U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2008, 03:12 PM
 
1,295 posts, read 4,109,710 times
Reputation: 423

Advertisements

I was just wondering coming from Richmond VA what are some good areas to raise a family. I would ask about crime but I'm sure no where in NC comes close to ours. I've had it all here from break ins to barely missing bullets by a few feet.. in my own home minding my business. My main issue was most of NC from what I've seen "looks" suburban. I'm a city person and I'd need the Broadband Internet,Digital Cable ect lol. I was interested in Durham I see they are building homes there. I am unsure what the life style is like there.. So are the cities Charlotte and Raleigh pretty close to what you'd expect from Richmond? I don't want to be in the middle of no where.

I'm leaving because i want a new change of life style, I realize this is not going to be much of a jump but still something new. For anyone that knows a bit about Richmond and NC will this be a jump for the better? Is the life style faster or more modern than Richmond? Is it a good place to look for medical careers (over what Richmond offers) and I'm just looking for a good safe location that's not expensive. I was looking at the Centex Homes i would really like reviews from the locations they have listed. I make about 31k a year here but im about to become a RN soon. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2008, 06:54 PM
 
1,211 posts, read 2,199,787 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
I was just wondering coming from Richmond VA what are some good areas to raise a family. I would ask about crime but I'm sure no where in NC comes close to ours. I've had it all here from break ins to barely missing bullets by a few feet.. in my own home minding my business. My main issue was most of NC from what I've seen "looks" suburban. I'm a city person and I'd need the Broadband Internet,Digital Cable ect lol. I was interested in Durham I see they are building homes there. I am unsure what the life style is like there.. So are the cities Charlotte and Raleigh pretty close to what you'd expect from Richmond? I don't want to be in the middle of no where.

I'm leaving because i want a new change of life style, I realize this is not going to be much of a jump but still something new. For anyone that knows a bit about Richmond and NC will this be a jump for the better? Is the life style faster or more modern than Richmond? Is it a good place to look for medical careers (over what Richmond offers) and I'm just looking for a good safe location that's not expensive. I was looking at the Centex Homes i would really like reviews from the locations they have listed. I make about 31k a year here but im about to become a RN soon. Thanks
Most of NC's large cities are more educated and modern than Richmond. History aside, Richmond is pretty sad actually. Great history, crummy city.

Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greensboro are all larger than Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Apex, NC
2,908 posts, read 7,045,568 times
Reputation: 2307
Also keep in mind that Richmond is only 60 sq. miles where as Raleigh is 115 sq. miles and Charlotte is more than double Raleigh. Richmond has nice suburban areas that are very similar to many areas that are inside the city limits of Raleigh (North Raleigh) and just right next door such as Cary, etc.

I'm from Northern VA, so not too familiar with Richmond, but there are many suburban areas of Richmond that look like suburban areas of the cities you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
648 posts, read 2,669,091 times
Reputation: 302
I grew up in Richmond and lived in/around Charlotte for five years, and the biggest difference to me is that Charlotte has very little history. This obviously includes colonial and Civil War stuff, but also includes the historical feel of the downtown core and offices/homes. So much of Charlotte was built in the last 40 years, while I always got the feeling Richmond has more of a "backbone" and a sense of place.

In general, crime is lower in Charlotte. Violent crime is there in pockets, but the overall rate is lower than in Richmond. Charlotte is still growing very quickly, which is good and bad. I prefer the Richmond area's slower, stable growth rate. The schools and transportation infrastructure are not overwhelmed as they are in Charlotte. I would guess RN options are about the same in both cities, but Charlotte has no hospital that rivals MCV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 AM
 
1,211 posts, read 2,199,787 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Also keep in mind that Richmond is only 60 sq. miles where as Raleigh is 115 sq. miles and Charlotte is more than double Raleigh. Richmond has nice suburban areas that are very similar to many areas that are inside the city limits of Raleigh (North Raleigh) and just right next door such as Cary, etc.

I'm from Northern VA, so not too familiar with Richmond, but there are many suburban areas of Richmond that look like suburban areas of the cities you mentioned.

Raleigh is also close to 400,000, where as Richmond is 200k. Wake county (Raleigh) will reach 900k by the end of the year. The reason I'm saying this is so the OP does not assume he/she is moving out into the boonies. It's actually the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Apex, NC
2,908 posts, read 7,045,568 times
Reputation: 2307
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Raleigh is also close to 400,000, where as Richmond is 200k. Wake county (Raleigh) will reach 900k by the end of the year. The reason I'm saying this is so the OP does not assume he/she is moving out into the boonies. It's actually the opposite.
I hear you and you're right, but what I'm saying is that there are nice areas of Chesterfield county, VA right outside the city limits of Richmond, where had it been in Raleigh those areas would be in the city limit.

Counties and cities are seperate entities in VA and so Richmond will tend to look worse in many catagories than say Raleigh due to it's size and economic conditions, because it does not take into account it's suburbs.

Don't get me wrong though I still like Raleigh a whole lot more than Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 11:05 AM
 
9,553 posts, read 26,166,990 times
Reputation: 9659
I lived in Richmond for over four years before coming to Raleigh in 2005. While there are certain things I enjoyed about Richmond (like renting in the Fan) I think on the whole the Raleigh area has a lot more going on for it. With RTP being such a hub of employment and the proximity of three Major Universities (NC State, Duke, Chapel Hill) you have more of a national and international presence here in the Triangle. I also think the employment options are broader and deeper here than in Richmond. If you get bored with Raleigh you can shoot over to Durham for the weekend or over to Chapel Hill. There is a lot to get involved with here.

Richmond is a cool place and you can find some beautiful areas to live in Henrico and Chesterfield County in VA, but I prefer life in Raleigh and Wake County by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 04:24 PM
 
1,295 posts, read 4,109,710 times
Reputation: 423
wow thanks. i pictured NC a little differently i have to admit. Glad its better than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 02:05 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,042,285 times
Reputation: 2746
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I also think the employment options are broader and deeper here than in Richmond.
If you're talking IT I'd say that's a coin flip. Richmond has huge HQs/regional offices for Cap One, Circuit City and Phillip Morris, among others. More such jobs here than you might expect. Also lots of med possibilities with MCV etc etc.

Also Richmond is closer to a ton more sites to see and places to go, eg Busch Gardens, the Water Park, historic Williamsburg and Jamestown, Monticello, wineries out the bazoo, fairly short hop to DC, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
 
1,211 posts, read 2,199,787 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
If you're talking IT I'd say that's a coin flip. Richmond has huge HQs/regional offices for Cap One, Circuit City and Phillip Morris, among others. More such jobs here than you might expect. Also lots of med possibilities with MCV etc etc.

Also Richmond is closer to a ton more sites to see and places to go, eg Busch Gardens, the Water Park, historic Williamsburg and Jamestown, Monticello, wineries out the bazoo, fairly short hop to DC, etc.
Your're forgetting, Raleigh is close to most of those places as well. Raleigh is just as close to Hampton Roads, as it is to Charlotte. I can get to Richmond in under 3 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top