U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2006, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,696 times

Advertisements

My husband, infant son and I will be moving to Louisburg, NC within the next two years. He received a job oppty that will be opening up in this time frame. A 4 bedroom house is being built in Louisburg for us to live in. All we know is that Louisburg is supposedly about 10 minutes from Cary which is supposedly a nice area. I am looking for more information about that area. Is it totally country, is there a little town with shops, any info would be appreciated. We are planning to take a drive down in a couple of weeks but I would like to know what to expect.

As a side note: We are currently living in Central NJ and are originally from NY. My husband is Italian and I am Puerto Rican. I mention this only to ask, what kind of culture-shock should we be expecting when we eventually move there?? Is Louisburg and the surrounding area somewhat diverse??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2006, 06:55 AM

787 posts, read 3,321,817 times
We have a lake house at Lake Royale in Bunn. That is in the same county as Louisburg and I found it to be a pretty nice place to live. I stayed at the Lake House briefly in 1991 while I was waiting for my Social Security disability benefits to be approved. I wasn't able to work and so my family basically paid the bills, electric, part of the phone bill, and the like until I could get straightened out. Then I moved back to Johnston County. My husband and I were separated at the time. But it was really nice down there. Lake Royale has grown a lot since then but my sister took over my portion of the house and moved into it and has been there almost since I left the place. But it is largely rural. The closest large city would probably be Raleigh to the south. But I liked it there. Ironcially the one thing that I hated about living in Greene County was the one thing that I missed while living in Franklin County. And that was the sense of belonging. I was really irked that everyone knew what was going on in my life before I did part of the time. And that was ironically the one thing that actually sent me running for home. But if you are looking for a nice little area to settle in and like the slower pace living, I believe you will love this place once you get settled. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,909 times
Cary is a good 40-45 minutes away in "good" traffic. Rush hour - it takes about 1hr 1/2 to get into Cary proper from Louisburg.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:00 AM

480 posts, read 2,114,939 times
By no stretch of the imagination is Louisburg 10 minutes away. Louisburg is tucked up in a corner, up on 401 and not far from Youngsville.

That area is a nice place to live, but it's rather far from anything that could be considered urban or even suburban.

To get to Cary, you would have to take 401 to U.S. 1, then take the I-540 loop all the way to the I-40/540 interchange, and then proceed to Cary.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 26,622 times
Louisburg is at LEAST and hour - maybe and hour and a half from Cary. Maybe more on commute time.
There is racial tension in most of the small towns in eastern NC. The bigotry is pretty well doled out in each group- the poor whites resent the poor african Americans who resent the latino immigrants. Good luck, things are different in the metro areas and probably in mushrooming developments which are all kinds of folks from out of town.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:14 AM

3,124 posts, read 11,680,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDangelo View Post
My husband, infant son and I will be moving to Louisburg, NC within the next two years. He received a job oppty that will be opening up in this time frame. A 4 bedroom house is being built in Louisburg for us to live in. All we know is that Louisburg is supposedly about 10 minutes from Cary which is supposedly a nice area. I am looking for more information about that area. Is it totally country, is there a little town with shops, any info would be appreciated. We are planning to take a drive down in a couple of weeks but I would like to know what to expect.

As a side note: We are currently living in Central NJ and are originally from NY. My husband is Italian and I am Puerto Rican. I mention this only to ask, what kind of culture-shock should we be expecting when we eventually move there?? Is Louisburg and the surrounding area somewhat diverse??
You might want to post over at the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
The Triangle Area Forum. It will have more direct information for this area for you.

Louisburg in no where near Cary…but it’s not far from Raleigh, which is going to have most everything you need. Lousiburg in on the outskirts of the Triangle area (not sure I’d call it ‘eastern NC – it’s rapidly becoming one of the ‘further out’ suburbs of Raleigh as many folks commute to there). There are more and more people moving out that wa.

It is a bit more rural, you will have to drive, but it’s a very pretty area. There is some poverty (just like everyone else) but you aren’t going to find it depressed or without out…..it’s on a slow upswing…not on the downslide.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:23 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,878,713 times
My son and his family live in that county. The only negative he has found is that the taxes in that county are the highest of any county in NC. I haven't checked this out. His wife's cousin (who is in the real estate profession) helped them find this house and the value of his house has already gone up 1/3. I think this is the next up and coming county around Raleigh. He did say that all of his neighbors seem to be from the North.

NCACC (http://www.ncacc.org/taxrates08.html - broken link)

That county doesn't have the highest taxes now, they may have been when he first moved in. It looks like Scotland County has the highest tax rate, and that is down from last year.

Last edited by NCN; 09-11-2007 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina