Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 07:18 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,155 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving soon to the Mt. Airy area. We did quite a bit of research and made a few visits. We found a property that suits us. We will be calling this beautiful piece of North Carolina home perhaps for the rest of our lives. We chose this place for its quiet dignity. We are leaving Connecticut not because it lacks beauty or amenities. We are leaving because the pace of life is obnoxiously too fast for our tastes. We are not in the hurry that our contemporaries all seem to be. Let me share something with you. Recently while in Mt Airy I was daydreaming at a stop light. I "Dreamed" all the way through the light change. There were behind me at least four vehicles....No one blew their horn !!!! Shortly after my little mishap I pulled into a grocery store. A soft spoken lady lady came up to me and asked what I was dreaming about at the stoplight a while ago. I, red faced, apologized for my momentary lapse of reason. She smiled and said " we're just not in that much of a hurry here ( Obviously she noticed my Connecticut Plates). I said " You can't possibly know how good what you just said sounds to me." I'm sure there may be times when someone will become impatient in such a situation yet I would be willing to bet it would be someone from the "High Speed" Northeast that will be doing the horn blowing. I pray that as we make this big move in our lives that we bring only the best of us. May all the hustle and bustle be left behind. I so look forward to our "New Home."
Spiritwalker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
Spiritwalker - I too am from the North, we relocated to NC last December. I so agree with you on the grace and beauty of the NC people. I have had such positive response from anyone I asked questions or have spoken to. I have noticed that I have taken on the more laid back attitude, something I did not expect from a move. So many positive things to be thankful for in this beautiful state. PS - Don't forget to explore, this state is filled with "hidden treasures"! Regards.......

Old 01-02-2007, 11:45 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Recently while in Mt Airy I was daydreaming at a stop light. I "Dreamed" all the way through the light change. There were behind me at least four vehicles....No one blew their horn !!!!
Heh...cute story. I'd say that's more of a small town vs big city phenomenon, instead of a CT vs NC story. If that had happened anywhere near Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte, I'd guarrantee you'd get those honks!

Old 01-02-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Heh...cute story. I'd say that's more of a small town vs big city phenomenon, instead of a CT vs NC story. If that had happened anywhere near Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte, I'd guarrantee you'd get those honks!
Yeah, probably from a NewYorker !!!!!! Been to Raleigh/Durham/Charlotte
and they are more Oueens/Long Island/Bayonne than North Carolina.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:45 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Yeah, probably from a NewYorker !!!!!! Been to Raleigh/Durham/Charlotte
and they are more Oueens/Long Island/Bayonne than North Carolina.
How can you compare Raleigh to Bayonne? Oh my. Not even close. And yes, you would be honked at in Raleigh with good reason. It's dangerous to sit in heavy traffic. Raleigh is a city, not a small hamlet.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:37 AM

Smile Raleigh...A city?

True, Raleigh is a City. Once an area gains enough population it can qualify as a city and Raleigh has been a city for a long time. However, living on the I-95 Corridor smack -dab in the middle between Boston and New York City and everything high and low compared to the aforementioned, Raleigh is a hamlet.
In fact, every time I travel to Raleigh I think hmmmm toss in some pollution and BINGO....Bayonne !!! My humble opinion of course. This is why I chose a more rural area...Less horn honking !!!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:37 AM

108 posts, read 374,395 times
Default Hi Spiritwalker

NO one honked at you! Wow, that is great! We are moving to Mountain View, near Hickory in May, where is Mt Airy, is it anywhere near there?

Quote:
My wife and I will be moving soon to the Mt. Airy area. We did quite a bit of research and made a few visits. We found a property that suits us. We will be calling this beautiful piece of North Carolina home perhaps for the rest of our lives. We chose this place for its quiet dignity. We are leaving Connecticut not because it lacks beauty or amenities. We are leaving because the pace of life is obnoxiously too fast for our tastes. We are not in the hurry that our contemporaries all seem to be. Let me share something with you. Recently while in Mt Airy I was daydreaming at a stop light. I "Dreamed" all the way through the light change. There were behind me at least four vehicles....No one blew their horn !!!! Shortly after my little mishap I pulled into a grocery store. A soft spoken lady lady came up to me and asked what I was dreaming about at the stoplight a while ago. I, red faced, apologized for my momentary lapse of reason. She smiled and said " we're just not in that much of a hurry here ( Obviously she noticed my Connecticut Plates). I said " You can't possibly know how good what you just said sounds to me." I'm sure there may be times when someone will become impatient in such a situation yet I would be willing to bet it would be someone from the "High Speed" Northeast that will be doing the horn blowing. I pray that as we make this big move in our lives that we bring only the best of us. May all the hustle and bustle be left behind. I so look forward to our "New Home."
Spiritwalker

Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 AM

Default As The Crow Flies....

Mt Airy I would say is just under two hours northeast of where you will be. It is a quiet rural area. We hope to be in our home there soon. We have been to Hickory,Lenoir and surrounding and found those areas equally appealing. We just happened to find the house with acreage in Mt.Airy that worked for us. We will be retiring there while we are still young enough to enjoy ourselves. Thank you for responding to my thread.
Best Regards,
Spiritwalker

Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
I always heard Mt Airy is the original Mayberry on the Andy Griffith Show but I don't know if this is true.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:40 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I always heard Mt Airy is the original Mayberry on the Andy Griffith Show but I don't know if this is true.
Yes, it's true. Mayberry was based on Mt. Airy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina