Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,808 times

Advertisements

We are looking at relocating to N.C. My husband is from N.Y. state and misses the green, but not the cold. We were originally looking at the mountains, but have begun looking nearer the coast. Are there many hurricanes/tornadoes on the eastern side? It sounds like the gang problem is much worse in the eastern part of the state. Is that true?

Also, I have read that the economy is not so great on the eastern side of the state. Some though, seem to think it's not so great near the mountains either, since the furniture industry has left. Is it better in the west economically? We are moving from Arizona, and I love Asheville (it's been compared to our area), but we were looking for an area with more affordable housing than Arizona, and Asheville looks like it's about the same.

What about Hickory (or maybe Lenoir)? We drove through a couple of years ago and really liked it. Can you get a house in the area for around $100,000-$150 in a safe neighborhood? I have heard very conflicting information about crime rates there. Is it really bad? Are there things for kids to do? Are there many people in this area from other places? I appreciate a mixture of people (not many people who live in our area are actually from here). I lived in a town in the deep south for a couple of years, and it was a little bit of culture shock for me. I liked how hospitable and friendly everyone was, but there seemed to be a lot of stereotypes about people from other places, and I was asked some odd questions.

Also, my husband will probably get his contractors license. He has been working as an electrician for about 17 years. He also has alot of carpentry experience. Is there much work there for people in the construction industry? Are the rates of pay adequate?
I have an aritisan jewelry business, and usually sell to galleries and boutiques. I assume I would have to travel to Charlotte or maybe Asheville for sales? I am used to traveling all over for that, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

I know that's alot of questions. I appreciate any assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina