U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2006, 04:08 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,698,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Oh Ok I think it was Maggie Valley. I like the beach though. Are those rural areas?
Pretty much so. The biggest city in the Mountain Region is Asheville with a population of around 70,000.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2006, 08:25 AM

192 posts, read 594,054 times
Quote:
Maybe I'll just dodge the hurricanes instead
a1m1700....

Please make certain that you educate yourself fully on the widespread, high degree of devastation a hurricane can wreak, in the Wilmington area, before you make a decision like that. I can't urge you more strongly. It's nothing to take lightly. And it's far from being just a remote possibility there. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2006, 08:34 AM

787 posts, read 3,325,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
a1m1700....

Please make certain that you educate yourself fully on the widespread, high degree of devastation a hurricane can wreak, in the Wilmington area, before you make a decision like that. I can't urge you more strongly. It's nothing to take lightly. And it's far from being just a remote possibility there. Good luck!

That is for sure. I was amazed at the damage that was nearly 200 miles inland during Fran and Floyd, 1996 and 1999. Until you have been there and seen it, television pictures don't do it justice. You see the homes and all but what they don't show you after the first few weeks is the time, effort and the heartbreaking loss these hurricanes cause. I remember when Bertha and Fran hit in 1996 six weeks apart. The checks for Bertha damaged hadn't even cleared when Fran hit almost the same areas. Raleigh was hit hard during Fran. And while Floyd was not a wind maker like Fran, he brought his own special disaster, flooding. 22 counties I believe were affected to some degree and I went to the Wilmington area afterwards and even 6 months later, it look like a bomb had exploded down there.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:09 AM

And opening season is only 2 weeks away.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:13 AM

104 posts, read 111,955 times
Good question. Are there any flood areas?

Old 05-18-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skout
Good question. Are there any flood areas?
Anything bordering a river is a potential flood zone. Just depends on the amount and speed of the rainfall. NC has 17 river basins. They are all a part of the Atlantic Basin.

Broad
New
Cape Fear
Pasquotank
Catawba
Roanoke
Chowan
Savannah
French Broad
Tar-Pamlico
Hiawassee
Watauga
Little Tennessee
White Oak
Lumber
Yadkin Pee-Dee
Neuse

Last edited by mm34b; 05-18-2006 at 10:05 AM..

Old 05-18-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Until you have been there and seen it, television pictures don't do it justice.
No, they truly don't.

I just want to throw in, for "further inland" NC'ers benefit....the coast is sometimes so devastated that television cameras do not even make it in for days, sometimes weeks. And sometimes they don't come, as by the time they can get in...it's old news.

It's typical for there to be no phones for days or weeks...and that includes land lines & cell phone coverage which greatly hinders accurate news coverage.

The news you see is rarely even the worst of it. When days, or weeks, have passed, when the flood waters have receded, & clean up by the residents has already begun, you don't get a ground zero telecast. We are used to the clean up & when the wind stops, we are dead at it, as we have to do the vast majority of cleanup ourselves. Plus the faster we clean up, the less time we are homeless.

Here are some thoughts for you to ponder....I don't know if some of you truly realize how remote many coastal areas of NC are....Do you realize there are places, on NC's coast, that are over an hour, from a stoplight, in any direction you travel? Stretches of the major thoroughfares that may go on for over an hour with no gas stations (and I mean on the mainland)? That's a long way to bring in a news copter with nowhere to land, or make a gas stop....IOW...too far...just doesn't happen in some areas. Maybe they feel like the population density is so low that we're not worth reporting on? Did you know that there are areas of NC's coast that had flooding into the 2nd story of their homes, courthouse & businesses during Hurricane Isabel...that's right...the 2nd floor! Ponder all those things for a moment if you would.

Here's an example to illustrate my point about the news coverage, or lack thereof...during Hurricane Floyd, I lived in Raleigh, but my family was on the coast. I could not get through, via land line phones or cell phones, but once in two weeks. I never once saw any coverage of the devastation, any further east than Washington (because that's the nearest TV station for the area)...it's another hour and a half to the coastline of the extreme mainland & further to the OBX. I now know, from those who were there, that FEMA couldn't even get in for days & days. It was simply not passible to travel in.

So, I'm just saying....if you think you've watched the tv and seen what happened, I'm telling you...you are wrong.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Are there any flood areas?
Absolutely. Many, many, many.

Not only is the info mm34b supplied to you about the rivers very pertinent...you might also realize that many towns are very close to sea level, in the Coastal Plain. And some towns are actualy below it, as they are in/surrounded by wetlands.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Anything bordering a river is a potential flood zone. Just depends on the amount and speed of the rainfall. NC has 17 river basins. They are all a part of the Atlantic Basin.

Broad
New
Cape Fear
Pasquotank
Catawba
Roanoke
Chowan
Savannah
French Broad
Tar-Pamlico
Hiawassee
Watauga
Little Tennessee
White Oak
Lumber
Yadkin Pee-Dee
Neuse
http://h2o.enr.state.nc.us/admin/maps/ncriverbasins3.gif (broken link)

Old 05-18-2006, 07:47 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,906,779 times
Wow I'm not sure where to move now. It makes me just want to stay put in the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina