U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:28 AM

156 posts, read 848,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
I'm not looking to be wealthy coming to NC, I am looking to get my FAMILY back !. I'm looking to be able to pay my mortgage and have my husband not have to work himself to death, NOT even to make ends meet. His new job in NC gets all that done with time to spare so that he can be a father, not just a supporter . I am looking forward to getting rid of a 9000.00 property tax on my 400,000.00 house that we bought 7 years ago for 139,000.00 which is only 1350.00 square feet. That is why I will be staying wherever we go. It is survival for us !!!!
I'm with you!! I can't work hard enough and still end up spending all my money on taxes etc..I am done here.. ( LI NY) I am so looking forward to enjoying life!! I just hope my house sells..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2006, 08:33 AM

64 posts, read 246,769 times
I'm not saying you shouldn't move in such a situation. The southern move may not be the answer to your problems though.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:42 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,076,087 times
Well at least those who move and then move back to where they came from don't ever have to wonder "what if". They tried and it wasn't for them, it's not going to work for everyone.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:53 AM

64 posts, read 246,769 times
Very true, just as my family and I have done. I'm just asking people to think about what they're doing.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:56 AM

156 posts, read 848,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman
Very true, just as my family and I have done. I'm just asking people to think about what they're doing.
My nephew moved from NY to Wilmington.. He LOVES IT! He will never come back here.. I just came back and going agiain for july 4th fireworks over thew river!!

Old 06-17-2006, 09:13 AM

107 posts, read 329,275 times
Quote:
I'm not saying you shouldn't move in such a situation. The southern move may not be the answer to your problems though.
What would then ????????????????????????????????????????????:confu sed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1
I'm with you!! I can't work hard enough and still end up spending all my money on taxes etc..I am done here.. ( LI NY) I am so looking forward to enjoying life!! I just hope my house sells..
I'll cross my fingers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Are you saying that you have done it and are regretful ?

Last edited by Yac; 06-17-2006 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-17-2006, 09:24 AM

110 posts, read 365,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
Are you saying that you have done it and are regretful ?

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. When you first move here, you will probably like it. Its a change. But after a few more years the "change" will wear off. You will probably start missing things back home and suddenly life in the new south doesnt seem all that great anymore. You will discover a Walmart here is the same as a Walmart up north.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:59 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,899,381 times
Quote:
I think most people move to NC and the south in general for financial reasons. After they've been here awhile they figuire out money isn't everything. NC is a beautiful state,however it's not like other places in the country with better weather and more jobs. People come here with the illusion of low taxes, but when you get here you find out there are a lot of other costs you didn't know about. I think one major problem is the population has grown too big, too fast. Schools are overcrowded, small suburban areas are becoming overun, etc.. Look at the forums from other states. There are a lot of people who moved south that have decided they would rather deal with their issues back where they are originally from. 90% might be too high a figuire, but I'll bet the number is considerable
Lakeman, you are 100% correct. I sent you a reply to the PM you sent me too. I hope it helps. I think the figure is more like about 35%. But it's still fairly significant. People get too excited about things and just drop everything to move here and it is sad. To be fair, there are many people who move here and stay and love it.... but its not for everyone. I've seen many families move here to have a lower cost of living and more job opportunites... and then move home within 3 years. It tends to be the people from really close extended families. Where the parents grew up in families with very close brothers and sisters, thus the children are more like brothers and sisters with their cousins. And aunts and uncles and family friends are more like "extra parents". I notice a trend of a lot of people moving here and staying that may have a very close nuclear family, but aren't really as close with their parents and siblings. It depends on the individual or the family that moves here. From the PM you sent me, it sounds like you are the first as opposed to the latter.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:00 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,899,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. When you first move here, you will probably like it. Its a change. But after a few more years the "change" will wear off. You will probably start missing things back home and suddenly life in the new south doesnt seem all that great anymore. You will discover a Walmart here is the same as a Walmart up north.
OH MY GOD. I'm really not alone! Where did you move to and from? Be carefull. Most of the people on this forum are really nice people and will appreciate your opinion even if they don't agree with it.... but there's a few others who won't be so kind.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 06-17-2006 at 10:04 AM..

Old 06-17-2006, 10:27 AM

110 posts, read 365,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
OH MY GOD. I'm really not alone! Where did you move to and from? Be carefull. Most of the people on this forum are really nice people and will appreciate your opinion even if they don't agree with it.... but there's a few others who won't be so kind.

So you are saying you dont agree with my post? All I can say is, is that I post the truth. You may not like it or agree with it.

Yes, I am a native of NC. It is frustrating to see so little thought put into planning for building. This is my home, this is my hometown. To see everything change before your eyes and not a have a say in it is frustrating at times. You would feel the same way in my shoes. To have a Walmart or strip mall placed not even a mile from your house, I dont think many people would enjoy that.

I do post that the area is very nice, even with all my gripes about the growth I will not move away, not as long as I can afford to stay.

Last edited by nctarheel; 06-17-2006 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or