Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 12:28 AM

21 posts, read 86,523 times

Advertisements

Though I have read many threads about people being uncomfortable with the openly Christian attitude of many in North Carolina, I am excited about the change. We are moving to North Carolina in three days, on of the deciding factors was the open Christian atmosphere in the state. Coming from California this is a welcome change. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for any churches in the union county area? How about private schools? Let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 09:32 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,632,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Though I have read many threads about people being uncomfortable with the openly Christian attitude of many in North Carolina, I am excited about the change. We are moving to North Carolina in three days, on of the deciding factors was the open Christian atmosphere in the state. Coming from California this is a welcome change. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for any churches in the union county area? How about private schools? Let us know.
Don't worry....you won't have any problems find them. Just be polite to the rest of us about it.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:13 PM

131 posts, read 187,168 times
Quote:
Chenry,
you were asking about NC?I hope you enjoy it here.My wife is from Los Angeles and we have lived here in NC and she loves it.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Don't worry....you won't have any problems find them. Just be polite to the rest of us about it.
It seems that some folks are having a problem with this comment of mine...lots of negative reputation comments (but guess what...lol....more positive ones...it balances.)

Maybe when you get here you will understand a bit the issues that the not overly churchy folks go through in NC. It's not uncommon to be treated rudely, openly shunned, have false gossip spread about the neighborhood if you mention to the wrong person that you don't attend church, or just as bad, go to a church they don't approve of. Never mind that their kid is a drug dealer....he does it at chruch so it's okay. **rolls eyes**

Roman Catholics often face the same sort of nastiness and are Christian. It shocked some friends of mine that calling a Catholic a 'mackerel eater' really is an insult.

I don't think it's too much to ask for Christians to follow the example of Jesus and be polite to the rest of us....it's just that so many don't.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,178 times
I am new to N.C. We've been here for three months,still looking for a church to suit us. Also from Calif. N.C. is a wonderful place for christians. Love the bible belt.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,234 times
Quote:

well im glad to hear yall are moving to NC.
where about in union county are you headed to?
im moving to monroe in a little over a year, im excited for it myself.
hope you get to know the Lord better and see good folks modeling Christ!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:26 AM

328 posts, read 1,031,353 times
Default Bible Belt Mentality.......

We will be moving into the "Bible Belt" shortly. I have been reading the comments with both amusement and a bit of concern. First , I have no problem declaring that I am Christian. What denomination is my business and mine alone. If and when my beliefs concerning God and his Son Jesus Christ are questioned I will be happy to answer honestly. If a "Fellow Christian" from any particular denomination is rude, shuns or scorns me because I am not of his Denomination why would I ever desire to be in his presence after such treatment. Since I have addressed this potential issue already I know fully that there will be people who believe as I do and people who don't. My choice is to " Fellowship" with those who accept me and to practice the Principles of Christianity ( To the best of my ability) with those who don't. That means respect their beliefs and move on. This practice almost always works and in the rare instance that it doesn't?..... well there are other ways !
WE ARE ALL GOD'S PEOPLE.....Take this into Meditation, Prayer, Whatever.
Dwell on it !!!
As Always,
Spiritwalker

Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 AM

607 posts, read 2,423,693 times
Default Shrug it off!!

[quote=Desdemona123;257258]It seems that some folks are having a problem with this comment of mine...lots of negative reputation comments (but guess what...lol....more positive ones...it balances.)

Maybe when you get here you will understand a bit the issues that the not overly churchy folks go through in NC. It's not uncommon to be treated rudely, openly shunned, have false gossip spread about the neighborhood if you mention to the wrong person that you don't attend church, or just as bad, go to a church they don't approve of. Never mind that their kid is a drug dealer....he does it at chruch so it's okay. **rolls eyes**

Roman Catholics often face the same sort of nastiness and are Christian. It shocked some friends of mine that calling a Catholic a 'mackerel eater' really is an insult.

Desdemona;
Ya got to shrug it off. There are people that hate fat people, which I am. I shrug it off when they are openly rude to me. So what?? They have to live with themselves. I know I am a great person, I hold my head high. Just shrug it off. Stop worrying what other people think, and just be happy.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Quote:
It seems that some folks are having a problem with this comment of mine...lots of negative reputation comments (but guess what...lol....more positive ones...it balances.)

Desdemona;
Ya got to shrug it off. There are people that hate fat people, which I am. I shrug it off when they are openly rude to me. So what?? They have to live with themselves. I know I am a great person, I hold my head high. Just shrug it off. Stop worrying what other people think, and just be happy.
Oh I do for the most part....but when they are standing in your front yard screaming...lol...it's sometimes hard. I just don't think it's right that a certain group of people can be rude to others and never called on it...especially, since we've been told many times in this thread, Christians are supposed to be kind and loving.

I don't tolerate hypocrisy well....and to see it being branded 'southern culture' (when I know it isn't) is just wrong.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:05 PM

22,996 posts, read 34,258,882 times
Quote:
Oh I do for the most part....but when they are standing in your front yard screaming...lol...it's sometimes hard. I just don't think it's right that a certain group of people can be rude to others and never called on it...especially, since we've been told many times in this thread, Christians are supposed to be kind and loving.

I don't tolerate hypocrisy well....and to see it being branded 'southern culture' (when I know it isn't) is just wrong.
I hate hypocrisy as well. That is NOT the way a Christian should be. Christians should be kind and loving and follow the example of Jesus. I am a Christian but I am not religious. I try to live my life as an example of Jesus. and just for the record, if we were friends I would NEVER condem you, be rude to you, or yell at you that is wrong. What I tell people is don't look to these so called Christians but look to Jesus for the way to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina