U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2007, 04:49 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,512,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Hickory is a very depressed area because they've lost the furniture mfg., and although they are marketing it for retirement lately, there are very few jobs there. Check the newspapers Green Hornet ... that is the best way to see what types of jobs are available in a given area. WNC is a retirement haven, low paying jobs are the norm; and what you ran into in Franklin is also the norm in most of the small towns, unless you know someone or are just plain lucky. Have you investigated a larger town, like up near the Winston-Salem area? Here's a great newspaper link for you to search any newspaper anywhere: www.thepaperboy.com/au (broken link) Hope this helps.

No, Hickory is not a depressed area. I understand that you mean lots of factory type jobs have been lost over the past decade. But the area itself is not depressed.

Hickory is a nice city that I think plans well for growth. Hickory doesnt approve of every housing or commercial development that comes its way, unlike most other NC areas.

As areas around the Lake Norman area are overpriced and built out, other areas will build up.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 06:07 PM

131 posts, read 11,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
No, Hickory is not a depressed area. I understand that you mean lots of factory type jobs have been lost over the past decade. But the area itself is not depressed.

Hickory is a nice city that I think plans well for growth. Hickory doesnt approve of every housing or commercial development that comes its way, unlike most other NC areas.

As areas around the Lake Norman area are overpriced and built out, other areas will build up.
I like Hickory.They are a lot of very nice people there.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 PM

134 posts, read 439,074 times
After being fortunate enough to spend summers in NC for many years, I can offer my perspective. Have family that live there, etc, and we went to college there. Spent a lot of time in Cashiers area. True, the locals and the folks who headed up there years ago,can be very clanish. It may take years to break in. If you can hang financially, probably worth the try. Brevard is good, so is Hendersonville or in between on HWY 64. I would go back there anytime except I am a diehard beachbum gatorgal!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:57 AM

957 posts, read 3,105,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhornetnc View Post
what is a good salary from up in michigan?
OK-I will put it to you this way. When I quit the HVAC business to go to college full time in 1982, I was making 12.50 an hour. When I was in between jobs in Eastern NC, in 1994, the most I could find installing HVAC was about 6.50 an hour.
My Dad's take was that the business owners in NC, were making a killing, but the workers were not doing so well.
Of course, that probably varies from company to company and depending on your skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina