Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,028 times

Advertisements

I live in Faith NC. It is a very small town but not at all primitive living. The small town feel is alive & well here. We are known for our celebrations . . . i.e. Fourth of July Parade. There is actually an entire week of celebrations for July 4 . . . street dances, carnivals, fireworks, etc. We also have 3 churchs and several civic organizations that sponsor various activities all through the year.

Cable TV, Roadrunner, and fast access DSL are alive and well here. The largest mall in the state, Concord Mills is less than 30 minutes away. The queen city, Charlotte is about 45 minutes north. Emergency response is tops and quality health care can be found nearby . . . Rowan Regional is in Rowan Co. but not highly thought of . . . Northeast Medical is 15 minutes away in Concord.

Faith NC is also located in the eastern part of Rowan Co. which is known for it's schools. Faith Elementary has been a "School of Excellence" for several years. A new Elementary school will open this fall to alleviate some of the overcrowding. Southeast Middle School (only 5 years old & the newest Middle School in the county) had the highest growth rate of any school in the county last year . . . mostly due to requested transfers. East Rowan High School is a great school and J.C. Carson High, which will accomodate most the Faith area, will open this fall.

I've lived in Rowan Co. since 1976, primarily in the eastern part of the county. Moved to another area for 16 years but built a house in Faith to raise my children in this area. It's just a great place to be . . . big cities nearby when I want them but I don't have to LIVE in the crowds and noise. Doubt I'll ever leave again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2006, 09:56 AM

320 posts, read 1,557,408 times
How about Brevard, or Hendersonville? There are many other small towns in the Western North Carolina area that might suit you. I love that area.

You may want to take a driving vacation through the area and stop through the various small towns. You can also contact the state tourism bureau and the local bureaus for the towns and the counties in the area as well.

You can also pull up a detailed map of the Western NC area and do individual searches on the various town names to see which have websites, etc.

We are relocating from KY to FL - I wish it was NC! Finding a community in the Tampa area that gives a small town feel is proving to be very difficult.

Good Luck!

Old 06-11-2006, 05:59 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times
I live in Snow Hill, NC, population about 2000 if I count the ones in the local nursing home. We have a Food Lion (grocery store) but I would be willing to bet there are foods out there that I have no idea what they are. Case in point, some time back I was watching "My Blue Heaven" with Steve Martin and he was rattling off New York foods that I only guess what they heck they are. I just figured out what capers are. And I still couldn't give you a clear definition of them. Down here, we don't do a lot of marinating unless you count basting a pig on the grill for several hours. And I absolutely hate Italian dressing that the more enlighten people use when they do marinate something. Lard, learn the word although there has been a shift from that to vegetable oil and corn oil in the past years. Up until that point it was either fried in lard and then smothered at the table with Texas Pete sauce. (I don't eat Texas Pete either). We eat a lot of chicken, beef, and pork and some fish although you guessed it, I don't care for fish either. As for vegetables, we eat what is in season like cucumbers, tomatoes (both of which I hate) lettuce, carrots, beans, peas, okra, (although these have to be fried almost to the point of being shoe leather before I will touch them), sweet corn as we call it, and potatoes. A lot of people have gardens and freeze or can supplies of fresh vegetables and while I have done it, the increased cost of supplies to do it with make it less economical than it used to be. Although I have to say there is nothing like stepping outdoors and getting a cucumber or green pepper for a salad for supper. Oh, we have breakfast, dinner (midday meal) and supper. I hardly ever hear anyone call the northern supper, dinner unless they are trying to make sure someone knows what and when they are talking about. Strawberries are grown locally here and they are wonderful. Then you have some fruit orchards and before the tornadoes of 1984 got my grandmother's pecan trees, she had a pecan orchard that we use to sell pecans out of. I guess the larger cities like Raleigh and Charlotte have the familiar favorites of the north. As for me, I don't miss them because I have either never tried them or never even heard of them. Don't eat mountain oysters. They are not oysters, not even close. They aren't even seafood.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:54 AM

393 posts, read 1,881,167 times
Default just have to throw this in

Dale........check this out. " Christmas Town USA–McAdenville" Talk about a cute historic town.........LOL It isn't far from Charlotte or Huntersville with amenities galore.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:34 AM

143 posts, read 485,575 times
Bethany, are "mountain oysters" related to "prarie oysters?"

Old 06-11-2006, 09:04 AM

Well, I have never heard it called prairie oysters but for those of you still in doubt, watch "Funny Farm" with Chevy Chase and watch him break the "lamb fry" record. Although I don't think they come from sheep as the movie indicates and I personally wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, well, where is mountain man? I bet he can give us the entire low down on what animal of this particular part of the male body comes from. I think it is hog ********* maybe. Hey I gave the medical name maybe I should have just said ball without the "s".

Old 06-11-2006, 02:42 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
I believe Rocky Mountain oysters are from a bull. Haven't tried them, just heard about them.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
I believe Rocky Mountain oysters are from a bull. Haven't tried them, just heard about them.

I believe these come from the bull as well. I have seen them in the meat section of the grocery store and just conjuered up this vision of someone buying them and not knowing what they actually had. Now they sell tongue and that is either pork or beef tongue. Oh and unless you are braver than I am, stay away from the liver pudding.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:55 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
I believe these come from the bull as well. I have seen them in the meat section of the grocery store and just conjuered up this vision of someone buying them and not knowing what they actually had. Now they sell tongue and that is either pork or beef tongue. Oh and unless you are braver than I am, stay away from the liver pudding.
Don't forget headcheese! absolutley discusting.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:40 AM

76 posts, read 453,628 times
I think there are MANY towns like that in NC. You may need to narrow it further by deciding what major city you want to be in proximity to. Would you rather be near Charlotte or Raleigh for example? Beach or mountains? Somewhere in the middle? There are so many options in the Carolinas. I think that is one of the main reasons why we LOVE it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina