U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 08:35 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,682,477 times

Advertisements

When it comes to considering homes in border areas like Matthews, it really pays to know exactly where the city limits and county line are located as far as schools, taxes, fire and police protection and such. You may think you bought in Matthews, but you're really on the outskirts as opposed to being within the city of Matthews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 PM

483 posts, read 1,449,616 times
Default Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
When it comes to considering homes in border areas like Matthews, it really pays to know exactly where the city limits and county line are located as far as schools, taxes, fire and police protection and such. You may think you bought in Matthews, but you're really on the outskirts as opposed to being within the city of Matthews.
I'm not sure what else to look for. All I know is that our schools are Union County and we will be paying Union County taxes, not Mecklenberg. Our mailing address is Matthews at zip 28104.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:05 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,682,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
I'm not sure what else to look for. All I know is that our schools are Union County and we will be paying Union County taxes, not Mecklenberg. Our mailing address is Matthews at zip 28104.
Yep, your only connection to the city of Matthews is your mailing address.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-05-2006 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-05-2006, 09:47 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,903,030 times
Quote:
Wow! I just ran the crime stats and all my other stats on that zipcode. That's a really good zipcode low crime and all other stats are good, except the tornado stat is a 93, 100 being the national avg.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:06 PM

170 posts, read 518,855 times
Ok, a1m1700, I'm crossing that one off my list! Find me tornado free towns, ok? (sorry, we're the paranoid weather people )

Old 06-06-2006, 06:57 AM

Default Tornados in Matthews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Wow! I just ran the crime stats and all my other stats on that zipcode. That's a really good zipcode low crime and all other stats are good, except the tornado stat is a 93, 100 being the national avg.
Where did you find this information because I haven't found any information about Tornados touching down in Matthews.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:59 AM

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Yep, your only connection to the city of Matthews is your mailing address.
Ok, so what the heck does that mean? If I'm paying Union County taxes and going to Union County schools, I'm still considered to be living in Matthews. So I'm not sure what the difference is but if you can explain that to me, then maybe it'll make sense. Guess I'm just a tad confused.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:26 AM

73 posts, read 292,678 times
Quote:
Ok, so what the heck does that mean? If I'm paying Union County taxes and going to Union County schools, I'm still considered to be living in Matthews. So I'm not sure what the difference is but if you can explain that to me, then maybe it'll make sense. Guess I'm just a tad confused.
when you live outside of city limits you still have a ZIP code assigned to your area. it is probably the nearest city. the Matthews, NC post office is where all your mail goes through, but youre not necessarily a resident of that particular city.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecotc
when you live outside of city limits you still have a ZIP code assigned to your area. it is probably the nearest city. the Matthews, NC post office is where all your mail goes through, but youre not necessarily a resident of that particular city.
If this is a true statement, then what connection would I have to Mecklenberg County? Even my utilities and trash pick-up would be thru Matthews (Union County). I have to ask the sales manager at the subdivision to get clarification. Still confused a little.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:05 AM

73 posts, read 292,678 times
Quote:
If this is a true statement, then what connection would I have to Mecklenberg County? Even my utilities and trash pick-up would be thru Matthews (Union County). I have to ask the sales manager at the subdivision to get clarification. Still confused a little.
I see Matthews, NC located in Medcklenburg county, not Union. What im thinking is that this house is in Union County, but the nearest city is Matthews (which is in Mecklenburg County) so that is your mailing address. It is also close enough to Matthews to have Matthews water and trash services. Just because a home is located outside of the city doesnt necessarily mean that the city doesnt offer water/trash services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or