U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:56 PM

7 posts, read 31,666 times

Advertisements

Could you please detail some of the differences? I know that any area is going to have great areas and bad ares. I personally hate LA but it does have some great areas. I am interested in teh cultural differences. Any insights? Thank you for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
What you will want to tell your real estate agent is that you DO NOT WANT A BOX-IN-A-BOX house. The agents I've talked to out here seem to know what that means (no planned community with square houses inside a sqaure neighborhood).

My agent was able to find me a round home on a pedestal on a very wooded lot which my freinds refer to as "the tree house". So, I know there are places out there that will fit your requirements. A couple years ago when I was looking to buy I found a victorian replica on horse property. That sounds like something that you would have loved.

Any of the major areas (Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro) will have suburbs that are low crime (compared to LA) and be near hospitals.

Just be 100% sure that you're willing to change your way of life, because living out here is nothing at all like living in Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 06:21 PM

127 posts, read 555,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aween View Post
Thank You for the nice reply. Believe me, I am 100% sure that I want out of Los Angeles. What can you tell me about the major differences between LA and N.Carolina. The only thing that I really love here is the weather. I am just tired of seeing grocery carts in my front yard (people from LA know what I am talking about ) and traffic,crowds,smog, oh gosh...the list goes on and on..I need breathing room I guess.
I know all too well what you're talking about. I don't like the plastic people in California. I'll take the reddest of rednecks here over most of the people there.

People here don't seem to care as much what you LOOK like as much as what you have to SAY. People out here like to talk and be friendly, they'll take the time to chat. Many people here have a different set of morals than back in LA. You'll find more religious folks here, but IMHO they aren't annoying like those BMW driving yuppies out in LA.

Out here family seems to be more important than money.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:42 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,606,340 times
Default Hi L.A.:)

This is my very 1st post since finding this board yesterday hoping to get info about the tragic tornados in Central Florida. I am from S. Fl and lately I just haven't 'loved' fl like I did for the past 25 years. I too wanted exactly the type home you have described! About 4 years ago I started looking on realtor..com and I was enthralled w/ farmhouses! I read every book and magazine I could find about Western North Carolina along w/ copies of the Real Estate magazines...2 years ago june I found a farmhouse that prompted me to fly up and rent a car and meet w/ a Realtor that was very helpful on the phone...she even sent me more pics than the 1's on her website and I was off on my adventure! I didn't fall in love w/ the house I flew up to see but....here's the GREAT part...OMG!!! I fell in LOVE w/ turn of the century farmhouse on 2.7 acres. I LOVED the house before I even walked in the door! I closed on my house a year ago october and I never had 1 moments doubt that I was doing the right thing! Western NC mountains are SO AMAZING...I have literally been moved to tears by its beauty! I LOVE the 4 seasons, the people I've met are WONDERFUL and I strongly suggest you take the next step and research and make a trip and hook up w/ a Realtor and check it out! Good luck to you! Annie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina