U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Zen Buddhist Atheist considering Austin, seeking information on Austin being overly conservative Christian and accepting to other views, non-Christians loving in Austin

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 08:09 PM

101 posts, read 566,678 times

Advertisements

My family is from the Carolina's, grandpa from south and grandma from the north and my dad was born there, but was an army brat. I still have family around Dallas and other areas. Anyhow, I am a Zen Buddhist leaning Atheist and wondering if any area like Asheville would at all be feasible? My father recently retired outside Austin, Texas from CA and has been having trouble adjusting to the heavy Christian society. Anyhow, not looking to rile folks up, just curious it is still highly devout like I hear from my family who is from there or have things changed?

Old 01-06-2007, 08:23 PM

607 posts, read 1,014,505 times
Asheville is a very liberal city and from what I hear, very open. I would say you have nothing to worry about. I know many people who are of other religions, or dont attend church, I dont, and I sure dont get patronized for it.

Of course there will always be people who disapprove but not to the point where its overbearing.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:49 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,627,656 times
You should be find in the liberal areas of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill also.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 PM

462 posts, read 1,695,015 times
Asheville has about ten centers, [like the Zen Center of Asheville or the Dharma Center of Asheville]. There is a temple in Boone.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:00 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,662,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I'd like to know where...lol. To be honest....unless you are Christian, I really think it's best to avoid all mention of religion around here.

I admit, this is the one thing I have not gotten used to about it down here. Love and adore everything else.....can not grasp the whole bible belt mentality.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:17 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,627,656 times
Carrboro
Piedmont Karma Thegsum Choling
Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill Zen Center
Durham
Shambhala Meditation Center
Raleigh
Piedmont Zen Group
Kadampa Center
Pittsboro
Brooks Branch Zendo

Old 01-07-2007, 06:21 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,314,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Yeah, the Triangle and Asheville are probably the best two "fits" for this within the state. I'm sure there are areas of Charlotte (perhaps the neighborhoods nearer uptown?) but when I lived in suburban Charlotte there 9 years ago, I was definitely asked "where do you worship?" by lots of different people.

On the other hand, since living in Durham, I've only been asked twice whether I had a church and was looking, and it's always been in a warm and welcoming way. I have never seen anyone stigmatized here for not being of faith.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:24 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,833,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Yeah, the Triangle and Asheville are probably the best two "fits" for this within the state. I'm sure there are areas of Charlotte (perhaps the neighborhoods nearer uptown?) but when I lived in suburban Charlotte there 9 years ago, I was definitely asked "where do you worship?" by lots of different people.

On the other hand, since living in Durham, I've only been asked twice whether I had a church and was looking, and it's always been in a warm and welcoming way. I have never seen anyone stigmatized here for not being of faith.
I definitely agree with this too. (You'll get that "where do you worship" question alot in Winston-Salem too!)
The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/ChapelHill/Carrboro) and Asheville (the city proper, not the suburbs) are definitely the two best places for you if you're of a non-Christian orientation.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:41 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,987,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I'd like to know where...lol. To be honest....unless you are Christian, I really think it's best to avoid all mention of religion around here.

I admit, this is the one thing I have not gotten used to about it down here. Love and adore everything else.....can not grasp the whole bible belt mentality.
I agree here, lived in Raleigh, we got asked where we worshipped and also asked too many times if we wanted to join, when we said no thank you, either they stopped talking to us or gave us a disapproving look. I think you would have better luck in Asheville.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:07 PM

131 posts, read 139,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post

Desdemona123,That is good advise. The less said sometimes is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina