U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 09:13 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenelly View Post
PS: I am FER's and assume the FER's retirement is the same as CSRS in NC, non-taxable.
You can view a list of qualifying retirement plans here.

http://www.dor.state.nc.us/taxes/ind.../benefits.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 09:27 AM

145 posts, read 793,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteviePee2 View Post
Hi "Ya'll" (hows that am I "fitting in" yet),

I'm a (soon to be) 50 year old retired air traffic controller. My wife and I currently live in Minnesota and we are considering relocating somewhere south and east. The western and piedmont regions of North Carolina are high on our list of places we are considering and I am writing in the hope that someone can offer some insight that may help us in making our decision.

In past years I have had the opportunity to spend a bit of time western part of N.C. I have a family in the area around Boone/Asheville and even went to High School in Avery County for a year ("way back when"). That being said it has been quite some time since I have spent any length of time in the area and as we all know, things change. I have always found the mountains and the piedmont to be beautiful areas and my research indicates that -most- of the area is still relatively affordable. That being said it's hard to get a feel for the lifestyle of an area when you only have the internet and some old memories to count on. Perhaps if I discribe what we are looking for some of you would be kind enough to let me know if such a place exists in western or piedmont North Carolina.

We are seeking a location with a balance of affordability and cultural opportunity. Translate that to read that we do NOT want to live in "the sticks" just because it's affordable, nor do we want to sacrifice an affordable cost of living just to be near a metropolis and all the cultural activies we enjoy...It's getting difficult already isn't it The lifestyle we are seeking might best be discribed as "SubRural"...that is to say we would like to be out of town far enough to have an acre (or two) for gardening and privacy but still be within easy commuting distance of the convieniences of a larger city (i.e. health care, entertainment, dining, etc). The area we're looking for would be "upscale" but not ostentatious...We're not interested in rubbing shoulders with the "rich and famous" but neither are we interested in being bound by people who begin every conversation with either "What church do you go to" or "Who's your driver".

We are "empty nesters", so schools are not an issue...access to an airport that gets us away to SEE the kids is an issue. We LOVE to dine out and also enjoy the occasional play and/or concert...In this case "dine" being defined as something above and beyond the local "Applebees" and "play" being defined as being performed above the high school level. We are also active adults and try to ride our bicycles and take hikes on a regular basis, so access to biking and hiking paths is a must. Otherwise we just want to be somewhere where we a going to be accepted for what and who we are.

Any of you have any ideas ? Feel free to reply in this forum or email me personally. Thanks in advance for any advice or direction any of you may provide.

StevieP
StevieP

My husband is from Minn. and retired as well.
We just moved to Hickory from NJ and just love it.
Houses are reasonable and there is alot to do, restaurants, Valley Crossing Mall with Dillards, Target, tons of shopping.
There are some great new developments on Lake Hickory.

Downtown Hickory is being revitalized- try hickoryonline.com or org
There are good restaurants, community theatre, cofee shops, art galleries.

We just took a ride to Blowing Rock yesterday, and it was fantastic.
We are looking forward to trips to Ashville, Outer Banks, and other new places for road trips.

Hickory was a great move for us!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
Default Places to live in the Piedmont?

Hi SteviePee!

Have you considered the Winston-Salem or Statesville areas? I moved to NC from NW Illinois at age 15 and have been here ever since (except for a stint in Baltimore, MD). I live in Mocksville, NC (Davie County) which is a rural area about 25 minutes West from downtown W-S. Also, 20 minutes East of Statesville. I think our area has lots of the things you are looking for.

After several corporate jobs (and corporate buyouts), I am now a residential Realtor for the Piedmont area. I am not trying to "make a sale", but sincerely think you would find the area a great place to live. Will be glad to help or provide you with information on areas you desire......Thanks, Kim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or