Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2007, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,181 times

Advertisements

I am 18 and am looking to move to north carolina but have no idea of where to really start looking. I want a place that has work oppertunities, isnt far from the city but isnt a main busy city either. I want a place with things to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 04:08 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,322,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa1102 View Post
I am 18 and am looking to move to north carolina but have no idea of where to really start looking. I want a place that has work oppertunities, isnt far from the city but isnt a main busy city either. I want a place with things to do...
Hi Melissa Can you tell us how you plan to support yourself? I know minimum wage was just increased to $6.15 and hour here in NC, but that's not nearly enough to live on, especially in the bigger cities with more to do. You could possibly live in a really small community affordably, but then you'd be away from all the action people your age like. Will you by any chance be a student somewhere?

Old 01-03-2007, 12:42 AM

2 posts, read 6,181 times
i will not be a student nore do i paln to work for min wage. I am currently a manger at my job have worked in hospitals and day cares.. i have the experance for many different jobs.. I just need a place that has those open.. plus the person i going with is trained in IT and needs a place with that kind of openings

Old 01-03-2007, 08:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,322,300 times
Quote:
i will not be a student nore do i paln to work for min wage. I am currently a manger at my job have worked in hospitals and day cares.. i have the experance for many different jobs.. I just need a place that has those open.. plus the person i going with is trained in IT and needs a place with that kind of openings

It is good that at your age you have already aquired so much experience Those kinds of jobs are available in Charlotte, Raleigh too I would imagine. Also good you will have a roommate because it would be hard for you to live in either of these cities on the average income of hospital or day care workers. To be in a safe area in Charlotte plan on spending at least $700 on rent okay? $900. would be even better though. Charlotte is better for IT jobs than any other place in the state, but your friend must have their certifications in order to really go anywhere. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,680 times
Melissa,
Take a look at Rockingham County...probably just what you're looking for..
Good Luck....I'm selling my place...but probably not what you're looking for at this age
Rockingham County is a 30 minute drive to Greensboro where Moses Cone Hospital is rapidly expanding
45 minutes from Winston where there is the huge Baptist hospital and Forsyth hospital. You can drive home from those busy cities and relax in the peacefulness of yesteryear.
I don't know what IT means ...so I can't suggest on that and I don't feel stupid cause my husband who is a college graduate doesn't know either. Cheers!
What is IT?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:04 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,806,242 times
IT=information Technology --- Computers etc....

Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 AM

41 posts, read 56,713 times
Best wishes to you in your move to NC. Definitely do some deep research on the jobs wherever you plan to move. Daycare and hospital jobs here in NC are not known for their High Pay, especially if you do not have any "formal" education sucha as a AS or BS degree. IT jobs are huge in Raleigh at many places in the Research Triangle park. Same thing goes for that though, if you don't have the certifications a lot of people wouln't give you a chance as there are plenty of other job applicants that do. Good Luck!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:25 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,304,722 times
Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but looking at this post, you might benefit from additional training or perhaps go on for additional education in the career that interests you.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,594 times
Check out the Winston Salem area. King, Kernersville, Lewisville, etc. Lots of opportunities in Health Care and IT plus a great area for rural living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina