U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Zen Buddhist Atheist considering Austin, seeking information on Austin being overly conservative Christian and accepting to other views, non-Christians loving in Austin

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:33 PM

10 posts, read 28,016 times

Advertisements

I am from the Foothills/Piedmont area and understand your hesitation. I lived in MA for a while and was never asked where I went to church, but here? Very common thing.
Some will disapprove if you're "the wrong" denomination even so try not to worry about it. I have told a couple of Jehovah Winesses I was Zen Buddist and they smile, nod and back away.

Most of the time even if they dissapprove they will be polite... there is even a Wiccan church in Lincolnton these days.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:32 PM

823 posts, read 3,609,174 times
I think, based on Desdemona discussion of the privacy issue, that I will now respond to "Which church?" with "I consider that private" unless I feel a need to reveal more. The question asker may feel uncomfortable with that reply, but, perhaps, not any more uncomfortable than I feel being asked the question. I would just be stating that "which church" conversation game is not one that I want to play.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,355,005 times
A good, thoughtful post Desdemona. True, a Church going Christian would not experience the same negativity. Those of us who don't behave that way find it unimaginable.

Hopefully, this will be an eye opener for some of the people who do alienate anyone who doesn't share their beliefs. We can always hope, right?

Old 01-12-2007, 04:51 PM

101 posts, read 567,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
They wont even know, its not like you are in an Interracial Marriage and moving to NC, where people will not like that very much
Actually, I am white and my GF is Asian. I thought only the deep south was still so ignorant about interracial marriage.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:58 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,667,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoazian View Post
Actually, I am white and my GF is Asian. I thought only the deep south was still so ignorant about interracial marriage.
People really have to get over their stereotypes.

What do you consider the " Deep South "? Some imaginary line where people are automatically racist?

Racism has been all over the country. Do you think places up north never had segregated facilities?

Old 01-12-2007, 06:37 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,405,482 times
As an Episcopalian I have gotten some raised eyebrows here, since it is a relatively liberal denomination. I steer the conversation to the parts of Christianity we hold in common.
But, back in NY being a church -goer made my family stand out, so I am used to being a bit out of the mainstream.

BTW as was discussed many months ago on another thread, although it is not taught much in the north, we had slavery there!
I heard a guy on talk radio today say that Massachusetts was the 1st of the colonies to legalize slavery!!!!
Wow! Did any of you know that? I sure did not!
MA is considered so liberal and enlightened, and I never have heard much about the slavery issue there vis a vis their current racial climate.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:26 PM

94 posts, read 318,041 times
As a life-long resident of central NC (Burlington) - aside from the JWs and LDS missionaries - I've never once been asked what church I attend. I'm sure there are zealots out there, but of course they're everywhere. Many Chrisitians consider it their duty to witness fervently, and I personally have no problem with it - just never see it in action much! Or the divisiveness.
As a matter of fact, my church (Catholic) has a joint outreach ministry with several Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian churches in the area. And on Palm Sunday the congregants of the Presbyterian church across the side street from my church gathers with us in the road and we all collect our palms and pray together.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:10 PM

1,531 posts, read 6,844,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke101 View Post
Certainly the church question can be a tough one, but in the South where it is simply a way of life for many, don't you think it is an "I'd like to get to know you better" question, kind of like "where do you live?" I truly do not believe that anyone needs to be either offended or defensive. I think that those of us who are "guests" in the south, need to except the question in the good manner in which it was intended. I don't think southerners are doing anything they were not born and raised to do, which is to be friendly and hospitable to others. Let's face it religion is a huge part of southern culture and if you want to live there you need to except and embrace the culture for all it's aspects.
~Duke101
Uh...I dunno. I was born and raised in the South, I was always taught that getting all personal about a person's religion was totally uncouth, and actually contrary to traditional southern hospitality. It's fine if someone you know well mentions "My weekend was yadda yadda, then Sunda we went to church"...and then to follow up with a "oh really? where do you go?". But to come right up to a stranger or new neighbor and say "And to what church do YOU go to???"....Ugh. Uncouth...simple as that.

I think a lot of the scenerios described in this thread reflect more on this newfound growth of hardcore evangelical/fundamentalist Christian groups that's erupted in the past decade. Moderate Christians are rarely that way.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:10 PM

17 posts, read 80,581 times
Default Wow

carolina jack said:

"albion,

I doubt anyone will even know unless you tell them and then if they dont like you, then why would you even care.

They wont even know, its not like you are in an Interracial Marriage and moving to NC, where people will not like that very much"

I am floored that a conversation about religion could turn into one about color. All I can say is ignorance is just that ignorance! God made people of all different colors, it's a sad thing that people STILL dont accept that.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:40 PM

116 posts, read 414,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Uh...I dunno. I was born and raised in the South, I was always taught that getting all personal about a person's religion was totally uncouth, and actually contrary to traditional southern hospitality. It's fine if someone you know well mentions "My weekend was yadda yadda, then Sunda we went to church"...and then to follow up with a "oh really? where do you go?". But to come right up to a stranger or new neighbor and say "And to what church do YOU go to???"....Ugh. Uncouth...simple as that.

I think a lot of the scenerios described in this thread reflect more on this newfound growth of hardcore evangelical/fundamentalist Christian groups that's erupted in the past decade. Moderate Christians are rarely that way.
RaleighRob,
Thanks for staitening me out, just thought southerners were perhaps trying to be nice and it was being misconstrued. Never thought of the question being "uncouth" and simply considered it, as you suggested, part of pleasant converstation. It is pretty cut and dry to me either you are a church goer or not and I don't think either need to be offended. Lets face it folks, in the big picture of things, there are a lot more important things to worry about!
~Duke101
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina