Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:58 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have had it with New Jersey! The only good thing about it is that we don't have to pump our own gas, but now our governor wants to change that too, so we figured now would be a good time to leave. If we have to pump it ourselves, may as well do it somewhere that is not going to involve cold weather and too much snow.
My husband is a Project Manager for a construction management company, I am a newly certified paralegal, and we have a 6 month old daughter. We are looking for a town that has that "small town" feel, good schools, low crime, 30-45minutes from the beach (hard for a jersey girl to quit the beach cold turkey), entertainment, shopping, restaurants relatively nearby, and job opportunities in our respective areas. Salt/freshwater fishing is an absolute must for my husband. We are planning a trip to the Wilmington area for the end of August for the purpose of checking out that area. However, after reading some of the posts here I don't know if Wilmington is where we want to go. Any suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2006, 01:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Anywhere along the coast you are going to have to deal with the reality of serious hurricanes. Wilmington is probably the nicest city on the coast and would be the fastest to rebuild.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 17,504 times
Hey Jersey Girl! I'm from NJ too. We just put our house on the market yesterday and are heading to NC soon. Not much to stay in NJ for anymore. Everything is so expensive. And cold! I'm tired of the snow! Yuck!
We're moving to the Cary or Apex area. More inland then you want. I'm going to miss the shore though. We'll just have to make the 3 hour trip every once and a while to the NC shore. Nothing will compare to Seaside...Wildwood...Pt Pleasant. I'll miss those!

What part of Jersey are you from? I'm from Northern NJ...Morris County.

I also have a baby girl! She's 7 months old. My princess was born on September 26th. She's my one and only so far. But when we move to NC I plan on trying for another. That's one of my other goals!

I don't have any helpful info for you since I'm in the same boat as you are. But I just wanted to post and wish you luck!

-Kim

Old 05-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Thank you for your responses.

Kim-I'm in Middlesex County about 40 minutes from Pt. Pleasant. Not only do I love the shore, but like I said-hubby is an avid sal****er fisherman so we definately want to try and stay near the coast. How did you decide on the area you're going to?

Old 05-05-2006, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 8,961 times
Thumbs up Another NJ resident moving to NC

I am from Union County New Jersey - Roselle Park. We should be putting our house on the market in 6 months. As soon as this sells we would be heading the NC. We are actually going down to NC in June for one week and ride around with a realtor from town to town and check things out. I am soooo excited. My taxes are waaaaay beyond outrageous! Car insurance could be better also. I can't wait to move and sit in a wonderful environment and relax and have a much slower pace on everything. "Our lives will be completely stressfree".

Caryn

Old 05-05-2006, 10:35 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
"Our lives will be completely stressfree".
Again, a DANGERIOUS and unbelieveably common misconseption.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 17,504 times
Ahh...Pt. Pleasant. Many, many, memories there. My mom used to take me there all the time in the summer. It was the first part of the shore that I had ever been to. My husband proposed to me on the beach there. As a matter of fact, that was exactly 4 years ago today!!!
I hope we have a chance to bring our daughter there before we move. It's going to stink not being able to bring her there every summer like I did when I was little. Oh well. We're off to bigger and better things now! Off to a new life! Think of the positives....No major snow...We can actually go to the beach in May and not freeze our butts off!

We decided on the Cary/Apex area because: The houses are descently priced, the area is nice (we visited in Sept), and there are lots of NJ people there so we won't feel THAT far away from home! Oh, and my husband likes the fact that it's near RTP where he could find a job (hopefully!).

-Kim

Old 05-05-2006, 02:40 PM

16 posts, read 41,857 times
Hey girls, I'm not from NJ, we're from CT, but we were looking at the NC coast too. Expensive. Not NE type of expensive, but still more than we'd like. We're looking to cash out up here and be in the low to no mortgage lifestyle, so we're looking about an hour from the beaches. It's a sacrifice, but one we're willing to make. It will be great to focus on our family, not our jobs, first.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:29 AM

91 posts, read 455,501 times
Default Trying to leave NJ too

My family is trying to get out of NJ too. Where we are, it is turning itno a big ghetto. There is so much gang activity that I am worried for the safety of my child. Also, taxes are ridiculous. We will hopefully be making the trip down in the summer to take a look around. I have a 5 year old son and want a better, safer life for him. We are also looking a thte Apex, Cary area. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carynricky525
I am from Union County New Jersey - Roselle Park. We should be putting our house on the market in 6 months. As soon as this sells we would be heading the NC. We are actually going down to NC in June for one week and ride around with a realtor from town to town and check things out. I am soooo excited. My taxes are waaaaay beyond outrageous! Car insurance could be better also. I can't wait to move and sit in a wonderful environment and relax and have a much slower pace on everything. "Our lives will be completely stressfree".

Caryn
My Uncle is from Roselle Park too. He just sold his house and moved into a senior apt. building. He just couldn't afford the property taxes anymore. It's just so unfortunate that a house that he worked so hard for (he and so many others here in NJ) had to be sold because he could no longer afford to pay the darn taxes. It makes you really consider, "Why bother if I can't stay here after retirement."

Joshua-What areas are you looking at an hour from the beaches?? We'd be willing to be that far from the coast. I don't want to live right on the beach...hurricanes scare me a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina