U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 19,534 times

Advertisements

What is the best City in NC (Charlotte and east) for county taxes. Looking for the lowest taxes when I retire to NC.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM

22,080 posts, read 40,170,867 times
According to the state figures for the counties
Ashe, Dare, Currituck, Jackson, Avery has the lowest county property tax rates less than $0.40 per 100
http://www.dor.state.nc.us/publicati..._tax_rates.pdf

Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 AM

28 posts, read 55,629 times
Check this link out for Union County Taxes:

http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...Rates07-08.pdf

Many areas in the county are "unincorporated" but near some of the cities or villages, giving you the best of both worlds. Also, schools here have a great reputation, which even if you are retiring, is important in retaining/increasing your home values.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncqueenbee View Post
Check this link out for Union County Taxes:

http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...Rates07-08.pdf

Many areas in the county are "unincorporated" but near some of the cities or villages, giving you the best of both worlds. Also, schools here have a great reputation, which even if you are retiring, is important in retaining/increasing your home values.
I would not consider Union County for the best taxes according to that link you provided .71 cent per 100 is kinda up there plus add on all those villages city taxes of a very popular relocation county that definite will go up quite a bit to handle the growth of that county.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:45 AM

2,183 posts, read 4,699,442 times
Wake County's new tax rate is looking like $.53 per $100. Of course if you live inside the Raleigh city limits it will be about another $.38 on top of that, but $.91 per $100 total is not too shabby. Live just outside any of Wake counties cities/towns then you're getting a pretty darn good deal.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,725,978 times
Sunny...do you have any idea what the propery tax rate is for Charlotte city?

I thought Charlotte was about $1.30 per $100. (to much)

Thought Mecklenburg County was about $.84 per $100 and Charlotte city was another $.46 per $100.

If you can stand the cold....Ashe & Avery County next to Boone would be a great location to move to. Low taxes & beautiful scenary.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Sunny...do you have any idea what the propery tax rate is for Charlotte city?

I thought Charlotte was about $1.30 per $100. (to much)

Thought Mecklenburg County was about $.84 per $100 and Charlotte city was another $.46 per $100.

If you can stand the cold....Ashe & Avery County next to Boone would be a great location to move to. Low taxes & beautiful scenary.
Your math is correct
2007TaxRates (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Tax+Collections/Tax+Rates/2007TaxRates.htm - broken link)

Old 06-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Davidson County has pretty low taxes and is convenient to almost everywhere.

You could be in Winston-Salem in about 30 minues and Greensboro in about 30-40 minutes and Charlotte in about 45min - 1hr. Pretty convenient.

It is kinda Northeast of Charlotte (since you mentioned East) straight up I-85. Also the BBQ Capital on NC (maybe the US). Love me some Speedy's BBQ & Lexington BBQ.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Davidson County has pretty low taxes and is convenient to almost everywhere.

You could be in Winston-Salem in about 30 minues and Greensboro in about 30-40 minutes and Charlotte in about 45min - 1hr. Pretty convenient.

It is kinda Northeast of Charlotte (since you mentioned East) straight up I-85. Also the BBQ Capital on NC (maybe the US). Love me some Speedy's BBQ & Lexington BBQ.

SHHH dont tell no one not yet anyways til I know where they will be building that solar farm so I can look into investing in homes near it.
I have a gut feeling it will be in the Linwood , Tyro area.

I hated it as young male but I look at that county from a little older person prospective and after living in Mecklenburg that Davidson is actually pretty idea. Low crime lots of rural land you can do five errands in a hour vs 2 in Mecklenburg

Davidson county rate is pretty low in comparison of other counties and yes as stated above it is in a great central location in the state.
Northern Davidson has already become the bedroom community for Winston Salem and now Wallburg and Ledford areas are for High Point and Greensboro.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
SHHH dont tell no one not yet anyways til I know where they will be building that solar farm so I can look into investing in homes near it.
I have a gut feeling it will be in the Linwood , Tyro area.

I hated it as young male but I look at that county from a little older person prospective and after living in Mecklenburg that Davidson is actually pretty idea. Low crime lots of rural land you can do five errands in a hour vs 2 in Mecklenburg

Davidson county rate is pretty low in comparison of other counties and yes as stated above it is in a great central location in the state.
Northern Davidson has already become the bedroom community for Winston Salem and now Wallburg and Ledford areas are for High Point and Greensboro.
I LOVE the Tyro, Linwood & Southmont areas. Less developed. As a younger person Davidson County would not appeal to me...but as I get older...the simple life sounds real good. And people are still nice and friendly. Of course you will always have a bad apple in every bunch.

North Davidson to me is basically Southern Winston-Salem and quite developed.

What solar farm?...or is that a secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina