Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:09 AM

11 posts, read 38,631 times

Advertisements

We have relocated from Ohio over to the Hickory area of Lake Hickory. The teaching job should be fairly easy to find just about anywhere in NC. Graphic Designs might be a little tougher unless you work for yourself on the internet. Other than that you might want to use a head hunting firm to help on job searches.

We chose the Hickory area as real estate taxes are dirt cheap and so was the housing compared to where we lived (Concord Township). It makes us close to the mountains, Charlotte is about an hour away. TN is on the other side of the mountains.

It just all depends on what you want. I agree, take a week or so to travel around. Having the internet should help in finding a real estate agent, give you an idea of the housing in all areas of the state ... send for the housing books....
www.realestate.com
www.Realtor.com (broken link)
from there you could pick an agent who has a website and go through that site to see listings

www.move.com

Help this helps a little.

Corine

http://bilbosceramics.tripod.com
http://bilbos.scent-team.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 12:13 PM

15 posts, read 45,104 times
Default Thanks Everyone

Thank You everyone for your help. It has been very useful. Any further advice is still welcome, too.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:45 AM

4 posts, read 12,622 times
Hi
My wife is looking at a job in Lumberton.Can anyone tell us about the community there? Were moving from michigan.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,271 times
Reader

My wife is from Lapeer. I am fom the Mtns around Asheville. I have pretty much lived in every part of the state. My wife prefers th mountains because they see more snow. But an earlier post was right in saying that the Raleigh area is better for teachers. Especially the towns of Pittsboro and Sanford as the urban sprawl from the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill areas hit these smaller communities. House is cheap compared to the cities and service and education jobs are abundant. Also they are not far commutes if you work in one of the larger cities.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:22 PM

106 posts, read 573,204 times
Default Another Michigander in the mix

My wife and I are also looking towards moving to NC, probably the Durham area.

She has a concen.
She is from the Phillipines (A Nurse) and is worried about being accepted into the community.
I am American

How "welcoming" is the area towards legal immigrants?

Old 01-13-2007, 09:06 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike jones View Post
My wife and I are also looking towards moving to NC, probably the Durham area.

She has a concen.
She is from the Phillipines (A Nurse) and is worried about being accepted into the community.
I am American

How "welcoming" is the area towards legal immigrants?
The Triangle is, in general, a relatively moderate/forward-thinking area and I wouldn't expect problems here. I've heard none of the sniping about "immigrants" in general that I've heard in other parts of the country.

In particular, I can say that Durham itself is an _extremely_ welcoming and progressive community with one of the most diverse populations in the area. Being home to a major university and medical center, there are students, faculty and staff from all around the world and this is a very tolerant and accepting place.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:51 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tday View Post
Hi
My wife is looking at a job in Lumberton.Can anyone tell us about the community there? Were moving from michigan.
Lumberton sucks, stay away from there, you'd hate it.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:09 PM

15 posts, read 45,104 times
Default Reasons Why?

Thanks for the tip, but why is it so bad?

Old 01-14-2007, 06:22 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
Oh, where can I start? It's a small town with high unemployment, high crime, not a whole lot going on to say the least. Look it up online, you'll see. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:45 PM

21 posts, read 76,473 times
www.ncpublicschools.org State level educ site, good info
www.city-data.com
www.wcpss.net Wake Co. Schools (Raleigh area)
www.nhcs.k12.nc.us New Hanover Co Schools (Wilmington area)
www.newsobserver.com Raleigh newspaper
www.wilmingtonstar.com Wilmington newspaper
This should help. I live in Raleigh and Wilmington--love them both.
Additionally, both are growing and diverse.
Good luck.
Lisa
www.TeamCurren.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina