Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,121,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GouldCottage View Post
We enjoyed a visit to Seagrove to check out the Pottery Trail. A lot of artists still throwing pots and wood fired kilns.

We also look at the festivals schedual and get to see a lot of towns that way.
Great idea!!! My sister always goes to Seagrove when they have some big promotion/sale . . . I am not sure when . . . maybe end of Summer or in the Fall. If i find out I will post it. That would be a great trip!!!! Thanks for adding the suggestion!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 05:06 PM

66 posts, read 284,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Great idea!!! My sister always goes to Seagrove when they have some big promotion/sale . . . I am not sure when . . . maybe end of Summer or in the Fall. If i find out I will post it. That would be a great trip!!!! Thanks for adding the suggestion!!!
Here's the link, we went last year and took the rabbit trails through Carthage and Robbins, it's easier to take the HWY but, we saw a lot of NC on the way.

Seagrove Pottery (http://www.seagrovepotteryheritage.com/se_events_003.html - broken link)

This is a top 10 event in the Southeast. This year it's Nov 22 & 23 2008

Old 06-13-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GouldCottage View Post
Here's the link, we went last year and took the rabbit trails through Carthage and Robbins, it's easier to take the HWY but, we saw a lot of NC on the way.

Seagrove Pottery (http://www.seagrovepotteryheritage.com/se_events_003.html - broken link)

This is a top 10 event in the Southeast. This year it's Nov 22 & 23 2008
Thank you so much for the link!!! I really do intend to go this year. We should get a City Data bus and head to Seagrove, LOL.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:47 PM

42 posts, read 182,621 times
Outer Banks- lighthouses, pea island, wild horses in Corolla
Shackleford Banks- wild horses
Duplin County winery
NC state fair in the fall
Cedar Point campground
Outdoor dramas- "Lost Colony" Manteo, "Unto these Hills" Cherokee, "Horn in the West" Boone
Biltmore House

Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,097,778 times
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can someone recommend a good day trip within a 2 hour radius of Charlotte?

Old 06-23-2008, 08:19 AM

180 posts, read 698,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can someone recommend a good day trip within a 2 hour radius of Charlotte?
I'll suggest Old Salem in Winston-Salem for you as well, especially if you are into early American history. Quite a bit of the old Moravian settlement is still intact, some of the buildings have been re-created but it still has a very authentic period feel to it. It's really pretty any time of year, but especially in the fall when the trees are blazing colors. Also, try to eat at the Salem Tavern if you can.

Take I-77 north from Charlotte to the I-40 junction, then 40 East into W-S, then Business 40 into W-S downtown. Follow the signs; Old Salem is easy to find. Should take you less than 2 hrs. total to get there.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
You are not hijacking it! The whole idea is to give suggestions so people will be inspired to take a trip right here in NC!!

I would make a trip to Blowing Rock. Lovely, charming downtown village and park. Not sure where you live -but you need to get to Hwy. 321 N and head towards Hickory and Lenoir . . . While you are in Blowing Rock, you can check out the BlueRidge Parkway, Moses Cone, Julian Price Lake . . . very scenic - great to take a picnic lunch and spread out and enjoy the views and breeze!

Here is a link so you can check out Blowing Rock:

Welcome to Blowing Rock, North Carolina, an upscale resort town featuring downtown shops, fine restaurants, attractions, recreation and more.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 26,535 times
Default Things to do in Hickory, NC.

Our search took us to our utopia on Lake Hickory, North Carolina. We take the kids to apple Orchards in town, and love going to the Science Center and Aquariam. We are about an hour northwest of Charlotte. The town has everything we need. Year round constant lake level, sandy bottom, no traffic, great schools, lots of golf, and all of the stores, malls, restaurants are less than 15 minutes away. And about half the price of Lake Lure, Lake James, or Lake Norman. Good Luck in your search!

Last edited by mm34b; 10-06-2008 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: No realty links.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:58 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,481,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docindigo76 View Post
I'll suggest Old Salem in Winston-Salem
Take I-77 north from Charlotte to the I-40 junction, then 40 East into W-S, then Business 40 into W-S downtown. Follow the signs; Old Salem is easy to find. Should take you less than 2 hrs. total to get there.
An alternative route from Charlotte would be I-85 north past Salisbury. Then take US 52 straight to W-S. After crossing over I-40, take Stadium Drive exit at Winston-Salem State U. You'll see directional signs for Old Salem. Depending on where you're coming from in Charlotte, it should be approx. 1 1/2 hour drive.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:12 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,481,904 times
I love pottery shopping in Seagrove. Be sure to visit the NC Pottery Museum while there.

For other pottery and fine craft fans, some of my favorites are

Piedmont Craftsmen Gallery - Downtwn Arts District in W-S (PCI Fair in Nov each year)
Penland School and Gallery - near Spruce Pine
Blue Spiral and New Morning Galleries - Asheville
Grovewood Gallery - Next to Grove Park Inn, Asheville
Toe River Studio Tours - self-guided tours in spring and early winter in Mitchell and Yancey counties
Southern Highland Guild Fairs - July and Oct, Asheville
So Highland Craft Shops - Folk Art Center (Asheville). Cone Manor House (Blowing Rock)
American Craft Council Fair - Civic Center, Charlotte - early Nov
Cedar Creek Gallery - Creedmoor (north of Raleigh or Durham)

Oh gosh, there are so many, but these are a few of my favorites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina