U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 05:03 AM

285 posts, read 1,006,063 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to contribute to wriiter that I moved from Scottsdale, AZ to Charlotte, NC area. I have lived in master planned communities in both areas. In Scottsdale. we erected a custom playset in the back yard. It was angled near the back corner of the stucco wall/fence. The requirements stated that it had to be 7 feet from the fence. I have no idea why or how we got nailed for it being 6 or 6 and a half feet, but we did drag it a few inches to be compliant. Crazy.
Now in North Carolina, we have a HOA who seems to work for the good of the community. The focus seems to be on things like preventing pool vandalism, keeping the common areas pristine, the things that make the community safer.
In Arizona, I had friends who lived in neighborhoods where it was against the neighborhood covenant to keep your garage door open. So, you are out in the driveway, playing with your kids, on bikes, and a thousand other plastic toys, and you get a drive by, inititated by an irked neighbor, reminding you to shut your garage. Now that is over the top.
Anyway, this message is two fold, been there on the HOA, and also parallel moves, AZ to NC. Best to you.
Peggy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2006, 05:14 AM

64 posts, read 246,799 times
5 years from now, I'll see 90% of you back where you came from.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:18 AM

543 posts, read 1,636,045 times
I found another forum that is for HOA managers and have been reading it a bit. It's called HOATalk, search for it. You have to sign up(free) and it's quite interesting to read.

It does seem that most of the HOA's are for the best of the community and most of the 'nuisance' type complaints come from homeowners who are driving around and have nothing better to do.

Seems most of the HOA management places hate these complaints as much as anyone else but have to respond in some fashion if the complaint is real.

There are also a lot of homeowners who live in HOA subdivisions and agreed to the rules when they purchased but then decide that the rules don't apply to them and don't need to follow them and then the fun begins. It's amazing what some of the HOA folks deal with and what some of the home owners deal with.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:12 AM

285 posts, read 1,006,063 times
I am in the 10% of staying right here....we have moved quite a few times, and have lived here for 6 years. That is why I am so passionate about local and state issues.

Last edited by pegmomof4; 06-17-2006 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-17-2006, 06:32 AM

138 posts, read 705,279 times
Default Just curious

Hi Lakeman.

I'm just curious as to why you think this will heappen. Do you think most are expecting too much of NC? Or are most people likely not be happy anywhere and be stuck in "the grass is always greener" mindset? Have you seen this happen first hand? If so, could you share some of what you've seen and why it happened? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman
5 years from now, I'll see 90% of you back where you came from.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:55 AM

64 posts, read 246,799 times
I think most people move to NC and the south in general for financial reasons. After they've been here awhile they figuire out money isn't everything. NC is a beautiful state,however it's not like other places in the country with better weather and more jobs. People come here with the illusion of low taxes, but when you get here you find out there are a lot of other costs you didn't know about. I think one major problem is the population has grown too big, too fast. Schools are overcrowded, small suburban areas are becoming overun, etc.. Look at the forums from other states. There are a lot of people who moved south that have decided they would rather deal with their issues back where they are originally from. 90% might be too high a figuire, but I'll bet the number is considerable

Old 06-17-2006, 07:02 AM

138 posts, read 705,279 times
Quote:
I think most people move to NC and the south in general for financial reasons. After they've been here awhile they figuire out money isn't everything. NC is a beautiful state,however it's not like other places in the country with better weather and more jobs. People come here with the illusion of low taxes, but when you get here you find out there are a lot of other costs you didn't know about. I think one major problem is the population has grown too big, too fast. Schools are overcrowded, small suburban areas are becoming overun, etc.. Look at the forums from other states. There are a lot of people who moved south that have decided they would rather deal with their issues back where they are originally from. 90% might be too high a figuire, but I'll bet the number is considerable
Thanks for the response. My wife and I haven't made the move yet, but are considering one - not under illusions that we'll be that much better off financially - but to start a business.

I have some similar concerns about growing too quickly. I look at this forum compared to others and this one has by far the most posts. It just seems like NC is experiencing a boom right now and it's fair to question if a lot of the cities can handle it.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:59 AM

107 posts, read 329,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj67
We already bought a house in Clayton and are in the process of selling our house here on long island. In fact we just got a viable offer yesterday (thank god). We had to lower our price and then the offer is $15 grand under the new listing price but we decided last night to just take it and not make a counter offer because the market is REALLY SLOW. We don't want to take a chance at losing this sale. We live in Western Suffolk and have 2 children and so looking forward to moving but we are very sad to be leaving family and friends.
Hi, Congratualtions on your house sale. We are in suffolk ourselves. We sold our house in one week off the website Craigslist.org. It is totally free so I ddint pay real estate fees and I got market value for our house ! When are you guys moving ?

Old 06-17-2006, 08:05 AM

107 posts, read 329,332 times
Quote:
I'm not looking to be wealthy coming to NC, I am looking to get my FAMILY back !. I'm looking to be able to pay my mortgage and have my husband not have to work himself to death, NOT even to make ends meet. His new job in NC gets all that done with time to spare so that he can be a father, not just a supporter . I am looking forward to getting rid of a 9000.00 property tax on my 400,000.00 house that we bought 7 years ago for 139,000.00 which is only 1350.00 square feet. That is why I will be staying wherever we go. It is survival for us !!!!

Last edited by krusklan; 06-17-2006 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-17-2006, 08:20 AM

212 posts, read 848,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriiter-m
Chandler? We are in East Mesa. sorry about the for sale signs after Aug, and you are so right the market has slowed down a lot. Out of curiosity have they offered an alternative method to yard signs?? Wish you the very best....one good thing...once you move someone else can pay the fine for the weeds in the rocks.
Oh yes, we can "pay" a small fee to have it advertised in the monthly publication they put out..how stupid is that...the only people who get the publication are those that already live in the development and secondly, we can post it in the club house. I don't think anyone is going to go to the clubhouse to see if there are any houses for sale. My realtor said that with the market so slow there will be realtors that will not take the listing here..it will only make it more difficult to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or