Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:58 PM

219 posts, read 964,937 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what would happen if a student did not pass the Math EOG. Can they take 7th grade math in 8th grade?

Thanks

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 07:14 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
If they are in 8th grade, they take the 8th grade EOG, regardless if they passed the 7th grade EOG or not.
Children can advance grade levels without actually passing the EOG. However, they are required to show GROWTH and improve over the previous year (or at least remain the same).

Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 PM

My son is in 7th grade and really had a very hard time of it this year in 7th grade math. We just moved to NC from NJ in July . He had been homeschooled for the past two years. The math teacher is not a very good teacher and I have not found one person that does not feel that way. He has been out of school many days this year due to illness and surgery. He has no problems in his other classes , gettting A's and B's. Now the school is telling me that he might have to repeat 7th grade if he doesn;t pass the math EOG . He has ADD as well.

any advice?

Melissa

Last edited by mbeckoff1; 05-13-2008 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 05-14-2008, 04:59 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
I am sorry you have to deal with an inadequate teacher.

Since EOGs are next week, there is really little you can do. I would practice measurement conversions and geometry formulas. Make sure he knows them.
As for passing, it is nearly impossible to get a child retained in my district. They just pass them on. However, I was required to send letters to anyone I feel will not pass the EOG saying they may be retained. It is all a bluff though.

As I said, he does NOT have to actually PASS the EOG. He just has to improve or maintain from last year's score. The gateway is showing growth, not actually passing.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
They will get another chance to take the EOGs shortly before school is out. They'll get remediation in the meanwhile. If they fail it a 2nd time, they will get a 3rd chance to pass.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:19 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
We moved from NJ and well my son was so far behind coming here in math and science it wasnt funny I couldnt beileve it. He is in 7th Grade in Union County here and well let me just say I wish we would have moved here sooner...anyway, if he fails the EOG'S he will be able to retake them, in Union its June 3rd and June 4th, then if he doesnt pass them again he must go to summer school....and then have to pass it again at that point the school and teachers will take a look at the individual student, as I was told it doesnt mean the child will have to Repeat 7th Grade..

Good Luck

Old 05-25-2008, 12:59 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeckoff1 View Post
My son is in 7th grade and really had a very hard time of it this year in 7th grade math. We just moved to NC from NJ in July . He had been homeschooled for the past two years. The math teacher is not a very good teacher and I have not found one person that does not feel that way. He has been out of school many days this year due to illness and surgery. He has no problems in his other classes , gettting A's and B's. Now the school is telling me that he might have to repeat 7th grade if he doesn;t pass the math EOG . He has ADD as well.

any advice?

Melissa
Perhaps you've identified the root of the problem.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 PM

well. He passed the math EOG

Thanks

Melissa

Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 16,278 times
My son is in cleveland Middle school and he and did not pass the reading test by 2 points. Now I was told he has one more chance (today) and if he doesn't pass it he has to go to summer school, then he can take it a third time after summer school is over. If he does not pass it the third time he has to repeat 7th grade. Not sure if this is true, I just moved here in January and this is what was sent home in a letter.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:26 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
The 8th grade year is the GATEWAY year. If you do not pass ALL the EOG's, math, science and reading, you can (and should) be retained. Retention, however, in this age of feel good school, is rare. I had a 88% pass rate on 8th grade math last week. 10 kids did not pass. 5 of those missed it by 1 point on the morphodite Developmental Scale Score.

We have remediation this week. They retest next week, and there may be one more opportunity, at least down here, on the next to last day of school. I am not clear on that.

THIS YEAR, for the first time (at least in our county, but I am pretty sure, statewide) EVERYONE who makes a level 2 or 3 HAS TO RETEST. I don't mess with the seventh grade, but I am relatively sure, that at that grade, UNLIKE the 8th grade GATEWAY situation, the EOG is just one more means to determine if you pass or fail. But if one goes to 8th grade, he or she will be responsible for mastering the 8th grade standard course of study objectives. A weak foundation will make this DIFFICULT.

Last year, at least for our 8th graders, we had 2 out of 178 that did not pass math on either the first or second try. They HAD to go to summer school, or repeat...At least that was the threat. One passed, the other missed by a point, and was promoted.

I think I have heard that summer school is out this year, due to budget, and by the way it is not called summer school, but some lofty, feel good phrase.

Finally, during my remediation preps, I have looked at a large number of released End of Grade tests from other states. People put down the NC education all the time, but I would opine, based on questions on previous state's tests, that the NC EOG is very very very similar to both Michigan and Massachusetts, in particular. I have not seen one yet that varied much from ours, and in NC -- you are not given a formula page, as many states do.

If you want to see for yourself GOOGLE the following words, or combination; STATE RELEASED MATH TESTS. You should get a bunch of examples.

I think our kids CAN GET A VERY HIGH QUALITY math education in NC middle schools, if they, the teachers, and the parents put forth the effort.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina