U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:59 AM

787 posts, read 3,321,613 times

Advertisements

You will probably be happier towards the Lenoir and Hickory area. The summers in the Piedmont and particularly in the coastal area where I live are horrible. Not to mention the hurricane. I did want to warn you though there has been a trend over the past two years or so that the hurricane coming in from the Gulf Coast are taking an extreme westernly track in the western part of North Carolina. And this causes mudslides with the rain that moves in after a storm is down to even a depression. I don't know what to tell you to do up there to weather them so to speak but I bet the locals that have been there at least through Jeanne, Ivan, Charley and some of the other one that moved that way can tell you. Heed their advice. It will save you a lot of trouble later on. And welcome to North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2006, 10:29 AM

51 posts, read 118,990 times
MM34b,

Thank you so much for forwarding along the court/tax decision. Could you please take a moment and confirm that I am really reading this document correctly ?...That our federal retirement is NOT subject to N.C. state income tax ? I seem to recall reading something from another source that indicated that N.C exempted retirement income for some groups...I believe it was State retirees over 62...but I did not come away with the impression that federal retirees were included. If what I am now reading is true, it is indeed wonderful news.

Speaking of Federal retirement, what agency did you retire from ? You mentioned a "buyout" in 2003...We haven't seen any of those in the FAA for a few years. BTW, What is a VER ? I will be eligible on October 2nd this year and fully intend to "pull the plug"...<sigh>...suffice it to say that the FAA is certainly not giving anyone an incentive to stay. No big deal, 30 years of Guv'ment service (including military) is -plenty- and I am ready for something new. My wife and I plan to spend the winter finishing off the basement and getting a few things in order before we put the house on the market next March...So with any luck at all we will be "house hunting" by early next spring.

It seems funny to be considering a move -back- to North Carolina. I am a 'first generaton" Yankee...my family -left- North Carolina back in the 50's and moved "up north" seeking those high paying factory jobs. So even though I was born in Ohio my family goes WAY back in North Carolina (mid 1700's). I'm guessing I must be related to about half of Avery County as well as a good portion of Michell, Yancy, Burke and McDonald <G>. Heck ,I'm probably related to YOU <BG>.

As I mentioned, I spent a year going to H.S. in Avery Co. but it has been quite some time since I spent more than just a few brief vacation days there. In the past I never really had a need to pay attention to things such as tax laws and crime statistics...So forums like this are invaluable when it comes to doing research. It is one thing to read data and raw statistics. It is quite another thing to be able to acually communicate with folks who can y give you answers to questions that arise. Thank you ALL ever so much for taking the time.

Warmest regards,

StevieP...Currently in Lakeville MN

Old 05-13-2006, 11:06 AM

Bethanytedder,

Thank you for that advice...Funny but the subject of hurricanes -has- come up since my wife and I started this process of deciding where to relocate to. I spent a couple of years in Pensacola when I was in the navy and if wasn't for hurricanes...those that have occured in the past and those that are yet to come, we may have given that area serious consideration. But...after seeing the devistation brought on in just the past couple of years we believe we will steer well clear of "Hurricane Alley". Now that being said we DO want to live somewhere that we can get to a beach within 5 or 6 hours. Up here in Minnesota if we went the closest "beach" to us it would be somewhere up on Hudson's Bay in Canada <G>. Thanks again for your reply, it's a rainy day here in the twin cities so we may spend an hour or two looking for some more info about Lenor and Hickory.

StevieP

Old 05-13-2006, 11:15 AM

[quote=nascarnancy]I won't ask what church you go to but given the chance I'll ask "who's your driver"? (Sorry I just couldn't resist)

NascarNancy,

<heh-heh>...As Jeff Foxworthy would say "Hope we didn't offend anybody". Actually, back in the 70's my driver was Neil Bonnet...in the 80's and 90's it was Davey Allison...<sniff>...After Davey died I hung my hopes on Rusty Wallace for a few years. Now, I just root for anyone who's last name is NOT "Bush" <BG>.

Good luck with your move...Now that I've found this forum I will follow your progress, perhaps we can help one another avoid some of those dreaded relocation pitfalls.

Have a great day.

StevieP

Old 05-13-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired
My wife and I are both federally retired. We didn't miss paying state income tax last year one little bit.
Hapalee:

That's neat...what agency did you guys retire from ? Did you live elsewhere before you retired ? I'm -still- trying to adjust to the news that North Carolina apparently (???) doesn't tax our federal retirement benifits. That is HUGE and may be the thing that ultimately causes my wife and I to decide to relocate to N.C. (as opposed to VA or TN which we are also considering).

As I mentioned to ol' "MM" in a previous post, It seems strange to be talking about moving back to N.C. I am actually a "first generation" Yankee. My family goes WAY back in N.C...long enough that they could probably claim to having -invented- the mountains I haven't been to Lenoir in -quite- a few years but I have been up around Marion and Spruce Pine in the past three or four years. STILL beautiful country and I envy all of you who can wake up to such natural beauty.

It is really fun for me to read all of these posts...and I REALLY appreciate all the advice that is rolling in. I have learned quite a bit in just the two or three days that I have been reading these posts. Please don't hesitate to offer up any suggestions...I am particularly interested to learn more about your experiences with federal retirement...

Have a great day, I look forward to reading more of your posts.

StevieP...47 and rain here in the twin cities <sniff>

Old 05-13-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
Hey there StevieP-as another poster has mentioned...Tega Cay, SC has alot of the qualities you seem to be looking for (of course I might be a little biased ) The only thing that does not jive would be the amount of property you are looking for (most lots are under an acre-average 1/4 to 3/4). You might take a look at the city of Tega Cay, SC website to see if it is of any interest to you...and if so...I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Good luck with your search! p.s. if you plan to be out this way during the summer months (up until October) we have free outdoor concerts that are held the first Saturday of each month.
Tega Cay S.C....Hmmmmmm, never heard of it until I saw it mentioned here...but a little rooting around on the "net" this morning indicates that a LOT of other people have. Gonna have to give it a look. Thanks for the "heads up".

StevieP

Old 05-13-2006, 12:20 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteviePee2
MM34b,

Thank you so much for forwarding along the court/tax decision. Could you please take a moment and confirm that I am really reading this document correctly ?...That our federal retirement is NOT subject to N.C. state income tax ? I seem to recall reading something from another source that indicated that N.C exempted retirement income for some groups...I believe it was State retirees over 62...but I did not come away with the impression that federal retirees were included. If what I am now reading is true, it is indeed wonderful news.

Speaking of Federal retirement, what agency did you retire from ? You mentioned a "buyout" in 2003...We haven't seen any of those in the FAA for a few years. BTW, What is a VER ? I will be eligible on October 2nd this year and fully intend to "pull the plug"...<sigh>...suffice it to say that the FAA is certainly not giving anyone an incentive to stay. No big deal, 30 years of Guv'ment service (including military) is -plenty- and I am ready for something new. My wife and I plan to spend the winter finishing off the basement and getting a few things in order before we put the house on the market next March...So with any luck at all we will be "house hunting" by early next spring.

It seems funny to be considering a move -back- to North Carolina. I am a 'first generaton" Yankee...my family -left- North Carolina back in the 50's and moved "up north" seeking those high paying factory jobs. So even though I was born in Ohio my family goes WAY back in North Carolina (mid 1700's). I'm guessing I must be related to about half of Avery County as well as a good portion of Michell, Yancy, Burke and McDonald <G>. Heck ,I'm probably related to YOU <BG>.

As I mentioned, I spent a year going to H.S. in Avery Co. but it has been quite some time since I spent more than just a few brief vacation days there. In the past I never really had a need to pay attention to things such as tax laws and crime statistics...So forums like this are invaluable when it comes to doing research. It is one thing to read data and raw statistics. It is quite another thing to be able to acually communicate with folks who can y give you answers to questions that arise. Thank you ALL ever so much for taking the time.

Warmest regards,

StevieP...Currently in Lakeville MN
Two e-mails sent regarding your questions directed to me.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:18 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,076,087 times
[quote=SteviePee2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
I won't ask what church you go to but given the chance I'll ask "who's your driver"? (Sorry I just couldn't resist)

NascarNancy,

<heh-heh>...As Jeff Foxworthy would say "Hope we didn't offend anybody". Actually, back in the 70's my driver was Neil Bonnet...in the 80's and 90's it was Davey Allison...<sniff>...After Davey died I hung my hopes on Rusty Wallace for a few years. Now, I just root for anyone who's last name is NOT "Bush" <BG>.

Good luck with your move...Now that I've found this forum I will follow your progress, perhaps we can help one another avoid some of those dreaded relocation pitfalls.

Have a great day.

StevieP
Ah ha! So you did have a driver! We were hoping to be out for the race's next weekend and Speed Street but guess we will have to wait until next year.

Luckily my brother and sister in law live in the Charlotte/Matthews area. We want to stay with in 30 miles of them as we plan on hanging out quite a bit. I found this forum about a month ago and I'm hooked. It's been quite helpful and nice to see we are not the only one's leaving CA. Keep me posted on the move.
Nancy 24 (I know, somebody has to be his fan! )

Old 10-15-2006, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
Default A place we are looking at

I am retiring from the FAA in about 12 months and we are looking at moving to the Lake Norman area north of Charlotte, NC. Our list of what we are looking for is simple. We want to be near the water, near a city with things to do on the east coast, near a major airport & near interstate highways for convenience, a moderate to low cost of living area (relative to where we live), no state income tax, and in an area with great schools since we still have children living with us. The Lake Norman area seems to be a fit for us, especially Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius, and Mooresville. I wish you luck in your move and retirement!
Ken

PS: I am FER's and assume the FER's retirement is the same as CSRS in NC, non-taxable.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:52 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,298,693 times
Smile Hi back at ya'

Quote:
The western and piedmont regions of North Carolina are high on our list of places we are considering and . . .
I can only comment on WNC for you since that is where we have decided to settle for the remainder of our lives. We've from outta' state, but not Minnesota, although our homesteding heritage is from the northern part of that region. Anyway, we're in our RV in the Asheville area right now and actively looking for a home.

Quote:
We are seeking a location with a balance of affordability and cultural opportunity . . .

Any of you have any ideas ?
Rather than individually address the various qualities you have listed, I'll say that your desires are nearly identical to what we are seeking. We found that the Asheville area fit the bill very nicely.

Don't get me wrong by thinking that something in the Piedmont area won't also work very well. I'm not saying that at all. I've just found the mountain region more to our liking since I prefer a four-season climate, that's not harsh, and I don't particularly care for increased humidity and temperatures found in the lower elivations. The Asheville area fit the bill.

I'm also not recommending the city limits of Asheville since you're seeking a "subrural" type area. Instead, there's lots of areas not far otside the area, such as within a 15-20 minute drive of downtown or other shopping areas, that will fit the bill nicely. Not long ago these areas were very rural and filled with farms. Today, they've developed into housing tracts of anywhere from .5 acres to a couple/multiple of acres. There's a definate mix of homes ranging from 500K to multi-million dollar areas.

Of course, these homes will also be mixed in with trailers and older houses. It's the nature of the area since there is no zoning and many of the homeowners have been here for generations. The nice thing is that people are nice, although many are lamenting the loss of the open pastures and unadulterated vistas, but that is a whole other story.

For us, we were/are seeking something that's not too common if we want to not be out in the "sticks." We want enough land to build an RV garage and keep it on our property. That's hard to find for a variety of reasons. They include the fact that this is a mountian region so many properties are built on severe slopes.

It is also difficult to find property for us since the vast majority of new developments are in "subdivisions" on small lots (.5-1 acre) and with restrictions. These properties often have wells, and usually have septic tanks/drain fields. Under those conditions, you can't build out-building/garages water/sewer areas. Even though the properties look like they have the space, they really don't and the restrictions will often say that RV's are unacceptable unless they are in a garage. So, combine mountainous terrain, restrictions, and lots filled with house, spetic, and/or well/drain field, and you have a property that is fully occupied.

With that said, there are still options. For example we were able to find a home on 1.7 acres that is completely flat, out of any flood zones, beautiful views of forested mountains, on a paved road, room for my RV garage, in a well maintained "subrural" neighborhood, and within 10 minutes of a variety of nice restaurants (not Applebees ) and pleasant shopping. I won't say where it is until after it's closed , but only mention it to show that somethings are possible. It just takes time to find it.

Here are the names of some areas around Asheville that may fit the bill for you. I don't know your price range, so some may not be appropriate, but it might give you a start: Arden, Fletcher, Fairview, Weaverville, Flat Rock, Hendersonville, Mills River, Horse Shoe, Brevard, Black Mountain, Fairview Forest. There are others, but those regions might give you a start for searches on realtor.com and other sites.

Notice that I didn't mention other places like Leicester, Waynesville, Maggie Valley, and Mars Hill. I failed to bring them up because of the qualifcations you listed. Some might disagree with my decision and you might find them close enough to entertainment, restaurants, etc. However, my impression is that you would want to be a little closer to the vast majority of non-rural activities. Those type of things would be found more in Asheville, and to a lesser degree in Hendersonville, Flat Rock, & Brevard, and the aforementioned areas would have you doing a little extra driving to get there.

So, I hope that has helped. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask or drop me an email. I'll be glad to give you my insight and I'm sure you'll get others that should also help.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or