U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2006, 10:09 PM

2,295 posts, read 281,713 times

Advertisements

I like this I can be 20 in NC? This move is getting better by the minute.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2006, 02:11 PM

10 posts, read 17,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
rwhite692

Where in NoCal are you from? I grew up in the East Bay and in Fairfield. From what I hear about Charlotte metro, it's starting to grow like Concord/Walnut Creek and all along I-680 did back in the 70s and 80s.

Hi Backfist we are in Tracy and Commute to Silicon Valley (Milpitas).

Old 05-23-2006, 02:15 PM

10 posts, read 17,413 times
Thanks to all for your replies and info!

I feel younger already!

Does anyone here have thoughts on employer Goodrich, headquartered in Charlotte?

Also...anyone care to share their experiences with the commute between Mooresville/Davidson and Charlotte? How long does it typically take you? What portions of the commute are the worst where traffic backs up?

Old 05-23-2006, 10:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
21 it is! Put me down for one as well. You bring the glasses and I will supply the rest!
It's a deal! I'm in.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,804 times
Hi...I am also moving from So. Cal to Charlotte in July for many of the above reasons. I'm coming back out to look at homes and townhouses in 2 weeks and would love some input on specific areas. I'm still single and would like to be somewhat close to uptown but not in it...I also prefer location over a huge home. My favorite spots so far are Dilworth, Myers Park, Elizabeth, certain areas of Sedgefield Park & I'm up in the air about Chantilly. Any opinions about what the feel of each of these neighborhoods, traffic, places to eat, any bars, etc. would be much appreciated! My main concern is price and the possibility of major renovations because the homes are from the 40's.

I appreciate any advise anyone can give me! Thank you!!!

Old 05-24-2006, 01:03 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,105,914 times
Kelfsten I have a close friend from NC and she told me although Myers Park is wonderful it is very pricey and is also considered the "old guard". In other words the families that live in that area are old southern families that have been there generation after generation. An "outsider" would not be well received. Of course that is only the opinion of a NC person i know. She could be all wet but I thought it would be worth you hearing. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2006, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,804 times
Wow, good to know thanks. Did she say anything about the other areas?
I definitely don't want to buy into an area for the next 5-10 years where people will not like me because I'm from Calif.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,754 times
well, my wife and I have a different view point... we grew up in New England, me near NYC and her near Boston. We moved down to NC in the late 80's and have watched the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) morph into a Yuppie based, nose-in-the-air developers dream world where no controls for growth are in place. If you have kids then you are welcome, married with no kids is tough. It is also a VERY conservative, knee-jerk bible-belt area where (except for the College Campus areas) Rush Limbaugh is King and 'W' is a God.

We moved one county down and are surrounded by rednecks. Pick your poison. The developers are now chasing the home folk out of the county by buying up farms and building 4000 sq. ft homes on .25 acre lots.

Mooresville is near Charlotte. Charlotte is a big-town wannabe whose claim to fame is banks and Tammy & Jim Bakker.

:-)

Old 01-04-2007, 12:23 PM

10 posts, read 33,818 times
We moved out to Wilson, NC from Riverside CA. But my folks lived in Martinez, Ca and so I spent a lot of time there. We like it out here but possibly looking to relocate to an area near Charlotte. (in the country). Anyone have any suggestion ???

Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,977 times
Red face Riverside, too.

I live in Riverside now after a move from Gilroy where I was born and raised. I am going to NC in April to scout out possibilites for living and employment. Need to get out of here! My family lives in Vallejo and Gilroy so I know exactly where you are talking about. So how is NC? I am looking into the Lake Norman or Lake Wylie communities. I am going out there in April to check things out and would love to hear what your experience has been so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina