U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:33 AM

22 posts, read 64,875 times

Advertisements

Hello nctarheel and i'minformed,
I guess the same can be said of moving just about anyplace. When we moved to Phoenix in '99 we thought we had it made..new friends, new things etc. But as you say WalMart is still WalMart and they are everywhere. It appears the personal attitude(s) we take with us are really the driving factors. Ofcourse, local economy, leisure activities, schools and all the rest do come into play but when push comes to shove we are still the same people as we were when we moved to start with. Yep...the grass is always greener...but at least you have grass...I have dirt, rocks and cactus. So we can only try. If we get to make the move my hubby and I will surely try and look you (and others...Texas Hold'em anyone??) up and have some fun.Most here do seem nice and friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2006, 10:36 AM

128 posts, read 606,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel
So you are saying you dont agree with my post? All I can say is, is that I post the truth. You may not like it or agree with it.

Yes, I am a native of NC. It is frustrating to see so little thought put into planning for building. This is my home, this is my hometown. To see everything change before your eyes and not a have a say in it is frustrating at times. You would feel the same way in my shoes. To have a Walmart or strip mall placed not even a mile from your house, I dont think many people would enjoy that.

I do post that the area is very nice, even with all my gripes about the growth I will not move away, not as long as I can afford to stay.
FL is the same way!!!! Waaay too much growth. It's just that way all around except areas like KY, IN, WI, that's just the way it goes people!!!

Old 06-17-2006, 10:43 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,081,155 times
The first time I went back w/hubby 6 years ago, he said we were on a 5 year plan and that is where we are going to be. I honestly could not see myself living their. Then the 2nd time, we looked through some new homes and I still wasn't convinced. The last time I was out a year and 1/2 ago, we were able to venture out on our own. You can not compare it to Calif at all, it is totally different. The food, scenery, pace, cost, people it is a different lifestyle. So we definately have been thinking of moving for a while now and weighed our pro's and con's. Shopping is shopping, I work in the apparel industry and I know I can buy the same clothes back their as out here. The only thing different about your Target's and Walmarts, they carry more NASCAR stuff! Infact y'all have NASCAR dedicated stores. I went into one in Myrtle Beach & when they guy asked if I need any help, I said yes, I'll take one of everything! He looked at me w/a blank stare, hmmm. Hubby had to drag me out. Trust me I made up for it at the race shops.

Anyways, I hope everyone has thought and weighed out there decisions carefully. Good luck to all.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:54 AM

22 posts, read 64,875 times
Question Hang in there....

Bummer...really! Chandler is a great area..nice homes etc. We are waiting until next fall to sell...we have a new development by Pulte going up near us so the competition is tough. Have you considered a "for sale by owner" with your own ads in the Republic (I hate to even say that papers' name but we do what we must). I'm not far from you....if I hear of anyone at work etc who is looking in your area I will let you know on this site if you like. But please don't hold your breath....I have good intentions but the situation is cloudy right now.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:06 PM

64 posts, read 246,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
Are you saying that you have done it and are regretful ?
We did it but I guess I'm not regretful. It's given me a chance to see what's really important. I'm not telling anyone not to move, just to be prepared.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:31 PM

107 posts, read 329,427 times
Quote:
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. When you first move here, you will probably like it. Its a change. But after a few more years the "change" will wear off. You will probably start missing things back home and suddenly life in the new south doesnt seem all that great anymore. You will discover a Walmart here is the same as a Walmart up north.
As with EVERYTHING in life, yes the novelty will wear off , it would wear off even if I just moved one town over on Long Island ! But the difference is , Yes I do love Long Island BUT its just not an option for my family anymore, so the only thing that I ask is for friendliness when I get there ! I would do the same under that condition if people wanted to move to long Island.. I have to say on all of my visits that I have only encountered friendliness, which is awesome . But some postings on this forum are opposite. So for everone who is just trying to educate us, my hats off to you and I thank you for your advice !! In the long run we are all just humans , not yankees, and humans should be there for one another no matter where we go !

Old 06-17-2006, 12:33 PM

693 posts, read 2,550,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman
People come here with the illusion of low taxes, but when you get here you find out there are a lot of other costs you didn't know about.
Like what for example? I can't think of any cost in NC that you wouldn't have somewhere else.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:37 PM

107 posts, read 329,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman
We did it but I guess I'm not regretful. It's given me a chance to see what's really important. I'm not telling anyone not to move, just to be prepared.
I can appreciate that then , THANKS

Old 06-17-2006, 12:43 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,912,718 times
Quote:
So you are saying you dont agree with my post? All I can say is, is that I post the truth. You may not like it or agree with it.

Yes, I am a native of NC. It is frustrating to see so little thought put into planning for building. This is my home, this is my hometown. To see everything change before your eyes and not a have a say in it is frustrating at times. You would feel the same way in my shoes. To have a Walmart or strip mall placed not even a mile from your house, I dont think many people would enjoy that.

I do post that the area is very nice, even with all my gripes about the growth I will not move away, not as long as I can afford to stay.

No. I agree with you whole heartedly and have been saying the same thing for a while on this forum. Most people had the opposite opinion of mine, and while most of them were nice and just politely disagreed.... others called me a whiner or other things. You're right.... the grass is always greener and people (some, not all) are moving here for all the wrong reasons!

Old 06-17-2006, 12:46 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,912,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriiter-m
Hello nctarheel and i'minformed,
I guess the same can be said of moving just about anyplace. When we moved to Phoenix in '99 we thought we had it made..new friends, new things etc. But as you say WalMart is still WalMart and they are everywhere. It appears the personal attitude(s) we take with us are really the driving factors. Ofcourse, local economy, leisure activities, schools and all the rest do come into play but when push comes to shove we are still the same people as we were when we moved to start with. Yep...the grass is always greener...but at least you have grass...I have dirt, rocks and cactus. So we can only try. If we get to make the move my hubby and I will surely try and look you (and others...Texas Hold'em anyone??) up and have some fun.Most here do seem nice and friendly.

lol. I'm talking about moving anyplace different from where you grew up or where your family is. NC seems to be a top destination for those seeking to do that. Obviously everyone shouldn't stay in the same place they grew up for all eternity because the world would never move on if that were the case. But it just seems that an excess amount of people are doing that nowadays. But, yes, you are right. The grasss literaly is greener here in NC (or anywhere on the east coast for that matter) than it would be the in the desert!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or