Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:59 PM

178 posts, read 549,787 times

Advertisements

Although I learned to drive in Chicago and had my license in CA as well (driving for 30 years), I was super nervous to take the test here after reading the posts regarding how tough it was. Just go to the physical DMV or website and skim the Rules of the Road booklet. The test is not hard if you have common sense and know how to drive properly. There are a few questions that are worded in a manner that make little sense, but this is where the "skip" option comes into play.

The exam is on a touch screen PC and you need to answer 20 correctly to pass. If you come upon an "iffy" question, just hit "skip" in the lower right hand corner of the screen and the "iffy" question goes to the end of the list. I only answered 20 questions and received my license. I came across two "iffy" ones during my test; I hit "skip" and never saw them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 01:10 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
When you move to NC, you don't just transfer your license??? You have to take a test???

Old 02-16-2008, 01:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepito's Mommie View Post
Although I learned to drive in Chicago and had my license in CA as well (driving for 30 years), I was super nervous to take the test here after reading the posts regarding how tough it was. Just go to the physical DMV or website and skim the Rules of the Road booklet. The test is not hard if you have common sense and know how to drive properly. There are a few questions that are worded in a manner that make little sense, but this is where the "skip" option comes into play.

The exam is on a touch screen PC and you need to answer 20 correctly to pass. If you come upon an "iffy" question, just hit "skip" in the lower right hand corner of the screen and the "iffy" question goes to the end of the list. I only answered 20 questions and received my license. I came across two "iffy" ones during my test; I hit "skip" and never saw them again.
Great tip thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
When you move to NC, you don't just transfer your license??? You have to take a test???
If you are out of state and applying for NCDL you will have to take the written and vision test (which are the road signs with out the letters) for instance a orange side ways triangle.

The driving test is at the discretion of the examing officer so dont crash your car into the dmv LOL

Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
What kind of questions are on it? Are they specific or just general? Do you need to study?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What kind of questions are on it? Are they specific or just general? Do you need to study?
I highly suggest studying it. You may know alot of the answers but I always cross things I didnt know or refresh my memory on how to handle that particular situation.

I see many posts on here saying the test is more technical but I think the handbook is disign to help you in various situations you may encounter on NC roads that may not be the same in every state.

sample questions

A driver license is required for which of the following?

I. Sitting in the driver's seat of a car while the engine is running.
II. Steering a car while it is being pushed or towed by another vehicle

____ I only
____ II only
____ Both I and II
____ Neither I and II

If a law enforcement officer swears that a driver has refused a legal chemical test, the Division of Motor Vehicles must:

____ place the driver on probation
____ wait for a court decision before taking action
____ assign the driver to the Driver Improvement Clinic
_____ revoke the driver license for at least 12 months

Which of the following happen(s) under the point system?
  • I. A driver is sent a warning letter when he/she gets 4 points within 3 years.
    II. A driver who gets 12 points within 3 years may lose his/her license
____ I only
____ II only
____ Both I and II
____ Neither I and II

When a driver has a total of 7 points, which of the following may happen?
  • I. The driver can be required to file proof of financial responsibility
    II. The driver can have 3 points deducted if he/she satisfactorily completes a Driver Improvement Clinic
____ I only
____ II only
____ Both I and II
____ Neither I and II

Conviction for which of the following carries the highest number of points?
____ reckless driving
____ driving without a license
____ hit and run with property damage driving without a licensepassing a ____ stopped school bus that is unloading children

A driver will lose his or her license if he or she is convicted of:

____ passing a stopped school bus
____ failing to yield the right of way
____ speeding more than 70 mph in a 55 mph zone

About 38% all traffic fatalities involve which of the following?

I. a drunken person
II. more than one car

____ I only
____ II only
____ Both I and II
____ Neither I and II

The percentage of highway deaths caused by drunken persons is about:

___ 10%
___ 25%
___ 38%
___ 67%

Which of the following statements about pedestrian deaths is (are) correct?

I. In cities, 2 of every 5 people killed in motor vehicle crashes are pedestrians.
II. Most of the pedestrians killed in all traffic crashes are teenagers.

____ I only
____ II only
____ Both I and II
____ Neither I and II

Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Yes becky, it will definitely benefit you to study the handbook.

Good point SunnyKayak. The handbook is designed for NC and does promote itself in a way that is organized enough to understand easily when coming from out of state. And is always to one's advantage being aware of all the rules of driving in NC, then a select few.

Signs are a biggie. You always want to know the signs. You will be asked to identify quite a few of them too.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
Read through the handbook and you will be fine. It isn't hard, it just has some tricky questions on it. It is multiple choice so if you have recently read the answer it should come back to you.
I skimmed the handbook while waiting (about an hour) and passed, missing one question.
The main thing is having all of your documents ready. You will need: current license, proof of residence, proof of insurance and I think birth certificate.
I took mine a month ago.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:25 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
This is an ultra helpful study guide that nicely compliments the handbook - I learned of it when it was posted in the Raleigh/etc. forum - very helpful!

Moderator cut: DM the info

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-18-2008 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 07:44 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
This is very helpful. Do you have the correct answers for these? PM me if you don't want to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I highly suggest studying it. You may know alot of the answers but I always cross things I didnt know or refresh my memory on how to handle that particular situation.

I see many posts on here saying the test is more technical but I think the handbook is disign to help you in various situations you may encounter on NC roads that may not be the same in every state.

sample questions

A driver license is required for which of the following?

I. Sitting in the driver's seat of a car while the engine is running.
II. Steering a car while it is being pushed or towed by another vehicle

____ I only
____ II only
____ Both I and II
____ Neither I and II

If a law enforcement officer swears that a driver has refused a legal chemical test, the Division of Motor Vehicles must:

____ place the driver on probation
____ wait for a court decision before taking action
____ assign the driver to the Driver Improvement Clinic
_____ revoke the driver license for at least 12 months

Which of the following happen(s) under the point system?
  • I. A driver is sent a warning letter when he/she gets 4 points within 3 years.
    II. A driver who gets 12 points within 3 years may lose his/her license
____ I only
____ II only
____ Both I and II
____ Neither I and II

When a driver has a total of 7 points, which of the following may happen?
  • I. The driver can be required to file proof of financial responsibility
    II. The driver can have 3 points deducted if he/she satisfactorily completes a Driver Improvement Clinic
____ I only
____ II only
____ Both I and II
____ Neither I and II

Conviction for which of the following carries the highest number of points?
____ reckless driving
____ hit and run with property damage driving without a licensepassing a ____ stopped school bus that is unloading children

A driver will lose his or her license if he or she is convicted of:

____ passing a stopped school bus
____ failing to yield the right of way
____ speeding more than 70 mph in a 55 mph zone

About 38% all traffic fatalities involve which of the following?

I. a drunken person
II. more than one car

____ I only
____ II only
____ Both I and II
____ Neither I and II

The percentage of highway deaths caused by drunken persons is about:

___ 10%
___ 25%
___ 38%
___ 67%

Which of the following statements about pedestrian deaths is (are) correct?

I. In cities, 2 of every 5 people killed in motor vehicle crashes are pedestrians.
II. Most of the pedestrians killed in all traffic crashes are teenagers.

____ I only
____ II only
____ Both I and II
____ Neither I and II

Old 05-26-2008, 08:14 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
The only questions I felt difficult were ones that pertained to NC's laws specifically.

Oh, and the most common accident type on the expressway is getting rear ended (I got this one wrong). Where I come from, expressways are not parking lots (LOL) and I've never heard of it happening! Here it is common!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina