berkeley or Madison.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:34 PM

10 posts, read 9,938 times
Speaker33, Good point on the political views...agree that generally the rural areas tend to be more conservative and cities more liberal. One should expect that. I only ask because sometimes there are anomalies in that theory (the Villages in FL come to mind). We are originally from rural Madison areas, so I’m not sure what you could call us. Haha

Old 04-11-2021, 05:52 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times
Oxford, NC is a 30 minute drive to Durham, NC (Duke University Hospital). A short 25 minute drive to Kerr Lake. My great uncle lived there all his life in a similar house.

412 High Street - $179K

Old 05-17-2021, 12:05 PM

146 posts, read 139,414 times
Hickory may be a good fit for you as it provides easy access to a lot of outdoor activities, including the mountains, and is also an easy distance to Asheville, Charlotte and Winston-Salem. The housing market is crazy right now but I expect it will have settled down in the next year or two. Politically, it is still a conservative area, but there are plenty of people with moderate to left leaning politics as well and that will continue to grow as more people are moving here every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina