U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,643,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I always heard Mt Airy is the original Mayberry on the Andy Griffith Show but I don't know if this is true.
Many towns in North Carolina have been proposed as "the original Mayberry," but it is most likely that the town was loosely based on Andy Griffith's hometown of Mount Airy, North Carolina. Griffith has also indicated that nearby Pilot Mountain, N.C., also in Surry County, North Carolina, inspired him in creating the town. However, it is more likely that Pilot Mountain was the inspiration for the fictional town of "Mount Pilot", a nearby larger town in relation to Mayberry, often referred to and occasionally visited by the characters in The Andy Griffith Show.

From Wikipedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 01:44 PM

34 posts, read 152,349 times
Hi Spiritwalker, My husband and I stayed in Mt Airy for a week and it was truly a pleasant small town and we felt very much at home there! However, as we are not yet retirement age were concern about employment. Have you found this to be a problem or are you one of the lucky people I envy who has the pleasure of retiring.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:43 PM

328 posts, read 946,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweedz View Post
Hi Spiritwalker, My husband and I stayed in Mt Airy for a week and it was truly a pleasant small town and we felt very much at home there! However, as we are not yet retirement age were concern about employment. Have you found this to be a problem or are you one of the lucky people I envy who has the pleasure of retiring.
We are planning to retire. As far as employment I can not speak with any authority. What type of work do you and your husband do ? I was fortunate enough to work in a hazardous duty type Law enforcement career where after twenty years I could leave. "I'm leavin'." We have a business we can do from home and I have looked into other endeavors( I am a coach and sports official). I know that there are opportunities coming up in Winston-Salem which is about thirty five miles south of the Mt. Airy area. Good luck. If we can help give a "holla. " Take care "Weedz"

Old 01-04-2007, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times
Default <oh, do I wish I were back home

[quote=spiritwalker;243215]My wife and I will be moving soon to the Mt. Airy area. We did quite a bit of research and made a few visits. We found a property that suits us. We will be calling this beautiful piece of North Carolina home perhaps for the rest of our lives. We chose this place for its quiet dignity....
Just read your story and wishing I were back home in Hickory. My husband moved our family to Medford, MA, just outside of Boston and I am feeling sooooo stressed with the pace of life here. I was born and raised in Hickory and have traveled quite a bit. (My husband is from Italy) I must say you cannot beat the quality of life in North Carolina. The climate, the people, the pace of life. I hope we can move back soon, I'm tired of getting honked at for refusing to drive as fast and as aggresively as these New Englanders do. I'm sure you'll enjoy Mt. Airy. It's a beautiful area.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:28 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
[quote=wendymor;249658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
My wife and I will be moving soon to the Mt. Airy area. We did quite a bit of research and made a few visits. We found a property that suits us. We will be calling this beautiful piece of North Carolina home perhaps for the rest of our lives. We chose this place for its quiet dignity....
Just read your story and wishing I were back home in Hickory. My husband moved our family to Medford, MA, just outside of Boston and I am feeling sooooo stressed with the pace of life here. I was born and raised in Hickory and have traveled quite a bit. (My husband is from Italy) I must say you cannot beat the quality of life in North Carolina. The climate, the people, the pace of life. I hope we can move back soon, I'm tired of getting honked at for refusing to drive as fast and as aggresively as these New Englanders do. I'm sure you'll enjoy Mt. Airy. It's a beautiful area.
Wendy, my sympathies are with you. After being in the northeast recently I had to come home just to get my blood pressure back to normal from all the stress driving there caused me

Old 01-04-2007, 02:33 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,371,975 times
Quote:
Recently while in Mt Airy I was daydreaming at a stop light. I "Dreamed" all the way through the light change. There were behind me at least four vehicles....No one blew their horn !!!! Shortly after my little mishap I pulled into a grocery store. A soft spoken lady lady came up to me and asked what I was dreaming about at the stoplight a while ago. I, red faced, apologized for my momentary lapse of reason. She smiled and said " we're just not in that much of a hurry here...

I pray that as we make this big move in our lives that we bring only the best of us. May all the hustle and bustle be left behind. I so look forward to our "New Home."
Spiritwalker
Spiritwalker, I enjoyed reading your story very much. I also like your "name." Kewl.
Enjoy retirement (you lucky duck ) & much happiness to you in your new home!

Old 01-04-2007, 03:33 PM

480 posts, read 2,643,521 times
The vasy majority of the Northeast is not "High Speed". The pace of life has nothing to do with North or South, but City vs. Rural.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:06 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMonkey View Post
The vasy majority of the Northeast is not "High Speed". The pace of life has nothing to do with North or South, but City vs. Rural.
For me it's not so much the speed of life in the northeast as it is the density of people - too many people per square mile

Old 01-04-2007, 04:24 PM

480 posts, read 2,643,521 times
There is only density in the metropolitan areas. Many areas are void of any people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
For me it's not so much the speed of life in the northeast as it is the density of people - too many people per square mile

Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 PM

127 posts, read 555,538 times
They didn't honk because Goober doesn't know how to work on horns and everyones horns are broken.

Seriously though... people here are more laid back and friendly. Be nice to them and they'll be nice back. Just dont expect it to be what you came from. Adapt to a new menality and things should be fine.

Quote:
My wife and I will be moving soon to the Mt. Airy area. We did quite a bit of research and made a few visits. We found a property that suits us. We will be calling this beautiful piece of North Carolina home perhaps for the rest of our lives. We chose this place for its quiet dignity. We are leaving Connecticut not because it lacks beauty or amenities. We are leaving because the pace of life is obnoxiously too fast for our tastes. We are not in the hurry that our contemporaries all seem to be. Let me share something with you. Recently while in Mt Airy I was daydreaming at a stop light. I "Dreamed" all the way through the light change. There were behind me at least four vehicles....No one blew their horn !!!! Shortly after my little mishap I pulled into a grocery store. A soft spoken lady lady came up to me and asked what I was dreaming about at the stoplight a while ago. I, red faced, apologized for my momentary lapse of reason. She smiled and said " we're just not in that much of a hurry here ( Obviously she noticed my Connecticut Plates). I said " You can't possibly know how good what you just said sounds to me." I'm sure there may be times when someone will become impatient in such a situation yet I would be willing to bet it would be someone from the "High Speed" Northeast that will be doing the horn blowing. I pray that as we make this big move in our lives that we bring only the best of us. May all the hustle and bustle be left behind. I so look forward to our "New Home."
Spiritwalker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina