Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:41 PM

24 posts, read 88,404 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Before anything, I'd like to thank everyone who posts questions and answers on this forum. I've done a lot of reading through previous posts and have made a list of what town/cities people recommend. I've learned about the climate, taxes, pollen, jobs, the school system, and more.

I would like to ask for specific recommendations on where to live in NC based on things my husband and I are looking for - just to narrow down the playing field, so to speak. (I apologize in advance for the length this post will probably be, just trying to give enough information for recommendations...)

We currently live in Dover, Delaware. We like the size of the town, about 35,000 people, and the fact that there's not really a city of any size within about an hour's drive (Wilmington, Philadelphia). We can drive to doctor's appointments, restaurants, the mall, the track, etc., all within 5-15 minutes, and the "downtown" area and Legislative Hall are 10 minutes from our house and yet we have countryside and corn fields around us, so we don't feel crowded. We wouldn't mind, however, having to drive a little further to get places...although having medical facilities close by would be GOOD. We'd prefer up to a half acre lot wtih some trees (I love watching the geese, squirrels and rabbits...). My husband is retired and I work from home so no commute worries - all I need is high-speed internet. Having moved to Dover from San Antonio, feeling safe is important to me - I know everyone wants to live in an area with a low crime rate. We have no children to burden the already overburdened (from what I've been reading) school system, but would like a decent district in case we ever have to sell. Inland would be good as we're not concerned about being close to the beach and would prefer not to have to worry "as much" about hurricanes. (I know no place is 100% safe.) I like cooler weather, so would be really greatful to know if there are any areas of the state that are not as hot in the summers. (I'd live in a freezer - but my husband, not so much. LOL) We've never had to learn about septic systems or wells, so I guess city water and sewer would probably be the best fit?

On a different note, and hoping I don't start a debate or argument, having moved from state to state I completely understand the comments made about so many people moving to North Carolina...it's (unfortunately??) happening everywhere. Having moved around a lot I'm always excited about the new people I'll meet and the new places I'll visit. My motto -accept, adapt, and appreciate the new.

Again, my thanks for your time and help with a question that has been asked so many times before.

Judy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:09 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
If you want cooler weather during the summer, then you have to head for the mountains. Asheville, Boone, Maggie valley area.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:59 PM

Default Anyone else have any suggestions?

I'm wondering if I've been too specific (nah, we don't want too much - LOL), if we're looking at too broad of an area, or there is no place like what we're looking for other than the Boone and Asheville area? I'm hoping I've not somehow offended anyone with my previous post/request for help....

Thanks, again.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:55 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
I guess what might have stumped folks is your comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMedType View Post
I like cooler weather, so would be really greatful to know if there are any areas of the state that are not as hot in the summers.
Not as hot as what? North Carolina is still on the East Coast, so heat and humidity are going to be present during the summer. Both get a little less as you go from East to West and from South to North. Based on that, I can't think of any place other than the mountains with their higher altitude. Other than the mountains, I think anywhere in the Piedmont area is nice, whether that be Charlotte Metro, Winston-Salem/High Point/Greensboro, or Raleigh/Durham, and any of their surrounding towns. I know that it's a tad bit cooler living near Lake Norman, so maybe somewhere near the water?

Old 06-24-2008, 08:09 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
You can check the historical climate for various areas of the state here.

Historical Climate Summaries for North Carolina | Welcome - Southeast Regional Climate Center

Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 AM

Default Cooler is better ....

Thanks, y'all.

I guess that statement was kind of subjective, huh?

My definition of cooler? Cooler than 90+ with humidity for the majority of the year. I lived in San Antonio for many years and man, was it HOT and humid with the Gulf Stream coming up our way.

I do appreciate the link and the help!

Judy

Old 06-25-2008, 12:32 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Thanks, y'all.

My definition of cooler? Cooler than 90+ with humidity for the majority of the year. I lived in San Antonio for many years and man, was it HOT and humid with the Gulf Stream coming up our way.

Judy
I'm with you. Anything over 85 is too hot for me to remain outside.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:19 PM

48 posts, read 179,807 times
Quote:
Thanks, y'all.

Judy
We are from Az but lived in DE for the last 4 years. I ve been in Charlotte for six months now and Boy! It's HOT and HUMID! Since you don't have to work in the Charlotte metro area I guess you could explore other areas of the state. I ve been in Raleigh(it's hot/humid) Charleston SC, hot too. don't really know how far to the west you have to go to have a milder summer.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,446 times
Hmm. I'm thinking hickory, NC in the foothills of the mountains about and hour north west of the city of Charlotte, which is where you would likely go for your big shopping and entertainment options(football, basketball, nascar).

But hickory in itself is a nice small city population of about 45,000.
They have most of the major conviences movies, Walmart, Target etc. Check it out. And it would be somewhat cooler than the eastern parts of the state in the summertime and close enough to the mountains to give you a nice dose of winter also. Also check out Roanoke Virginia. Hickory, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Thanks so much for the information, carolinatrendsetter.

We'd been considering Roanoke and will now add it to our list of possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina