U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:39 PM

64 posts, read 235,468 times

Advertisements

MY FAMILY AND I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A NICE TOWN TO MOVE TO IN WEASTERN NC, WE LIVE IN EASTERN NC NOW. WE THOUGHT THAT FRANKLIN WAS A GREAT PLACE BUT AFTER TALKING WITH SOME PEOPLE THAT LIVE THERE WE FOUND THAT IT IS HARD TO GET "IN " WITH THE LOCALS TO FIND JOBS. i DUE HEATING AND AIR WORK AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND A TOWN THAT IS GREAT FOR KIDS AND FAMILY BUT CLOSE TO MOUNTAIN HIKES, WATERFALLS, FRESHWATER FISHING, BIKE TRAILS. AS WELL AS A SMALL TOWN CHARM THAT STILL GETS SNOW EVERY YEAR BUT CLOSE TO KIDS SPOTRS LIKE BABE RUTH, GYMNASTICS, SKATEBOARDING FOOTBALL, SKATE PARKS. wHEN I SAY CLOSE I MEAN WITHIN 20 TO 40 MIN. FRANKLIN WE THOUGHT WAS THAT BUT AFTER TALKING WITH SOME FOLKS IT IS HARD TO GET INTO TO GET A JOB AND AND EVEN HARDER TO MAKE A DECENT WAGE, VERY FRUSTRATING. WE KINDA HAVE BEEN LOOKING FROM MORGANTON ON BACK TO THE TENN LINE. ANY SUGGESTIONMS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 06:30 PM

I Was Really Hoping For Some Help From My Fellow North Carolinians

Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,065,010 times
How about looking at Granite Falls for a residence and play and Hickory for work?
There is quite a bit of growth anticipated there abouts. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:09 PM

Granite Falls As Far As Crime And Kid Things To Do? Would You Live There?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:44 PM

473 posts, read 1,963,829 times
Hickory is a very depressed area because they've lost the furniture mfg., and although they are marketing it for retirement lately, there are very few jobs there. Check the newspapers Green Hornet ... that is the best way to see what types of jobs are available in a given area. WNC is a retirement haven, low paying jobs are the norm; and what you ran into in Franklin is also the norm in most of the small towns, unless you know someone or are just plain lucky. Have you investigated a larger town, like up near the Winston-Salem area? Here's a great newspaper link for you to search any newspaper anywhere: www.thepaperboy.com/au (broken link) Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 PM

131 posts, read 120,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhornetnc View Post
Granite Falls As Far As Crime And Kid Things To Do? Would You Live There?
GHornet if you like Franklin,go there.if you know your stuff and are not on dope Corbin & McMahan or Andy Mitchells
heating and air would put you on payroll that day.So many freaks come to WNC with the assumsion everyone is ignorant.They own a pair of pliars an two screwdrivers and try to convince everyone that they are rocket scientest.co do great wonders.If someone will give them a chance and $40.00 an hour everything is ok and they will prove it.Although they are a little down on their luck and need $500 cash up front to pay their rent.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:15 PM

What Do You Think A Decent Wage Is For This Feild That Way . Are You From There? The Place Is So Nice Looking On The Internet And I Spoke With Some Out There That Said They Dont Have To Lock There Doors. I Dont Pretend To Be A Rocket Scientists But I Do Have The Desire, Some Now How And 1 Yr Experience In The Feild , I Have A Universal Epa Certification . Im Sure There Are Guys That Now Alot More Than Me. The Reason For Picking Wnc Is Not Because Of Thinking Peeple Are Ignorant, Its Simply Because I Want A Better Life For My Children, I Want Them To Know What It Is Like O Grow Up The Way I Did In The Mountains Of West Virginia. Franklin Sounds And Looks Like A Great Place But After Talking With A Few People You Can Understand My Thoughts.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:14 AM

34 posts, read 143,727 times
Hi greenhornet since you have a univer epa certif there is a web site you may be interested in. www.hvacjobs.com All the luck to you and your family.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 AM

956 posts, read 3,942,369 times
There is a lot of building going on around Asheville. You could probably look in Black Mountain or Swannanoa etc. for a place to live. I used to live in that area about 30 miles east of Asheville. Additionally, I did HVAC work for my Dad for about 5 years. He had an HVAC business in Ann Arbor for 43 years. When he retired to NC, he still did some work. He found lots of work, but the pay wasn't a fraction of what it was in MI. Anyway, I was down there for Christmas. A friend said that they are planning about a 500 house developments out of Black Mountain toward Lake Lure. You could probably find work there.
Good luck.
PM if you like.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:25 PM

what is a good salary from up in michigan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or