U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:15 AM

10 posts, read 41,221 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are transplants from Southern California to Wilson, NC. for a year now and have not really met anyone out here. We are in our late 40's and it seems like most people we have met don't really like "outsiders". Maybe it's the small town thing, but that is what really drew me out here in the first place. I really like it here other then that. Any sugestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 11:49 AM

956 posts, read 4,068,279 times
I lived at Both ends of NC for 12 years. 7 in Greenville just down the road from Wilson. I never really felt accepted there. I was originally from Detroit, so destined to always be a Yankee. Of course, I made friends, because I was a pastor. Kind of comes with the territory. Finding a progressive church might help you out.
Have to tell you that I generally found folks from down East hard to win over.
Good luck.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:57 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,341,130 times
Default Hello

My husband and I relocated last year and are renting while house hunting. We are in Rocky Mount right now and are looking in the Wilson area and west of there. How do you like the area besides not "fitting in"? I agree that Church will get you into friendlier territory, although our neighbors appear to like us, we haven't been invited to a social gathering. I think it is more of a "busy society" thing, most people work all day and really don't entertain much afterward, weekends seem to be for catching up on house projects. I am also looking into volunteering at the local hospital to see what that will bring. Good luck, and please let me know about your thoughts on the housing situation and neighborhood info for Wilson. Regards!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Cassy:

We absolutely love where we live. We bought a big colonial home with the white columns on 3 acres, something we couldn have never afforded (not that they have colonial homes in California). It's in the country, close to Black Creek and just a 10 minute drive into Wilson Proper, ie. the mall, Walmart etc.. I hope with the new Shopping area with Target ,Ross, and Marshalls it will bring in more restaurants. What I really miss is a nice little neighborhood tavern for a quick cocktail after work. I wanted to open one out here but honestly, I dont know how the bible belt locals would feel about this. Anyone have any experience in this department??

Old 01-05-2007, 02:51 PM

505 posts, read 2,309,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsogirl View Post
Cassy:

We absolutely love where we live. We bought a big colonial home with the white columns on 3 acres, something we couldn have never afforded (not that they have colonial homes in California). It's in the country, close to Black Creek and just a 10 minute drive into Wilson Proper, ie. the mall, Walmart etc.. I hope with the new Shopping area with Target ,Ross, and Marshalls it will bring in more restaurants. What I really miss is a nice little neighborhood tavern for a quick cocktail after work. I wanted to open one out here but honestly, I dont know how the bible belt locals would feel about this. Anyone have any experience in this department??
Please open up a neighborhood tavern! please, please! lol

The city would not have a problem with this. If you had strippers, then yeah, forget about it....lol

If you did open one up, where in Wilson would you do it? Downtown is just not the place right now. I love going to professor O'cools over at Brentwood. But we need something more laid back. I think a neighborhood tavern would be so cool. I would go for sure. But you need the right atmosphere at a place like that. So the question would be....where in Wilson?

About the new shopping center. I could have sworn there was supposed to be a best Buy and a pets mart. I wonder what happend? Maybe they plan to build on to it in the future.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
My husband and I are transplants from Southern California to Wilson, NC. for a year now and have not really met anyone out here. We are in our late 40's and it seems like most people we have met don't really like "outsiders". Maybe it's the small town thing, but that is what really drew me out here in the first place. I really like it here other then that. Any sugestions ?
I think people here do accept outsiders. My entire family is from NJ. When my grandfather moved here, everyone loved him. He made tons of friends really fast. (of course he was nut though, there easy to love)but my grandfather has 12 brothers and sisters back in Jersey. When they would come down, all the neighbors loved them. In fact, many to this day still go to Jersey to visit them all. Heck, one of my uncles from Jersey even married a lady from Wilson.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:36 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,341,130 times
Quote:
Cassy:

Thanks rsogirl - I appreciate any and all moving info. Neighborhood tavern, people down here drink also! I think it is more the trouble taverns that locals would not like. Something where a few friends could have social drinks and nothing loud? Heck yes I think people would go for it. Most towns have little taverns. Good luck, what a wonderful idea. If I see a new one in town, I'll stop and say hello!

Old 01-06-2007, 01:44 PM

Smile Tavern In Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Please open up a neighborhood tavern! please, please! lol

The city would not have a problem with this. If you had strippers, then yeah, forget about it....lol

If you did open one up, where in Wilson would you do it? Downtown is just not the place right now. I love going to professor O'cools over at Brentwood. But we need something more laid back. I think a neighborhood tavern would be so cool. I would go for sure. But you need the right atmosphere at a place like that. So the question would be....where in Wilson?

About the new shopping center. I could have sworn there was supposed to be a best Buy and a pets mart. I wonder what happend? Maybe they plan to build on to it in the future.
Beffrey :

I was thinking either somewhere along Forest Hills near 301.. or maybe even on 117 closer to Black Creek. I've been looking for months for the right location. Let me know if you have any sugestions. Also, I will be sure to let you know when this happens.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Beffrey :

I was thinking either somewhere along Forest Hills near 301.. or maybe even on 117 closer to Black Creek. I've been looking for months for the right location. Let me know if you have any sugestions. Also, I will be sure to let you know when this happens.

rso,

I would not open one up near black creek or Hwy 301. Why, you can never filter out the types of people who show up at your bar. (now if you like that type of crowd, thats fine) Trust me, you would have trouble with guns and knifes.

I would go with a location near the newer sections of town...I know...bummer. But with the way Wilson is right now, thats it your best bet.

However, Forest Hills near 301 might not be a bad option. However, get flood insurance if you do, that is a major, major, major, flood zone! But the land might be cheap, and you could get the workers from BB&T needing to relax for a drink after work. I would try to get a spot more towards 42 if I were you though, but still on forest Hills.

Good luck, if it is a safe place, I will go for sure. I promise

Old 01-07-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
rso,

I would not open one up near black creek or Hwy 301. Why, you can never filter out the types of people who show up at your bar. (now if you like that type of crowd, thats fine) Trust me, you would have trouble with guns and knifes.

I would go with a location near the newer sections of town...I know...bummer. But with the way Wilson is right now, thats it your best bet.

However, Forest Hills near 301 might not be a bad option. However, get flood insurance if you do, that is a major, major, major, flood zone! But the land might be cheap, and you could get the workers from BB&T needing to relax for a drink after work. I would try to get a spot more towards 42 if I were you though, but still on forest Hills.

Good luck, if it is a safe place, I will go for sure. I promise

Thanks. I didnt realize Black Creek was bad. It's so quiet whenever I drive through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina