Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 11:10 PM

20 posts, read 53,816 times

Advertisements

Hello, i'm new to this but think it's a wonderful forum!

I am currently a student in the Social Work program (BSW) at Appalachian State in Boone, NC. I love the mountains but the sad reality is that the cost of living is too high for the minimal jobs that are available.
I do want to attend Graduate school in NC (to save $) and the best programs I have found in small towns are at ASU, UNC-Chapel Hill, and ECU.
I will be seeking full time employment right out of school, which is the reason for my panic and search to relocate.
I do not like big cities so Raleigh, Charlotte, Durham and Fayetteville have been crossed off my list. I want to remain in an envirnment that has a small town feel and work within the rural populations. I have a 7 year old daughter, as well, so I would like to live in a relatively safe and active area, too.
I understand that Chapel Hill is nice and "liberal" which is cool. I also understand that the cost of living is probably just as bad as Boone. However there is more opportunity for employment in the Triangle.
My real question is about Greenville. ECU has a nice Social Work program, but is the Greenville area a nice place to settle and raise my daughter? Ideally I would like to keep my career in or around the city I attain my Masters degree in.

Or should I just choose UNCC and live out in the country. Charlotte is HUGE which = employment...maybe. The problem is, I hate humidity and i'm big into nature (which is why i adore mountain living!) Where could I still get some elevation but not be to far from school/work?
HELP!
Thanks for you'lls input!

Last edited by infjspirit; 01-07-2007 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 10:39 AM

21 views and no replies???!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infjspirit View Post
may I suggest you send a PM to "rsogirl"...I think she might be able to help you.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 PM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
Chapel Hill is expensive, including child care. Usually it is harder to get a job in a field near a school with a program in thatfield, since a lot of graduates want to stay in that school's area.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 PM

ty Alice; good insight!

I would love to stay in the mountain area and continue to attend Appalachian State in Graduate School. Mostly because I want to remain in the rural mountain area. I would likely consider seeking employment around Hickory, Morganton, or Wilkesboro.

The Triangle seems like a nice place to live, but I don't want to go broke trying to keep up; especially with raising a daughter!

I am going into the social services field, and we typically do not make a ton of money

Any other suggestions?

Old 01-09-2007, 06:55 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
ty Alice; good insight!

I would love to stay in the mountain area and continue to attend Appalachian State in Graduate School. Mostly because I want to remain in the rural mountain area. I would likely consider seeking employment around Hickory, Morganton, or Wilkesboro.

The Triangle seems like a nice place to live, but I don't want to go broke trying to keep up; especially with raising a daughter!

I am going into the social services field, and we typically do not make a ton of money

Any other suggestions?
As a single mom working a job that won't ever make you rich, I would say avoid the triangle for sure. Cost of housing is just too high, like it would be in Charlotte. However, you could go to UNCC and live out in Concord or Harrisburg. Those are nice smaller communities with good schools that are convenient to UNCC. But since you like the mountains so much, why not try staying at APP to finish your degree, THEN moving to whereever your best option for a job is at that time? Greenville is very flat, and a bit more humid being closer to the coast, so take that into consideration

Old 01-09-2007, 11:36 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Sorry, I fell asleep. What does your advisor suggest? Any Senior internships? Have you taken the GRE? Applied or been accepted anywhere? Seems as if you should start there first so you'll know your options and what is available to graduate students. Also, don't think that getting into graduate school is as "easy" as getting into undergraduate school. Take advantage of the GRE help that's available.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:14 PM

Thanks Mary,

Talking to my advisor is the next step. Luckily he is the director of our program here at ASU at him and I get along real well. As well as the rest of the Social Work staff. I've been hard at networking this past year. I am only a Junior level BSW thus far, but my future and planning is very important to me. I also have good connections with our local state chapter and have made personal connections with our state chapters director and her staff.

I work at our local homeless shelter as an overnight supervisor and have developed important connections with people in our community. I do not want to leave this area at all because of the connections, layed back lifestyle, and mountain views!

ASU is top choice (of course depending on GRE) but UNC Chapel Hill is the "nationally ranked program". I have been convinced that the Triangle is too pricey for a single social worker with a daughter. So WNC is where I need to stay...where exactly is the real question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina