Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,617 times

Advertisements

My mother is planning on moving to North Carolina at the end of the summer. We currently live in Maryland specifically Rockville which is only 25 minutes outside of DC on a good day. I am a college student that plans on transferring to a school in NC. We are used to diversity and great attractions. I can be seen at one of the hottest clubs in DC, or at the Smithsonian, or on a trail running. First I would like to know how diverse Charlotte and Raleigh are. My mother is from Liberia, West Africa and we have gotten used to the "melting pot" of races the DMV is known for. Secondly, I would like to know which city (Raleigh or Charlotte) is better for a woman in her 50s, i.e. my mother. She needs a place that is safe, a bit upscale, diverse, located close to entertainment and businesses but still has a surburban feel. Thirdly, which city is best for my brother and myself. My brother is 19 and in college as well, but when he comes home for breaks he will need a place that is trendy and full of youth. I am 23 and need to be in an upbeat, active environment. All suggestions, opinions etc. are greatly appreciated..... Thank-you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 08:59 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,184,577 times
First, as others will no doubt suggest or agree with, search and scan these forums (including the sub-forums for each area), there are tons of threads and posts about this topic.

Second, generally speaking my impression (I don't live in NC yet but have asked similar questions) is that the Fayetteville, Winston-Salem and Durham areas, and most places east (esp northeast) of Raleigh are the most diverse areas.

As to "what's better" that's really almost impossible to answer because that's such a broad and subjective questions, plus many areas offer a lot of the things you might be looking for - very generally speaking Charlotte is a much bigger city and so offers more "city stuff" like theater or sports or concerts or artsy things etc, but many of the areas right outside of Charlotte aren't as "diverse" so if you prefer there, I suggest living close as reasonably possible to the city. Raleigh appears to be more family-oriented, generally.

But regardless, you will for the most part not find anywhere near the diversity that DC has, so if that's a really big deal, you might want to think twice...

My take, for what it's worth -

Old 06-06-2008, 01:39 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,515,782 times
Most Diverse cities (areas) in NC are...

Charlotte
Raleigh
Greensboro
Winston-Salem
Durham
Asheville
Wilmington

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 06-06-2008 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 04:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,261,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Second, generally speaking my impression (I don't live in NC yet but have asked similar questions) is that the Fayetteville, Winston-Salem and Durham areas, and most places east (esp northeast) of Raleigh are the most diverse areas.

My take, for what it's worth -

Just like an outsider totally judging this state wrong.
How do you gather east of Raleigh and northeast of Raliegh is more diverse?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 PM

3,286 posts, read 8,520,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Just like an outsider totally judging this state wrong.
How do you gather east of Raleigh and northeast of Raliegh is more diverse?
I think he means more Black. If that is what he meant than that is true! To me it seems like people around here think Diversity means having African Americans. To me Diversity means having many different races.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,261,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I think he means more Black. If that is what he meant than that is true! To me it seems like people around here think Diversity means having African Americans. To me Diversity means having many different races.
which you will find the true meaning of diversity, different races, different religions, and sexual orientation. Diversity doesnt mean more of one race over another that isnt diverse.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:12 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,719,077 times
Interesting thread. Based on what you've said, my first recommendation would be the Raleigh area; in particular I'd recommend Durham. It seems to offer most of what you're looking for. There are a ton of young college students in the area given all the schools, and Durham has historically been a very popular place for blacks from the NE to retire too. I think it has to do with the city's history of having an area that was considered the "Black Wallstreet" (see link below)

SoulOfAmerica.com - Black Travel Guides, Photos & Events | Black Wallstreet

But I guess the big question is, what school are you going to transfer too. I'd think that would determine your decision. If somewhere like North Carolina Central appeals to you, which is a historically black school that is very nice in Durham, then you'd probably have very good luck transferring there. But if you're trying to get into any of the big ACC schools, all I can say is "good luck with that". On the flip side, somewhere like UNC Charlotte might be seriously worth considering. It is an excellent school, and has a very "very" diverse population. And Charlotte actually has a fare number of college students in the area too, as there are tons of private schools here. And, in general, Charlotte is just as diverse as the Raleigh area. Overall, you can't go wrong with either place.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:05 PM

"Diverse" is often (in fact most frequently nowdays) used as a politically correct term to really mean higher percentage of minorities, which is all I meant and which was pretty obviously (to me) the intent from the OP.

Again I based my comment on what I have heard repeated here and demographic data I have found on the internet. And PS I'm not saying it's good or bad per se, btw, in case anyone is feeling testy about it. yeesh

Old 06-09-2008, 07:34 PM

3,286 posts, read 8,520,718 times
Also to answer another one of the OP's questions. While you will find many races in both Raleigh and Charlotte, it is really nothing like suburban DC. I grew up in Fairfax County, VA (next to Montgomery, MD and very similar) and the Population in that county is almost 15% Asian and 15% Hispanic, etc. You won't find that kind of diversity here. After white and black, there is really no city of any good size that has ver 3 or 4% of Asian or Hispanic people.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-09-2008 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: edited due to member needs to direct question in direct message to a moderator of the forum

Old 06-10-2008, 01:28 PM

Well duh.

Again it really depends what is meant by the term. To say "after white and black" for many isn't necessarily saying much - eg an area that's about 50% white and 50% black is considered extremely "diverse."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina