U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Zen Buddhist Atheist considering Austin, seeking information on Austin being overly conservative Christian and accepting to other views, non-Christians loving in Austin

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 03:53 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,371,656 times

Advertisements

I've been following this thread out of curiosity. Wondering whether people in North Carolina, religiouswise, are all that much different than people in Central Florida. As far as I can tell, they aren't. Some people, if they feel comfortable with you or like you will ask you what church you go to. Nothing any more offensive about that than them asking what hobies or interests you have.

I'd say that about once every few months we will have some Jehova's Witnesses come to our door, or another group come and hand out tracks in our neighborhood. They are always well dressed, very friendly and not pushy in the least bit.

We used to have a lot of people in the Kissimmee St. Cloud area display the three crosses on their land, and you still see this in the more rural areas around Central Florida. Bumper stickers, fish symbols - yep, we have pleanty of those, as well as pleanty of the darwin take-offs probably displayed by atheists.

So, is North Carlolina any different in this regard than anywhere else; or are newcomers just more sensitive to these things when they are in a place that they already feel a little out of place?

Old 01-08-2007, 04:10 PM

10,017 posts, read 17,025,880 times
I would have just appreciated it if that wasnt the way every conversation started. How about, Where are you from? What do you do? Do you like it here so far? How are you adjusting? How are the kids? But no I got what church do you go to? I would say none, then most would say, Oh, well have a nice day. Not all were like this, but plenty were the friends we managed to make we all from another part of the country. My husband got into a verbal argument with a neighbor that thought we needed to be saved, he brought a bible over to recite to us. I am always polite, but at that point I had had enough. I would never bash Christianity, just the people that go to far.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,357,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I would have just appreciated it if that wasnt the way every conversation started. How about, Where are you from? What do you do? Do you like it here so far? How are you adjusting? How are the kids? But no I got what church do you go to? I would say none, then most would say, Oh, well have a nice day. Not all were like this, but plenty were the friends we managed to make we all from another part of the country. My husband got into a verbal argument with a neighbor that thought we needed to be saved, he brought a bible over to recite to us. I am always polite, but at that point I had had enough. I would never bash Christianity, just the people that go to far.

That's a totally valid response. No one wants values or religion shoved down their throats. I would be offended by that as well.
Your post shows the difference between disliking a certain behavior, and coming on here to criticize (that's an understatement) an entire faith.
I personally thank you for that, Nea1.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
That's a totally valid response. No one wants values or religion shoved down their throats. I would be offended by that as well.
Your post shows the difference between disliking a certain behavior, and coming on here to criticize (that's an understatement) an entire faith.
I personally thank you for that, Nea1.
It isnt about the faith. As I have faith it is a beautiful thing, I just choose to not go to church.The guy went to far. Some are what we non natives refer to as a bible thumper. I think if we had moved to Charlotte or maybe Asheville we would have had a better time.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It isnt about the faith. As I have faith it is a beautiful thing, I just choose to not go to church.The guy went to far. Some are what we non natives refer to as a bible thumper. I think if we had moved to Charlotte or maybe Asheville we would have had a better time.

I also wish you'd had a better experience. I always read your posts and respect your opinions. Too bad NC wasn't for you.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I also wish you'd had a better experience. I always read your posts and respect your opinions. Too bad NC wasn't for you.
Well we always talk about Asheville, we will go back there, absolutly beautiful. We retire in 30 years, we may end up there.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 PM

1,531 posts, read 6,847,212 times
Quote:
Some are what we non natives refer to as a bible thumper.
No, us natives would call them that as well!

Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 PM

101 posts, read 567,554 times
So folks come and knock on your door "to the spread word" without being asked? That is like my father was talking about in Texas. Is there a a "no call" list like for other spammers/solicitors? I wouldn't really want anyone bugging me. That is what I always liked about Buddhist monks, it is not a proselytizing religion/phlosophy. Hmm, I just don't know then. I have a lot of family in NC, but things maybe haven't changed all that much.

I plan on visiting still. I haven't seen my father's Aunt Gordy who lives in Dallas for some time or my second cousins, but a little skeptical about moving. I just heard that they needed teachers in NC and that Asheville was a beautiful place in the mountains without the usual Southern extreme heat/humidity. Plus, I wouldn't mind a place where you can order grits at a restaurant.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
It is not in any way a symbol of hatred, or exclusion. Being proud of Christianity should suddenly be a negative?? Businesses should hide their Christianity? I'm afraid not. What about organizations such as the Jewish Business Association? The Jewish Business Alliance? The Jewish Association For Business?

I don't mind any of these organizations. Do you? What's wrong with a group supporting eachother?

I've never heard any one talk against giving business to Jews. Would we rather support Christians? A lot of Christians here would. That's a choice to support eachother, not an act of hatred!

If you do come from the Northeast, you already know how incredibly tight knit the Jewish communities are. Some neighborhoods are made up of mostly Orthodox Jews don't even allow the local police to get involved in their matters. Hey, that's fine for them. I do live and let live. But I wouldn't move into town and start complaining about how they live their lives.

I received a negative rep for this post. While I don't care about the red dot, the person wrote that I sound like a bigot. That I do care about! No one has ever accused me of being a bigot. If you read my other posts on this subject, I make it clear that a person's religious beliefs don't matter to me! I posted the above because another poster complained about Christian business owners displaying fish symbols in their windows. I was making the point that other religions also support eachother in business-publicly-there's nothing wrong with that! In know way was trying to be offensive! I am truly sorry if this post came across that way.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:27 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,847,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoazian View Post
So folks come and knock on your door "to the spread word" without being asked? That is like my father was talking about in Texas. Is there a a "no call" list like for other spammers/solicitors? I wouldn't really want anyone bugging me. That is what I always liked about Buddhist monks, it is not a proselytizing religion/phlosophy. Hmm, I just don't know then. I have a lot of family in NC, but things maybe haven't changed all that much.

I plan on visiting still. I haven't seen my father's Aunt Gordy who lives in Dallas for some time or my second cousins, but a little skeptical about moving. I just heard that they needed teachers in NC and that Asheville was a beautiful place in the mountains without the usual Southern extreme heat/humidity. Plus, I wouldn't mind a place where you can order grits at a restaurant.
Again, it really depends where you are. I really don't see urban NC areas to be anywhere near the bible belt extreme of the rural parts. Here in central Raleigh, I think after 4 years in this house I've gotten one doorbell ring for that and I just didn't answer it. I actually get people wanting to sell magazines more often.

I still think if you spend any decent amount of time in Asheville...particularly the downtown part...you'll like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina