Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
When someone speaks of a new england town, or souther town, I assume they are not talking about the architecture or the weather, but the "feel" and the "heritage" of the town. Not a lot of New England heritage in the south, no more than souther heritage can be found in Maine

The comments about the traits of "friendly" "older homes", and "sense of community" can be found all over the country and to label these traits as "new england'ish" is to say you have no respect for these traits in a southern town, or a mid-western town, or a western cattle town. They can even be found here if one chooses to embrace the local flavor of these traits, and not seek only the 'where I'm from' flavor.
I think you need to travel around the USA and see for yourself, then you might eat your words. Travel to alot of these sunbelt states, and the cities and towns that make up these areas, towns outside of Phoenix or Los Angeles to name a few, there is no sense of community or friendly older homes, no one knows their neighbors. I don't blame the person on here for looking for some place comforting to live. I hope the person that wrote this thread finds more warmth and kind words than some of the snobbishness that was given. I think what your really saying, is your tired of people moving into your area. Maybe you have a right to, but the person writing this thead didn't deserve your cold remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,328 times
nerak219... There are many, wonderful people on this forum and many, many more in NC. Please don't take to heart what one or two say. Check out the pictures that have been posted on each area and that will probably give you a few places to start checking out. When you find some that you are interested in contact the chamber of commerce/visitors centers and request a relocation pkg. These usually don't cost anything and can be very informative. I hope this helps. Don't give up, you will find what you are looking for.

Oh, and as far as snow is concerened, you need to look into the western part of the state, as someone else already mentioned.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:53 PM

66 posts, read 285,031 times
There are quite a few people here in Southern Pines that are from New England. The horse community and golfers all tell each other. The downtown is a quaint row of shops and stores. It has snowed but don't count on it.

Check us out.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Southern Pines
Pinehurst
New Bern
Swansboro
Beaufort
Edenton http://www.city-data.com/forum/933849-post10.html photos
Boone
Blowing Rock
Chimney Rock
Hillsborough
Pittsboro,
Chapel Hill
Parts of Asheville
Hi SunnyKayak....I just wanted to thank you for posting these pictures, they are beautiful!!!
I have never gotten to Edenton, guess we're gonna have to change that! Thanks Again!!

Old 05-31-2008, 07:46 PM

Default I was just wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerak219 View Post
Hi
We're going to be moving to NC and I am looking for a town that has a old fashioned New England feel. Moving from a Mass town and am going to miss it. Would like a area that does get some snow because I love winter, but my husbands job has us moving to NC. He will travel all over the state so my location doesn't depend on his job
Any ideas?
Thanks
Did you find some places that you were able to narrow it down too? Can we help you with any questions about those places?
I sincerely hope you find your special place to call your new home.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I just posted a link to a prior thread that had photos of this similar discussion but thank you for the thank you.

Even as life time resident I had to just look up Edenton Edenton, NC - The Albemarle Region Of North Carolina - History, Events, Attractions - Chowan River and Albemarle Sound - Bed and Breakfast Inns Motels........ICW-NET Coastalguide
on a map so I could know where it is exactly. I never have been there. Edenton, N Carolina, USA - Google Maps
I see it is a sound side city and none of the sound side towns I have yet to explore.
Check out Oriental while you are in that area if you go. I have seen some photos from that area and it looks nice as well.

Only one I really degress from the list above is Boone . It was suggested in another thread but to me it downtown is just a cute mountain southern mountain town.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,787 times
Asheville Native obviously hasn't had a really good relationship with a New Englander. We are all about respect first, then genuinly ask questions to get to know you. We're not trying to tromp all over your red neck ass unless it needs to be.
Where's your bible belt Christian trained manners? We don't come down with attitudes unless you attitude us first with, YOU AREN'T FROM HERE ARE YA. WHY DON'T YOU GO BACK HOME. We're not trying to change anyones ways. Some respect for each other can go along way without pissing each other off!
When my little NEW ENGLAND TOWN was being taken over by the BIG CITIES around us we didn't want them around us either. They were changing our ways. We didn't have much going for us except farming and small town grocery stores and making our own clothes. It was charming. Everyone knew everyones family. It was lovely.
Then those damn city people came in and bought up our dairy farmers land and put in strip malls and eroded our neighborhoods. Well a little along the way we learned something. Education was brought in, our times were brought up to standards. After a few years we liked it and weren't so far backwards anymore. Yah, we learned something damn it.
I've lived in SC where the scenery is flat and industrial. I love the mountains. When I went up into Western Nc, I fell in love. It felt like home. I'll be moving there soon. You better look out I wouldn't reside in Asheville anyway. It's to big of a city anyway. You certainly don't warrant the populas for us outsiders.

Last edited by NEW ENGLAND TRANSPLANT; 12-23-2008 at 05:35 AM..

Old 12-23-2008, 05:45 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,208 times
NET:

Not all transplants are like that sadly. The ones we see and hear a lot are the 1/2 backs - they fled NY to FL then got upset because FL was more like NY than what they thought it would be. Now the surge is into NC.

We get a lot of 1/2 backs out here in Asheville. Some, many actually, you'd never know were from someplace else unless you saw their license plates or heard them talk. The ones that annoy people are those who roll into town and wonder why they don't do things the way they do 'em back in <insert other state here>. That one line is a surefire way to be blackballed and laughed it, yet people do it.

If I was looking for a NE type of town I'd stick to the coast, maybe a town with a fishing village or one of the smaller NW NC towns like Blowing Rock. That's if you're looking for a small town.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:39 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW ENGLAND TRANSPLANT View Post
We're not trying to tromp all over your red neck ass unless it needs to be.
Gee now why would anyone not welcome an outsider when they have an attitude like this. This is exactly who I want moving here

Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
If you want a New England town...how about looking in New England. This is NC...not New England!

And there are PLENTY of red necks & uneducated people in the NorthEast too (they are in every state & the District of Columbia).

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 12-23-2008 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina