U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 PM

10 posts, read 25,467 times

Advertisements

I would argue that increasing the tax on tobacco and alcohol does lead to behavior modification on a macro scale--if you don't believe me then use the google to research the incidence of tobacco-related illnesses in Wales following similar initiatives. I would also argue that in an era in which taxpayers are increasingly bearing the burden of uninsured healthcare costs, incentives promoting better health (and disincentives deterring worse health) ought to be fully supported and even mandated by our government. To that end, I would support increased taxation on unhealthy foods and tax breaks or other subsidies on healthy food in addition to these sin taxes. God willing, we're moving towards universal health care, and that will only further highlight the importance of primary prevention of health maladies.

I do recognize that such taxation could be viewed as regressive because of the demographics of tobacco (and less so, alcohol) use, but so be it. Let's get rid of the lottery (the ultimate tax on the poor and the dumb) and then it's a wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:04 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,501,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
If we are willing to accept punitive taxes on items that are considered unhealthy by the government at the moment, what happens when in the future red meat and fatty foods are under attack by government forces? Are we willing to pay an extra tax on steak and twinkies, cleverly packaged so that they also benefit groups that we all love so much? How far will this be taken?
This is exactly why universal socialized healthcare is so dangerous. Nanny will be able to dictate all kinds of health related issues, and eventually who should receive medical treatment based on lifestyle and the effect said treatment will have on the "global"community.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Yea for the smokers tax and nay for the drinkers tax!! Good for the teachers though and if you can help the sick out, thats great too!
Not trying to pick on you himain, but why is this your logic? Is it because you like to enjoy an alcoholic beverage but you do not smoke? I know you don't smoke (from previous posts), but if we're talking taboos, why would you disagree on an increased alcohol tax?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I support any taxes levied on tobacco. However, it just isn't right to penalize those of us that enjoy drinking..... Last thought, why not legalize pot? People could smoke outside of public places and willingly pay tremendous taxes for the product.
Why tax tobacco and not alcohol if this is your logic? This gives precedence to choose what is to be taxed based on individual wants and desires. By applying these sort of discretionary taxes and other applicable laws, ALL OF US gradually give our freedoms away to Nanny on a silver platter.

As for legalizing pot, this should be left to the state to decide and there are benefits and disadvantages. I actually favor the legalization due to criminal, medical, and economical aspects, but most importantly for freedom to treat ones body as one so chooses.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:12 PM

2,565 posts, read 3,980,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
This is exactly why universal socialized healthcare is so dangerous. Nanny will be able to dictate all kinds of health related issues, and eventually who should receive medical treatment based on lifestyle and the effect said treatment will have on the "global"community.
Fifty years from now, everyone will be munching on the real-life equivalent of "Soylent Green" Yum!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
My basic problem with this is that the people who smoke and drink are the lower income people
Seriously?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I don't smoke and hardly ever drink. I am opposed to the taxes on cigarettes and alcohol. I am opposed to most all tax increases. But right now especially as people are dealing with already huge increases in food and gas prices, new taxes do not make much sense.

Of note, part of the increase will send 6 million dollars to expand the NC Zoo polar bear exhibit .
Makes so much sense doesn't it?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 PM

2,565 posts, read 3,980,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Makes so much sense doesn't it?
The Six Million Dollar Polarbear! A TV series for sure!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

Whether it's a good idea or not boils down to one thing. Will the price increase drive people to an adjacent state? if so, you can bet that they will buy other items when they are there, therefore losing sales tax that would have been collected by the state.
Another thing to consider is that the more the taxes are increased, the more the item becomes prohibitive (whether outright or financially driven). At the end of the day, the black market arises and only leads to a much worse situation i.e. criminalizing said item and history shows what happens then.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Fifty years from now, everyone will be munching on the real-life equivalent of "Soylent Green" Yum!
haha...I can see it now. Have you seen the movie, The Island? They've got these people on ridiculous diet regiments and although the movie is concerned with cloned humans, I can certainly see the resemblance in a proposed socialized medicine system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina