Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:47 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times

Advertisements

In the future, your vehicle registration and inspection will expire the same month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I think this is a good thing. Does it really take that much time out of your year?

Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
In the future, your vehicle registration and inspection will expire the same month.
citations?

Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
citations?
"Provides that inspections expire at midnight of the last day of the month designated by the vehicle registration sticker of the following year".

Old 05-15-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

No where in the bill states that you will have to do it more frequent . That statement is misleading.
Current inspection expires in August, and tag in Oct, so yes it looks like it I will have to have it inspected in August and October, sure sounds more frequent to me.

We know it is only about revenue and the audit trail to insure that no one escapes the pickpockets in Raleigh, why don't they just bill me for the second inspection so I don't have to waste hours on their revenue charade.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:10 PM

It's unknown how the state plans to synchronize the inspection renewal with plate renewal at this time, but I'm sure we'll find out in the months leading up to October 1st. Not an issue for me since both of mine are already in the same month of the year.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Not an issue for me since both of mine are already in the same month of the year.
Your empathy for the other 90%+ who will likely be hassled by the requirement of two inspections within only a few months is underwhelming. But it is all about revenue for the state ain't it?

Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Your empathy for the other 90%+ who will likely be hassled by the requirement of two inspections within only a few months is underwhelming. But it is all about revenue for the state ain't it?
You missed my previous post. How the state will sync the two expiration dates is unknown at this point. Your next inspection may be good for 14 months to get the two in sync. No one knows yet.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
You missed my previous post. How the state will sync the two expiration dates is unknown at this point. Your next inspection may be good for 14 months to get the two in sync. No one knows yet.
Well if this years inspections were valid for longer periods, then they would already have to be doing that and they aren't. Wife had her van inspected this month valid until May 09, and her tag expires in October also.

In NC having an expired inspection from any state displayed on your windshield is an offense. When SC finially came to their senses and scrapped their inspection program, people just left them on their cars.

A co-worker from a SC office came to NC, and was stopped and ticketed by the HP for having an expired inspection sticker, even though SC had scrapped inspections 2 years earlier.

Maybe I will get a bye and my inspection will be good for 14 months, but what about the people that will have differences of 15, 16, 17 months or longer, I doubt it.

NC, the state that has never seen a tax, fee, fine, surcharge, or revenue ploy they didn't' embrace.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Quote:
It's unknown how the state plans to synchronize the inspection renewal with plate renewal at this time, but I'm sure we'll find out in the months leading up to October 1st. Not an issue for me since both of mine are already in the same month of the year.
At one time, mine were due the same month of the year, too, and it was nice. The bill-thingy came in the mail, I paid it, got my new tag sticker, and knew to go have the car inspected too. No big deal.

This will probably help with people like me *gulp* who will fight the inspection sometime, over a *principle.* My headlamp was cracked, but worked fine -- high beams, low beams, all beams, no problem. Yet, I was told I had to replace it before I'd pass inspection. So I carry the car to the dealer and discover that replacing the headlamp involves removing about the first 1/4 of the stupid front end of the car, and the dealer wants about $400 to do it.

Now, mind you, the lamp works -- consistently, and in all weather. I tried a few more times to update the inspection, to no avail. My car stayed out of compliance for well over two years, and people would notice and I'd hear, "Oh, my! You're gonna get a ticket." The car gods were with me, I guess.

Finally, a fellow here explained that if the crack was sealed, and the lamp worked, it would pass. So we sealed the crack with the stuff you can use on a windshield with a crack, and it has passed two years running now. This started over five years ago.

Part of the beauty of the new system of the State's is that people like me, doing things like that, will no longer get away with it. In my case, I was actually hoping for a ticket so I could argue my point -- silly to have to replace something that works, like the headlamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina