U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:56 PM

9 posts, read 361,764 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I forgot to pay for my car's registration renewal and realized after it expired. Now I can't do it on the DMV website because it says it doesn't recognize my title and license plate number, so I'm going to have to go speak with them.

Is there a fine for an expired registration? I'm worried about it and honestly just forgot to pay the renewal in time. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 11:18 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,498,578 times
You should be OK, as long as you don't get stopped on the way to the tag office.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You should be OK, as long as you don't get stopped on the way to the tag office.
Thanks. I've been worried about getting stopped ever since I realized I forgot to renew it. I thought I read somewhere that they might slap some fines on at the tag office, but I suppose that's only for an expired inspection?

Old 05-11-2008, 03:25 AM

22,003 posts, read 39,523,741 times
It is against the law for read number 2
GS_20-111

Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It is against the law for read number 2
GS_20-111
I know I'm not allowed to drive the car, and if I get pulled over I'll get a fine. My question was about when I go to renew it though... if they will fine me at the tag office.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:11 AM

22,003 posts, read 39,523,741 times
Ok cool I dont want to give you misguided information so I am restraining of offering my opinion what they might do and rather you know what is the truth in this matter

Have someone take you the tag office and check or you could call 919-715-7000
Going to tag office will probably be faster than you being put on hold of that number that deals with calls for all 100 counties.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:59 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,493,982 times
It's going to cost you more since the tag and all of your info expired. Be sure to carry proof of registration, ownership(?), INS, and whatever else you may need (your own children's birth certificates ).

Didn't you get the notice in the mail? So much easier to write a check, enclose an additional dollar for handling, and mail it back to them. Sorry you forgot, but it is easily remedied.

In all likelihood, you can probably make it over to the DMV without getting pulled, but I wouldn't chance driving around town or anything until you get your sticker. I'm surprised you haven't gotten a letter in the mail, asking you to turn in the tags to the car.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:54 PM

Yeah I got the notice to pay it in the mail, but it came like 3 months before it expired so I said "oh I'll pay that later." I should have just gone online and paid it then; like you said, it would have been much easier. The next time I remembered, it had already expired so I could no longer pay it online.

I haven't gotten any notices to return my tags that I know of. I'm definitely going to have someone bring me over there Monday morning.

RDS, do you know how much more we're talking here?

Old 05-11-2008, 04:33 PM

4,597 posts, read 7,493,982 times
Hubby is not sure there is a fine if the tag expires. Seems to both of us that you just go get a new tag, pay for it, and show proof of ownership, INS, and the like. Regular tag cost, but I can't remember what I mailed in, to be honest with you. I'm thinking between $70-80 on each vehicle. We like our vanity tags, and the $ from them puts wildflowers on NC's highways. A regular tag is generally $20 less, or it used to be.

If you let the inspection sticker in the windshield expire, you get a letter from DMV, reminding you, and giving you a due date by which to show it's been done. If you don't get it inspected in time, they can assess a $250 fine, but this is something different.

A girl in my husband's office told him she was fined when she let her INS lapse. See if you can find any info on NC DMV or something.

I buy one of those calendars with the pocket-thingies at the bottom of the page of the month, and slip bills in it. Often, I'll go ahead and write the check, put it in the envelope, and where the stamp will ultimately go, write in pencil the due date, like 05/10 or something. I check the pocket periodically, put stamps on the bills, and out they go. My sister does something similar, but she paper clips her biils to go in the mail to the calendar page.

I know what you mean about overlooking it. Out of sight, out of mind. I hate paying the late fees if I forget, though.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:31 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,498,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
It's going to cost you more since the tag and all of your info expired. Be sure to carry proof of registration, ownership(?), INS, and whatever else you may need (your own children's birth certificates ).
No it ain't, just happened to my daughter (tag expired for 5 months). Got a ticket from SHP, went and got a new sticker for her tag without the registration renewal form, then went to court on her court date, showed proof of a now valid vehicle tag/registration and the ticket was dismissed. It cost her no more than a new renewal, and a little gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina