U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:27 PM

64 posts, read 204,112 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to the Statesville / Mooresville area in a couple months from FL. Does anyone who has recently moved have any pointers to make the transition a little easier? We have 2 boys,ages 6 and 12. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 05:36 PM

942 posts, read 2,365,571 times
We will also be moving from Florida, our home is under contract and should be closing soon. We chose the Lenior area to relocate. What was a determining factor to choose Statesville/Mooresville area if I ask?

Old 01-11-2007, 06:00 PM

Hi! We chose that area for a few reasons. When we "fled" Florida for the hurricanes we went to Mooresville to check out the race teams (my husband is a photographer for a couple of the teams) and I fell in love with the people and the "feel" of the community. Lots to do in town, but 15 minutes later we'll be sitting quietly off the beaten path. Everyone was so helpful and even tried to give us a generator if we couldn't find one to buy.
We ended up coming back a short time later to check it out again and see if it was all we had thought it was. It was more. We ended up buying a nice 2 acre wooded lot in a quiet area on the border of Statesville and Mooresville. We also liked that we were encouraged to save as many of the trees on our lot as possible, which is what we want to do. Now all we have to do is sell this #@**##!! house! LOL

I've heard and read good things about the schools and it's not on the coast! The cost of living is MUCH less than here (as you have already heard, I'm sure). It has all the pluses of a small town with some of the pluses of a medium sized town. Only 25 minutes from Charlotte, a couple hours from the mountains and skiiing and even though I'm not a beach person, it would only be a few hours to take a weekend trip to the beach for my kids.

What part of Florida are you moving from? What is the magic potion to selling your house!!?? How long did it take you?

Cheryl

Old 01-12-2007, 06:44 AM

889 posts, read 2,846,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingLife View Post
Hi! We chose that area for a few reasons. When we "fled" Florida for the hurricanes we went to Mooresville to check out the race teams (my husband is a photographer for a couple of the teams) and I fell in love with the people and the "feel" of the community. Lots to do in town, but 15 minutes later we'll be sitting quietly off the beaten path. Everyone was so helpful and even tried to give us a generator if we couldn't find one to buy.
We ended up coming back a short time later to check it out again and see if it was all we had thought it was. It was more. We ended up buying a nice 2 acre wooded lot in a quiet area on the border of Statesville and Mooresville. We also liked that we were encouraged to save as many of the trees on our lot as possible, which is what we want to do. Now all we have to do is sell this #@**##!! house! LOL

I've heard and read good things about the schools and it's not on the coast! The cost of living is MUCH less than here (as you have already heard, I'm sure). It has all the pluses of a small town with some of the pluses of a medium sized town. Only 25 minutes from Charlotte, a couple hours from the mountains and skiiing and even though I'm not a beach person, it would only be a few hours to take a weekend trip to the beach for my kids.

What part of Florida are you moving from? What is the magic potion to selling your house!!?? How long did it take you?

Cheryl
Well at least a big huge "Welcome" from one transplant to another in Mooresville!My kids are older and not in school anymore so no advise on that oneBut my neighbors from NY are very happy with the schools here.
Charlotte maby in the middle of the night or day driving fast (!)25 mins. from Statesville/Mooresville area.Traffic is horendous on 77 so dont work down there.That Statesville Mall is not the best so dont think thats the only mall around. Concord Mills Mall and also ( my favorite) is at exit 18 so that will be around 20-30 mins.for you.Have you been to Birkdale Village??Thats a fun place to go especially in the summer.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:46 AM

Hello Lovinglife,

The contract for the house was very unexpected. It was right after the New Year and a man knocked on my door wanting to see the house. I was very hesitant but Im glad I ended up showing him. We had tried everything, open houses, fliers, marketing on the phone. Even reduced from 340k to 329k. We accepted this mans offer at 315k because we really want to leave. We live in Miami off of 137 ave and 184 st, past country walk. Im not sure if you know the area, very good neighborhood, Im in the forest view sub division by the Army reserve and Larry & Penny National Park (there both across the street from me on opposite sides).

Where are you selling your home in Florida?? I wish you good luck and when you least expect it it will happen.

Last edited by Pixie Dust; 01-12-2007 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-13-2007, 02:37 PM
CJF

30 posts, read 161,389 times
Well if it helps any I'm a teacher in the Iredell/Statesville School District.

Our public schools are some of the top ranked schools in the state.

The Mooresville area is getting crowded, but only because everyone is discovering what a jewel Lake Norman is.

I personally live north of Statesville in Yadkin County which is a very rural area and have a pleasant half hour commute to work everyday.

I have 3 boys ages 12, 9, and 3 who adapted to NC very well after moving here from upstate NY.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:05 PM

Thank you so much for the information. I've heard wonderful things about the schools and the town, and have experienced wonderful things with the people. Just can't wait to get there!

Old 01-13-2007, 10:18 PM

We are selling our home in Vero Beach. I believe that's about 3 1/2 hours north of Miami. (You'll have to wave as your leaving Florida!) We started out asking 350k but just lowered the price down to 328k. It's a beautiful home in a nice area, but things are just slow right now. I figure it's in God's hands, when it's time I'll know and we'll get an offer. Until then it's off to work every morning and check the messages every night. My boys are so excited they can't stand it. They love NC. I don't know about you but I've never liked Florida. A lot of very rude and disrespectful people. It's terrible to have to explain daily to your children why people just don't have decent manners and can't be kind to one another. It's hard for me to understand why people are that way because I wasn't brought up in a negative enviroment. But, was that me ranting on???? Oh Lord, I've been here too long! LOL How's the house closing coming? Hope all is well.
Cheryl

Old 01-13-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Well at least a big huge "Welcome" from one transplant to another in Mooresville!My kids are older and not in school anymore so no advise on that oneBut my neighbors from NY are very happy with the schools here.
Charlotte maby in the middle of the night or day driving fast (!)25 mins. from Statesville/Mooresville area.Traffic is horendous on 77 so dont work down there.That Statesville Mall is not the best so dont think thats the only mall around. Concord Mills Mall and also ( my favorite) is at exit 18 so that will be around 20-30 mins.for you.Have you been to Birkdale Village??Thats a fun place to go especially in the summer.
Oh Lord. I don't even know what Birkdale Village is! LOL
Cheryl

Old 01-13-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingLife View Post
We are selling our home in Vero Beach. I believe that's about 3 1/2 hours north of Miami. (You'll have to wave as your leaving Florida!) We started out asking 350k but just lowered the price down to 328k. It's a beautiful home in a nice area, but things are just slow right now. I figure it's in God's hands, when it's time I'll know and we'll get an offer. Until then it's off to work every morning and check the messages every night. My boys are so excited they can't stand it. They love NC. I don't know about you but I've never liked Florida. A lot of very rude and disrespectful people. It's terrible to have to explain daily to your children why people just don't have decent manners and can't be kind to one another. It's hard for me to understand why people are that way because I wasn't brought up in a negative enviroment. But, was that me ranting on???? Oh Lord, I've been here too long! LOL How's the house closing coming? Hope all is well.
Cheryl

I have lived in Florida going on six years, originally a midwest girl born and raised. And no I have never gotten used to the meanness and anger people carry around with them. I definately cannot wait to leave this place. I wish you all the luck in the world and Im sure the Lord will make the sale as painless as possible have faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina