Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,437 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a small town to move to after living in the Orlando area for the past 17 years. We'd like to live somewhere in Georgia, South Carolina or North Carolina, and want to be closer the coast than the mountains. We want to live somewhere that there is a pretty downtown area with mature trees and white picket fences. We'd rather ride our bikes or walk to the grocery store than to have to get in the car and drive. We love historic homes and wouldn't be opposed to buying one and renovating it. However, we don't want to spend a small fortune on a home either, so the cost of living has to be reasonable. Low crime (although most places probably have a lower crime rate than Orlando) rates are a must. A place that values racial diversity is high on our priority list too - places that are home to organizations like the Klan are out. Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Sounds like you are looking for Mayberry, a place that doesn't exist except on reruns of the Andy Griffith Show.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,437 times
Mt. Airy is the town Mayberry was based off of.. Edenton has many of the features I'm looking for.. It would be nice if you could be a little more positive.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:00 AM

66 posts, read 285,150 times
Try Southern Pines NC a little more than 2 hrs from the coast, but no hurricanes.

We are in the middle of renovating a Craftsman Cottage and can walk to downtown eateries and shops. Major shopping is less than 5 min away. A lot of different types of people mostly nice.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:00 AM

Well you are correct, Mt. Airy is still there, but I'm also being realistic, the town they were looking for sounds like 1950's Mayberry, and realistically those towns can only exist in reruns or movie sets today.

And even Mount Airy today ain't Mayberry with a crime rate 2 to 3 times the national average as compiled by city-data (this site) Mount Airy, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GouldCottage View Post
Try Southern Pines NC a little more than 2 hrs from the coast, but no hurricanes.
Yet, I figure Charlotte could have also boasted about no hurricanes until Hugo.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:44 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmedley View Post
My husband and I are looking for a small town to move to after living in the Orlando area for the past 17 years. We'd like to live somewhere in Georgia, South Carolina or North Carolina, and want to be closer the coast than the mountains. We want to live somewhere that there is a pretty downtown area with mature trees and white picket fences. We'd rather ride our bikes or walk to the grocery store than to have to get in the car and drive. We love historic homes and wouldn't be opposed to buying one and renovating it. However, we don't want to spend a small fortune on a home either, so the cost of living has to be reasonable. Low crime (although most places probably have a lower crime rate than Orlando) rates are a must. A place that values racial diversity is high on our priority list too - places that are home to organizations like the Klan are out. Does anyone have any ideas?
Oh that describes my hometown almost exactly! except for the coast part and the southern part. My mayberry (yes it really does exist today) is in PA, just north of Pittsburgh. If you don't mind going a little farther north, this little town is ALL that!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:

Wow, you watch too much TV.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:26 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
Well...you might not want to hear this, but you just described St. Petersburg, FL south of say 34th Avenue N, east of 16th street, north of 10th Avenue S., to the bay. Specifically Old Northeast/Historic Uptown/Crescent Lake/Euclid-St. Paul's. An absolute world away from Orlando and you can just drive over and check it out easily! Yes what you're looking for does exist and that's why I wish I could still live there.

As far as here, Durham probably has more crime than Orlando, but it does have the rest of what you requested if you go around 9th Street.

Quote:

Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Well...you might not want to hear this, but you just described St. Petersburg, FL south of say 34th Avenue N, east of 16th street, north of 10th Avenue S., to the bay. Specifically Old Northeast/Historic Uptown/Crescent Lake/Euclid-St. Paul's. An absolute world away from Orlando and you can just drive over and check it out easily! Yes what you're looking for does exist and that's why I wish I could still live there.

As far as here, Durham probably has more crime than Orlando, but it does have the rest of what you requested if you go around 9th Street.
Durham does not have more crime than Orlando. Stop spreading mis info. Durham is clean and cultured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina