U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:38 AM

13 posts, read 37,187 times

Advertisements

[quote=backfist]Crime stats (and other stats) aren't always an accurate indicator of prevailing or widespread crime--sometimes they are--but not always. For instance, we're also considering relocating to the Atlanta area as well. Crime stats say: DON'T DO IT! At the same time, Atlanta (city and suburbs) are some of the fastest growing relocation destinations.

I just wanted to give a little heads up on Atlanta. I am from CA and went on the road with my husband last year he is a long haul driver and he had quite a few loads in and out of the Atlanta area. I found that place to be pretty scary lots of rough areas and was warned by locals to stay out of certian areas at night and some night or day. I am not sure what you are acustomed to but I grew up in Modesto CA which has a lot of gang trouble and this area remined me of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,767,871 times
[quote=Kofelover]
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
Crime stats (and other stats) aren't always an accurate indicator of prevailing or widespread crime--sometimes they are--but not always. For instance, we're also considering relocating to the Atlanta area as well. Crime stats say: DON'T DO IT! At the same time, Atlanta (city and suburbs) are some of the fastest growing relocation destinations.

I just wanted to give a little heads up on Atlanta. I am from CA and went on the road with my husband last year he is a long haul driver and he had quite a few loads in and out of the Atlanta area. I found that place to be pretty scary lots of rough areas and was warned by locals to stay out of certian areas at night and some night or day. I am not sure what you are acustomed to but I grew up in Modesto CA which has a lot of gang trouble and this area remined me of that.

I would definitely say to not take the crime-stats as gospel truth. I visited a couple sites one being city-data and another one that allows you to compare cities side by side. I found very different results. For example I live outside Boston, which is about twice the national average in pretty much all the crime-stats. I've never ever had any problems. I know people that live in White Plains NY and go to the NYC every day and have never had any issues- so hopefully no takes these things as gospel truth.

A quick comment on the Atlanta thing, we also consider ATL too, as I went down there a couple years ago and really liked it, BUT Charlotte feels more family oriented which is what we wanted at *this* time in my life (mid 30s). I have several friends that moved to ATL and love it, just complain about the traffic (which I experienced but is no worse than NYC or MA rush hour).

Old 06-21-2006, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 24,835 times
I'm just about 60 and I think I've seen enough to help you out with information about gangs. No matter what you hear or read, once there is one person that wants to start a gang (mainly due to lack of family or family values), it WILL happen. The gangs become their family. Law enforcement at any level can't stop it. They can only respond to it. It's worse today then ever. They can drive just about anywhere they want and there's nothing to stop them. Gangs are basically terrorists. They will always see how far they can go before they are stopped. Even then, it usually starts out small and escalates. From cursing out loud to murder. I could go on forever, but I won't. I've been in Loss Prevention for a major retail chain for the last 9 years. I sit in a room and monitor 75 cameras for shoplifting. I arrest people all the time. It's a 32 billion dollar a year business in losses. That said, I was standing at one of our exits in a large mall, when 2 youths walked in with their pants hanging down near their thighs with their asses and shorts hanging out.
A young man standing next to me said," you let them come into the store like that?" I replied that unless the police see them and tell them to pull up their pants or cover themselves up with their t-shirts, they will be arrested for indecent exposure. The young man replied, "I work securty at a small mall in Mississippi. If they came in like that, they would be thrown out. They can't ever where their hats sideways." I can understand the pants showing their asses hanging out, but a hat worn sideways, and they get away with throwing them out? This young man from Mississippi hasn't run into a gang member yet. If he tried that, he would end up in the hospital or morgue.
Gangs will always start near the major cities and work their way out to rural areas. You'll never stop them, but they can be controlled if you nip it in the bud by law enforcement AND the citizen. The problem is that law enforcement that have never dealt with gangs think they are playing with naive kids acting out. The common citizen doesn't want to see what's happening.
As for me, I'm heading away from the cities in a couple of years with my wife.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 11,561 times
Default Rural Gangs

Well right now I am working on gang activity first hand and whether you want to believe it or not there is a rising presense of gangs in Western North Carolina. These people are the real deal also...not wannabe kids. The age range of the actually gang memebers locally range from 15-30or40. They may not be as violent as the larger branches of the gangs in big cities but rural areas are a great place for recruitment of gang members. There isn't much to do here and it's a chance for kids to get into something but they end up never getting out. Hispanic gangs are growing the fastest In Western North Carolina. Most of this growth happens to be south of Asheville also. Just some food for thought from first hand experience.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:06 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,847,212 times
Many rural areas are just as likely as a city to have drug problems for two good reasons: 1) poverty. and 2) there's nothing else to do.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:15 AM

12,026 posts, read 28,349,871 times
I live in North Raleigh and sometimes you hear about gang activity downtown but I have never seen it first hand. I'm never sure if the stats are correct about ANYTHING I read. I'm a Realtor. Last week I read an article about house sales slowing and the same week, read an article about how sales in Wake County went up! All I know is that my office is BUSY. We have a board that we post sales and new listings on and its FULL. That usually happens this time of year but I'm seeing it happen every month...no slow down in my office.

Oh yhea...when my kids were little...we used to hear about gangs in the schools and they always laughed...they said they never knew about any gangs in their ELEMENTARY schools! So again...I don't know who the surveyors ask when it comes time to do these statistics! Vicki

Old 07-06-2006, 08:24 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,847,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
I live in North Raleigh and sometimes you hear about gang activity downtown but I have never seen it first hand.
Well, it'd be more like Southeast OF downtown.
Cuz I seriously don't think most gang members make a habit of seeing Imax nature films, visiting museums, touring Oakwood gardens, watching the symphony and eating Italian at Cafe Luna or getting tapas at Humble Pie. LOL

Old 07-06-2006, 03:41 PM

30 posts, read 159,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFive-O
Well right now I am working on gang activity first hand and whether you want to believe it or not there is a rising presense of gangs in Western North Carolina. These people are the real deal also...not wannabe kids. The age range of the actually gang memebers locally range from 15-30or40. They may not be as violent as the larger branches of the gangs in big cities but rural areas are a great place for recruitment of gang members. There isn't much to do here and it's a chance for kids to get into something but they end up never getting out. Hispanic gangs are growing the fastest In Western North Carolina. Most of this growth happens to be south of Asheville also. Just some food for thought from first hand experience.
Thanks for the info. From what I have read and personally seen on visits, it does appear the hispanic community may be growing faster in the area South of Asheville more than Asheville itself or North of there. I have read much about MS-13 and am trying to keep away from large populations of hispanics (particularly if they are illegal immigrants) because it seems like MS-13 is a really violent group that does not seem to be stoppable.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:25 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,685,808 times
If you're looking for a large percentage of Hispanics in North Carolina, you'll need to look in the Piedmont & Eastern Plain regions. In the Mountain Region, Surry County has highest percentage of Hispanics, around 8% according to the latest U.S. Census Bureau data. I haven't read or heard of any Hispanic gang activity in the Asheville Metro Area except on Internet forums. It seems to be a myth. I'm 25 miles south of the city of Asheville.

Top 5 NC Hispanic Counties

Duplin - 18.2%
Sampson - 14.3%
Lee - 13.4%
Montgomery - 13.3%
Chatham - 11.4%

http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/Population/Images/popfg17L.gif (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 07-06-2006 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-11-2006, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 11,561 times
Well there may be alot of Hispanics according to your map there but you have to remember all of the illegals and how they are under the radar....Your map is also 6 years old..... Remember...there is alot of Hispanics in the Mountains for agricultural reasons. There may be alot of Hispanics in those regions also but I was just informing that I am personally helping head a gang research program in the Mountains and the numbers we have in our personal crime reports are large...if anyone has questions feel free to ask...I will tell you as much as I am allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina