Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2006, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,930 times

Advertisements

Our family will be moving soon to this area. The jobs are already in place. Anything you might tell us about this area? Private versus Public elementary schools, taxes, health care for us and our pets? We love sports exspecially volleyball. Where would we play? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 08:51 PM

30 posts, read 121,662 times
Don't know all that as we just moved to NC in July but if you're in Elizabethtown, make sure to visit White Lake as it is awesome!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,859 times
Welcome to NC!! E-town is small, clean and friendly. From what I know, there is a good chance you will find the sports enthusiasts you want to join. I have a "old time" cottage at White Lake that my family has been spending some time every summer for 50 years. Ok, I'm OLD. So nice to see new families coming in. Good Luck

Old 06-04-2008, 07:40 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Our family will be moving soon to this area. The jobs are already in place. Anything you might tell us about this area? Private versus Public elementary schools, taxes, health care for us and our pets? We love sports exspecially volleyball. Where would we play? Thx
Welcome to the area. E-Town is small and friendly like the other poster said. The most activity is around White Lake as I also have a family cottage located on the lake (since the 50's). E-Town has a small downtown with specialty shops and the infamous "Melvin's" hamburger joint, which has changed hands. The only major shopping is Wal-Mart, otherwise most people go to Wilmington or Fayetteville or Clinton (if you want to get to a home improvement store or Belks department store). The good school I know about is "Harolds" and I believe it is a private, and a christian school. The public schools and hospital have a lot to be desired. I know because my father-in-law is a Doctor and I still have a very good friends that live in E-town. However, they do have some great doctors in private practice there. So if it is an emergency, I'd go to another hospital if possible for anything major.

White Lake, which is not far from E-town (a few miles) is a wonderful resort area. Water skiing is major and you can do many things entertainment wise here. There are many events held at this lake. If you have kids, it will be a dream come true to them. Heck, it is for me too as I go there as often as possible. The lake is clear and has a sandy bottom.

As far as pets.. the mindset in this area is pets are out doors and should be treated as such. Not my mindset. There is a vet in E-town that is pretty good I hear, but I can't remember the name. They are more up-to-date on medicine and treat animals with great care.

Can't help on the volleyball.. I've never seen any, but that doesn't mean it's not available. Hope that helps.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:09 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
Welcome to the area. E-Town is small and friendly like the other poster said. The most activity is around White Lake as I also have a family cottage located on the lake (since the 50's). E-Town has a small downtown with specialty shops and the infamous "Melvin's" hamburger joint, which has changed hands. The only major shopping is Wal-Mart, otherwise most people go to Wilmington or Fayetteville or Clinton (if you want to get to a home improvement store or Belks department store). The good school I know about is "Harolds" and I believe it is a private, and a christian school. The public schools and hospital have a lot to be desired. I know because my father-in-law is a Doctor and I still have a very good friends that live in E-town. However, they do have some great doctors in private practice there. So if it is an emergency, I'd go to another hospital if possible for anything major.

White Lake, which is not far from E-town (a few miles) is a wonderful resort area. Water skiing is major and you can do many things entertainment wise here. There are many events held at this lake. If you have kids, it will be a dream come true to them. Heck, it is for me too as I go there as often as possible. The lake is clear and has a sandy bottom.

As far as pets.. the mindset in this area is pets are out doors and should be treated as such. Not my mindset. There is a vet in E-town that is pretty good I hear, but I can't remember the name. They are more up-to-date on medicine and treat animals with great care.

Can't help on the volleyball.. I've never seen any, but that doesn't mean it's not available. Hope that helps.

The private school you're referencing is Harrell's Christian Academy. It is in Harrell's, in lower Sampson County, maybe 30 min. from E-Town.

As for the hospital, Bladen General, it has just been bought by Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, and I'm sure you'll see lots of improvements in facilities, and care.

As for shopping, there are several nice little "boutique" type shops on "main street" in E-town. But Clinton has a Belk, Lowes, Goodys, Hibbitt's Sporting Goods, lots of restaurants, and plenty of other shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina