Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 PM

161 posts, read 464,524 times

Advertisements

I just relocated to Raleigh short of one month. New Yorkers are discriminated against. However, nursing is a good profession here. Check Duke University Hospital, WakeMed and Rex Hospital. They are good well known facilities and with their benefits come perks. Such as; if you rent you get a discount on the application and administrative fees so that's a good thing. As far as IT Jobs go I see it seems to be lucrative but don't venture out without a job.
In NY I was unemployed for one year and I now have a part time spot a few blocks away from home and a car right now is not feasible. I am pending at Sony Ericcson so let's see what happens with that. However, I am in the loop for other things applying for state jobs, city and federal too not just corporate. I am also thinking I will relocate to Charlotte if I have to for a position. Don't relocate with good prospects for employment first. Also, I think it's luck too. I heard of someone who got a job the first week she was here and her husband was relocated from Upstate NY to be a professor at Duke University. So you see it's just a matter of luck and it works differently for everyone. However, do your research well and have your ducks in order and you will be fine. You are both too marketable people.

All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 10:59 AM

161 posts, read 464,524 times
Default prejuduces

I am happy to hear that most of you are having good experiences. I on the otherhand have been here one month and I have gotten nothing but nasty responses from people being a New Yorkers. So prejudice does exist here.
I have met plenty of southerners and most of them are not as friendly as they are cracked up to be. Any suggestions on job sites? Can anyone recommend anything? I have been to several headhunters but the key is being liked.

Regards,

Old 09-21-2007, 02:06 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanvas View Post
Also, I think it's luck too. I heard of someone who got a job the first week she was here and her husband was relocated from Upstate NY to be a professor at Duke University. So you see it's just a matter of luck and it works differently for everyone.
That isn't luck. That is networking. I'm moving next month so that my wife can take a position in SC. Between our friends, family and her new employer I've been offered more help in finding a job than I can possibly use.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:55 AM

241 posts, read 755,505 times
North Carolina's jobless rate dropped last month for the first time since February. State officials say the drop to 4.8 percent came in part because the state's labor force shrank.

The state's unemployment rate has stayed between 4.5 percent and 5 percent for the past year. It reached the low point in February and March, grew to 4.8 percent in April and May, and then to 4.9 percent in June. It peaked in July at 5 percent before dropping last month.

State labor officials say the labor force dropped very slightly, from 4.58 million people in July to 4.54 million in August.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomnNC View Post
North Carolina's jobless rate dropped last month for the first time since February. State officials say the drop to 4.8 percent came in part because the state's labor force shrank.

The state's unemployment rate has stayed between 4.5 percent and 5 percent for the past year. It reached the low point in February and March, grew to 4.8 percent in April and May, and then to 4.9 percent in June. It peaked in July at 5 percent before dropping last month.

State labor officials say the labor force dropped very slightly, from 4.58 million people in July to 4.54 million in August.
Sorry, the jobless rate numbers and what's generating them are as meaningful as the excuses to why the gas prices can jump 15 cents a gallon overnight: Basically, it's the government pacifying it's people. Nothing else.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:41 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
As I mentioned on other threads I'm moving to SC very soon. I haven't been conducting an active job search but so far I've applied for 3 jobs and gotten 2 interviews. Love that good ol' boy network.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 PM

6 posts, read 12,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
my husband posted his resume with a few recruiters when we were exploring the moving thing. We were from michigan and last year relocated to nc. He got calls regarding move/job in az, tn, fl and nc. That was all in about 3 months! Try to google your career and find recruiters, that way the company will fly you for an interview and in our case they flew both of us down. It was very important to them that i was ready to leave our home state. Positive experience!

can you give me some websites...looking for a job in nc, planning on moving by end of yr..thanks

Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabess View Post
can you give me some websites...looking for a job in nc, planning on moving by end of yr..thanks
Please start an new thread with a catchy title so you will get noticed. You "bumped" a thread that is 4 years old.

Anyway, general purpose jobsites are indeed.com and monster.com . depending on your field, you may have to research specific employers and locate their job sites.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,253 times
I moved to Charlotte June 8th and still haven't found work. I tried for 2 years to get here posting resumes still no call. Have two degrees, have extensive experience. Resigned from my job and basically walk out on faith. Had a little savings running out now. Went from good credit to bad. Live in a nice area in Charlotte. If it wasnt for my husband who is still in Columbus I will be going under. He is a software programmer who makes decent money travel back and forth to see us every other weekend to make sure we are ok. He is also trying to move here and has received numerous calls. All I have been getting is promising jobs from temp agencies who not only look at you crazy if you ask for at least $45k a year. With that said being in a place that's a ggreat place to live has no jobs. My advice is as long you have a savings that you could live on 6 months then you may be find if not I recommend you find work before moving here.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 AM

173 posts, read 296,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makichs View Post
I moved to Charlotte June 8th and still haven't found work. I tried for 2 years to get here posting resumes still no call. Have two degrees, have extensive experience. Resigned from my job and basically walk out on faith. Had a little savings running out now. Went from good credit to bad. Live in a nice area in Charlotte. If it wasnt for my husband who is still in Columbus I will be going under. He is a software programmer who makes decent money travel back and forth to see us every other weekend to make sure we are ok. He is also trying to move here and has received numerous calls. All I have been getting is promising jobs from temp agencies who not only look at you crazy if you ask for at least $45k a year. With that said being in a place that's a ggreat place to live has no jobs. My advice is as long you have a savings that you could live on 6 months then you may be find if not I recommend you find work before moving here.
Odd.

I live in Greenville, SC and just got a job in Charlotte with no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina